Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

2 Flashback Arrestors

some people says that 2 Flashback Arrestors is more safe and some others says no so which is right

They make two different kinds; ones that fit at the regulators and ones that fit onto the torch. The ones on the torch keep the gases from accidentally burning back into the hoses and the ones at the regulators keep the gases from burning back into the bottles, should a hose get severed and ignite (which is about as much fun as it sounds). This is the setup we currently use.

Technically, the pressure of the gases should prevent any burnback, but why take the chance?
    Last edited by mb_welder; 11-09-2010 at 06:46 PM.

you probably read this thread....http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=39350

check this series of video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ohV...eature=related

its a bit disconcerting the debate between makers of arrestors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ohV...eature=related

interesting video that shows 5 stacked check valves not getting the job done.

conclusion

there is no solid conclusion just follow your hart

Roger Guest
    I like idea that new type of flash back arresters will stop gas flow when they overheat stopping uncontrolled flame getting to hose or tanks. That can really save lives. Great that innocents lives are not depending on someone running to cylinder valves and turn them off when they would rather run away.

I need to clarify my statement. We use check valves on the torch body and flashback arrestors at the regulators.

Question So do all torches have reverse-flow check valves?

So do all torches have reverse-flow check valves at the torch? So even with reverse-flow check valves I should still add flashback arrestors at the torch? I see they sell Reverse Flow Check Valves, Regulator to Hose as well. Now I'm really confused.
    Last edited by jwhitt; 08-04-2017 at 06:58 PM.

My torches (Victor) purchased years ago came without any flash back arrestors. I added the ones at the regulator years ago... The phrasing of "check valves" is a bit confusing as I always understood the term was flashback arrestor applied to ones at torch and ones at regulators... Maybe some newer torches have them built into torch body, but my system has them as external add-ons...

Dale
    Last edited by Dale M.; 08-05-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhitt View Post
    So do all torches have reverse-flow check valves at the torch? So even with reverse-flow check valves I should still add flashback arrestors at the torch? I see they sell Reverse Flow Check Valves, Regulator to Hose as well. Now I'm really confused.
    Not all torches have built-in arrestors, but all modern Lincolns do, and so do some other makes, and many of the Chinese spin-offs. Many of the arrestors you buy are for heavy-duty cutting and heating, (no OA welding) and have built-in check valves that operate at higher pressures. Some separate check-valves are also this heavy-duty type and should not be used if you want to do OA welding or brazing.

If you have a torch with built in arrestors, you should probably use a general purpose combination arrestor-check-valve on the regulators, and nothing else, balance your torch when welding or brazing, and you will be perfectly safe. If you have a torch without the arrestors, you might want to add a pair of light-duty torch check valves,
    with the combi-arrestors on the regulators, but if you balance your gases when welding, brazing, or heating, even these are only needed for cutting protection.

There are several errors in the thread Mike cited above, and I will point them out some day when I get a round tuit!
    Last edited by Northweldor; 08-06-2017 at 05:07 PM.