Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    boykjo; have you tried this with Natural Gas? I know you would need a different Reg. just curious if the holes would need to bigger or smaller, same
    Thanks
    Last edited by poolie_p; 02-01-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Don, here's the pic of the end of the regulator hose.

heres a link to where u can get untested unfinished pipe in charlotte

http://www.mechsupply.com/
    Last edited by boykjo; 02-01-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Miller trailblazer 301G
    Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
    K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
    Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
    Hobart HH187
    Harris DLX STLWKR
    O/A & chemolene
    WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Quote Originally Posted by poolie_p View Post
    boykjo; have you tried this with Natural Gas? I know you would need a different Reg. just curious if the holes would need to bigger or smaller, same
    Thanks
    No I havent. messed with natural gas a few times. Seems to be very finicky....

Miller trailblazer 301G
    Hobart HH187
    Harris DLX STLWKR
    O/A & chemolene
    WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Boykjo here are the pics. First is the smoker, we're getting there but still have some finish work to do. Next is the yellow flame (yes - carbon monoxide), next is pic of the manifold, then the regulator asm, then the orfice out of the manifold flow control valve, and finally the orfice at the end of the regulator hose. This hose end orfice appears to be 2 to 3 times the size of yours, and may well be the problem. The black pipe diameter is 1" ID, with 1/8" wall. I did get some 1.5" ID black pipe today (it was already in process) and can build that up into a burner to try if necessary. Or I can see if I can find a reducer that will take the end of the regulator hose down to a smaller orfice. Boykjo - what do you suggest. And,,,thank you very much for the help.
    Don

Your Orifice on the regulator hose end is definitely causing the problem. Order or pick up new orifice and post results as per our conversation

Joe

Miller trailblazer 301G
    Hobart HH187
    Harris DLX STLWKR
    O/A & chemolene

Hi Joe, All is well and I have blue flame. I filled the 1/8 NPT adapter at the burner tube, about 1/4 full with solder, and then drilled a center hole with a #55 drill (.055"). THe solder should hold up fine as it is well away from the burner slots , and is located outside of the smoker. This did the trick as you suspected. I am attaching pics. FYI, I also noted that the slots cut into the blackpipe with the band saw are the same width as a sawzall blade. Again, thank you for all your help. Don

Good deal!

Remember, when you install your burner(s) you will need to ventilate the area around the burner. I drilled a 1 1/2" hole at the bottom of each end of the drum and installed a trap door in the middle. I also use the trap door to add wood chips. I have an expanded metal tray that lies across my burner to create the smoke.

Good luck with your cooker.................

Miller trailblazer 301G
    Hobart HH187
    Harris DLX STLWKR
    O/A & chemolene

Hi Joe,
    We have a single 1.5" hole in the bottom of the smoker for air input and for drippings. We added a sliding door on the back end so that we could regulate for more air, and also a place to enter our tin of hickory chips for smoke flavor. We will add more bottom holes if we find that we need even more air.
    I found that Franklin Machine sells brass 1/8" npt orifices that will work just fine. Their p/n 158-1111 is a #55 (and they have others). They are wholesale so one would need to find a retailer to buy from - there are some on the web. I will try my solder filled nipple first. Solder melts at about 380 degrees F, but I should be OK with mine located outside the smoker. Another option would be to braze rather than solder, that would raze the melting temp to over 800 deg F. We should be able to finish the smoker shortly, and I will post pictures.
    Thanks
    Don

Hi Joe,
    The smoker is done and really came out well. We are doing a BBQ this weekend for the family and everyone is looking forward to it (of course we had to to do a practice BBQ last weekend). We wound up feeding each 5' tube burner from it's own propane tank. And then, turn only one on to cook with. The other burner will only be used if the tank on the first one runs out during a BBQ. One 5' burner easily keeps the temperature at 250 Deg. F. Trying to use both burners off of one tank with a "T" connection didn't work. When trying to light the second burner, the first one would go out. So we modified our design and will use only one burner at a time.Thanks for all your help
    Don

Attachment 25994

Holy hamburger! You could feed an army off that thing!

Dave
    Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
    MM180
    SP125+

cookin'

Here is the promised picture of the first family BBQ on the new smokerAttachment 26123
    Don

Burner Orifice

This is a really interesting thread , the burner idea and the smoker project are really great. Also, I can finally add something to the thread that that I have done.
    I have made a burner orfice using a Zerk fitting that is threaded for 1/8" NPT by grinding off the spring retainer from the threaded end and removing the spring and check ball. The 'nozzle, end becomes the orifice and you have 1/8" NPT on the other end to connect into whatever you make the mixer assembly from. Real easy and the price is right. My 2 cents.

I am thinking of making something similar to this for a log igniter in my fire box.

anybody tried this??
    suggestions on what to do differently for an igniter?

my main concern is keeping the holes from getting plugged with ash.

Put the holes or slots to the bottom side of your burner pipe...That's the way my commercial restaurant char-broiler was made.

Big ole commercial dishwashers had stainless tubes in them with the ideal slots already cut.