Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    ...what keeps the fire from sucking inside the holes, going up the hose, and in the bottle, causing a large KABOOM.

-Ryan
    Not a stupid question.

the pressure inside the hose keeps oxygen from entering the hose. without O2, no fire.

Dave
    Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
    MM180
    SP125+

Quote Originally Posted by tigster View Post
    is this "at least" 4 inches? that is, if i wanted to T it first, then start making the cuts, it would more than likely be more than 4 inches. so, would that situation be ok? thanks.
    On a tee I wouldnt slot the pipe with the gas mixer. Install 3 way coupling and make cuts down the t to the end caps. see pic

Miller trailblazer 301G
    Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
    K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
    Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
    Hobart HH187
    Harris DLX STLWKR
    O/A & chemolene
    WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Quote Originally Posted by whateg0 View Post
    Not a stupid question.

the pressure inside the hose keeps oxygen from entering the hose. without O2, no fire.

Dave
    How does an acetylene torch keep the flame outside of the tip then? There's oxygen in that mix!
    Metallurgy

Quote Originally Posted by metallurgy View Post
    How does an acetylene torch keep the flame outside of the tip then? There's oxygen in that mix!
    The O/A torch doesn't always keep the flame outside the tip. If you don't have enough pressure you'll get popping. This is where the flame quickly burns back inside the tip, has a tiny explosion, and then often relights back outside the torch. In really severe cases, bad things can happen!
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart T225 Stick
    Hobart Handler 180
    Airco O/A Rig
    ESAB W-200 O/A torch

That happened a LOT when i started until you told me to turn it up.

I got a little angry, not only because of that, but the gas flow was so low the flame was crooked. It's a lot more satisfying when it doesn't go out every inch of welding.

Winter break started today, so I would set up my welder (finally), but it just so happens that i have to go on a road trip that takes up all but a day or two of the break. So, assuming I get back in time, i should have it set up in two weeks. I'm real excited, I've got my list of everything i've ever wanted to make but couldn't. I also have a plan to make a really serious air powered potato cannon, after I practice for a few months. It's gotta be airtight...
    Metallurgy

Metallurgy, I know what you mean about not having the time to do what you want to do. I had planned to spend tomorrow playing in my shop, but I've gotten side-tracked. Oh well, like they say, "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." Anyway, glad to see that you're still at it, posts some pictures of your projects when you get them done.

Boykjo, this pipe burner post is excellent. Thanks for posting and thanks for the pics.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart T225 Stick
    Hobart Handler 180
    Airco O/A Rig
    ESAB W-200 O/A torch

I hope I'm not too late with a question about building the tube burner. We are building a pig smoker out of a 250 Gal fuel oil drum, and I need 2 tube burners just like your design. I followed the plans with the exception that I used Black Pipe (couldn't find the untested pipe). I also made the pipe 60" long (instead of approx. 20"). I started my first band saw cut about 10" from the gas/air end cap (instead of 4"). My problem is that I have a yellow flame, meaning incomplete combustion. Any suggestions on how to correct this? Thanks for the help. Don

Remove the pipe out of the drum and test the unit first preferably when its dark out. If it is blue then you are devoid of oxegen and need to drill two holes with a two inch hole saw at each end of the bottom of the barrel. I also installed a trap door in the middle of my barrel for oxygen and wood seasoning. You said you have two pipes. How are they laid out. You may need to build a manifold and run a gas mixer for each pipe. did you make a u burner with one mixer? It may be because of the black pipe. Not sure. what about your regulator? does it have the small hole at the end.I need some more info. I'm sure we'll have you burnin in no time. Now you know I will have to sample some of the tasty treats........... picture would be very helpful
    Last edited by boykjo; 01-30-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Miller trailblazer 301G
    Hobart HH187
    Harris DLX STLWKR
    O/A & chemolene
    WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Thanks for the quick response as to my "yellow flames". We have had a lot of fun building the smoker. It has come a long way from an unused fuel oil drum in a neighbors back yard, and an old boat trailer left in the weeds for years. It looks better than store-bought. I will get pics of it and the burner tomorrow. I searced for weeks looking for a tube burner that would work. Thank you for your design. You certainly will be on the list to come over for some good Carolina Smoked Pig.
    We tested the one 60" tube burner in the open - out doors. It was not in the smoker. It was a single 60" tube (1" dia), fed with an end cap manifold, per your design, connected via flexible gas hose to a high pressure regulator. The regulator was directly attached to a 1/2 full, 20# propane tank.
    Ultimately, we will have two independent 60" tubes, fed each with their own drilled out end caps, per your design, and fed from a "T" connection from a single high pressure regulator. The regulator will be fed from a 20# propane tank. Each "T" will have its own flow control knobs.
    I appreciate your help in solving the yellow flame problem. Tomorrow, I will check to see if the regulator has a hole in the end. It is brand new, so I suspect it is correct. I did notice that we could turn up the gas flow, and the yellow flames would really shoot out of the saw cuts. I could also almost shut of the gas supply and notice that the flames on the far end of the tube would extinguish, but almost think that the near end flames looked bluish. We tried covering up the 4 - 1/4 inch holes on the end cap, and noticed no difference in the yellow flames.
    I purchased a 30" black pipe (1" dia) today and a couple more end caps. So I can experiment per your suggestions, and closer to the length of your burner. Lookin' forward to the first smoke. Thanks Don

I'll post a pic of the regulator today (friday afternoon) so we can figure out how to turn this yellow stuff into blue stufff.

Miller trailblazer 301G
    Hobart HH187
    Harris DLX STLWKR
    O/A & chemolene

Heres mine

Miller trailblazer 301G
    Hobart HH187
    Harris DLX STLWKR
    O/A & chemolene

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith View Post
    It was a single 60" tube (1" dia), fed with an end cap manifold, per your design, connected via flexible gas hose to a high pressure regulator. The regulator was directly attached to a 1/2 full, 20# propane tank.
    I Just saw 1 inch diameter? Pipe should be 1 inch inner diameter 1 1/2 inch outer diameter. I am going to PM you my number. call me anytime this weekend.

Miller trailblazer 301G
    Hobart HH187
    Harris DLX STLWKR
    O/A & chemolene

Now that's one fine looking smoker. I think that you have also hit on my problem, I'll find some 1.5" OD pipe today and build up a burner. Got your PM, and will call to let you know how I made out. Thanks, Don.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith View Post
    Now that's one fine looking smoker. I think that you have also hit on my problem, I'll find some 1.5" OD pipe today and build up a burner. Got your PM, and will call to let you know how I made out. Thanks, Don.
    When looking for materials, remember that tubing is measured by the outside dimension while pipe is measured on the inside.

Dave
    Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
    MM180
    SP125+

Nice rig...well thought out...keep in mind that yellow flames also mean carbon monoxide present, too.
    Arcin' and sparkin', Rocky D <><
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER...
    IF YOU'RE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!