Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 166
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by SWQIB View Post
    I just wanted to say thanks for a great post, I have built 2 of these for my stickburner, the first one I was happy with, the second not so happy.
    I did drill out the orifice 1 wire size up and increased the air intake holes slightly to achieve desired results.

    1st burner low


    1st burner high


    1st burner down the middle


    2nd burner low


    2nd burner high


    I tried the same high pressure hose from the first pipe burner, should I get a low pressure line or one with a smaller orifice?
    Any suggestions?

    Here is a link to my build
    "Frankensmoker"
    Hi, you have to be out of your mind or high on something.....the can of WD40 next to the flaming pipe burner is a bomb waiting to go off........God must be on your side.
    Ian.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gulfport, Florida
    Posts
    1,921

    Fire Box venting

    This cooker still uses a fire box and real wood. A retired friend of mine who is a welder had this job come in to him and he wanted me to use my plasma cutter to cut a bigger opening in the cooking chamber for the fire box vent. It was so small his customer said he could not get the cooker hot enough. So I enlarged it 2-1/2 times as big. Now he will fabricate a vent to match the opening and he will cut the new opening in the fire box with his torch.. Nice quick job for pocket money....




    110_2098.jpg110_2099.jpg

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1

    Lightbulb Thermostat

    I am looking to make this typer burner controled by a thermostat. I have seen posts on other websites where a grill or gas smoker had a Modulating oven thermostat installed. Specifically a part # WB20K10013 thermostat. I will be using a pilot light with it also for safety (if pilot goes out, no gas will be allowed to enter tube). With the use of the variable pressure regulated suggested in this thread, would this work. Or woule anyone have any suggestions of a set and forget type setup??

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1

    can't get any flames

    I built the pipe burner with sawzall cuts every 1.5 inches and useing high pressure reg. with a venturi mixer. I turn on propane and go through the pressures high and low with a lighter moving onto a couple of the cuts. The flame is being pushed up by the air inside but no constant flame. The pipe is 5' long. I even change the air intake size when trying differant pressures. The trason I joined this site is because this post has been going on since 2007 and is full of knowledge. Hope someone is still looking here to help. I forgot to mention the pipe size is 1.25 OD and 1'' ID. I finally got a flame 2 days later but it doesnt leave the pipe.
    Last edited by upgrader; 11-02-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: tried differant method

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    105
    urch...There are a lot of pages in this thread, so I hope I'm not repeating a question about the cooker.

    Have you melted any tires with the setup as pictured? Reason for asking, is that it seems the cooker is REALLY close to your tires without any baffel or heat deflector to protect the tires. When I setup my burn barrel (55 gal. drum) for burning cardboard and paper, it gets so hot that I accidentally melted a Rubbermaid trash can set about 1-2 feet from the barrel when it was going good.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
    I built the pipe burner with sawzall cuts every 1.5 inches and using high pressure reg. with a venturi mixer. I turn on propane and go through the pressures high and low with a lighter moving onto a couple of the cuts. The flame is being pushed up by the air inside but no constant flame. The pipe is 5' long. I even change the air intake size when trying different pressures. The reason I joined this site is because this post has been going on since 2007 and is full of knowledge. Hope someone is still looking here to help. I forgot to mention the pipe size is 1.25 OD and 1'' ID. I finally got a flame 2 days later but it doesn't leave the pipe.

    sounds to me that you are not getting enough gas !
    what size of orifice do you have , and what kind of regulator do you have ?

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4

    Thanks for the help.

    Hello

    New to the forum but have been surfing it for awhile now getting some nice info. A little about me. Im a machinist and welder by trade for the past 15 years. Im in the process of making a pig roaster out of a 275 gallon oil tank, which is comming out pretty nice so far. I have been working on the pie burner which is made from 1.500 I.D tube, burn length is about 52 inches long and the OAL length is 65 long, there are 2 rows of 0.090 dia holes drilled 0.500 apart. I just today finished the one to test and seemed to work ok but not enough pressure as my flame length is about 0.500 tops but nice and blue. I an using a standard bbq regulater which i though and is my problem. Any advice on one would be helpful. I machined the venturi out of 3.000 O.D x 1.000 I.D DOM with a 30 degree pitch to hopefully get the gas air mix nice. Here are some pics.What do you think. Any opinions.

    IMAG0768.jpg


    IMAG0770.jpg


    IMAG0772.jpg
    Last edited by misfit138; 02-20-2013 at 07:27 PM.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gulfport, Florida
    Posts
    1,921
    Misfit,
    Your low flame might be because you have too many holes and too close together. Even tho I looks good from here.....You did a nice job....


    Last edited by urch55; 02-20-2013 at 07:44 PM.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit138 View Post
    Hello

    New to the forum but have been surfing it for awhile now getting some nice info. A little about me. Im a machinist and welder by trade for the past 15 years. Im in the process of making a pig roaster out of a 275 gallon oil tank, which is comming out pretty nice so far. I have been working on the pie burner which is made from 1.500 I.D tube, burn length is about 52 inches long and the OAL length is 65 long, there are 2 rows of 0.090 dia holes drilled 0.500 apart. I just today finished the one to test and seemed to work ok but not enough pressure as my flame length is about 0.500 tops but nice and blue. I an using a standard bbq regulater which i though and is my problem. Any advice on one would be helpful. I machined the venturi out of 3.000 O.D x 1.000 I.D DOM with a 30 degree pitch to hopefully get the gas air mix nice. Here are some pics.What do you think. Any opinions.
    Your problem is probably what you diagnose, and an adjustable regulator might solve it. However, if your air intake is not adjustable as well, you might end up with longer fuel-rich flames and little increase in heat out-put. Another approach might be to use an adjustable regulator to feed two (or more) of these burners, which have an efficient flame proven.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4
    well I have put a adjustable regulator on and it has seemed to make a big differance, not sure of how much pressure i have because i have not gotten a gage yet. I have gotten a lot done in the past week or so. I did a test burn and worked great. I have two adjustable ports on either end and I am thinking that i need 1 or 2 more either on the front or the back or both. I hit 600 degrees with no problem and then had it throttled back to about 225 to 250 steady for about an hour. I still have to make drip pan and catch box to the outside into a bucket for grease/oil. Also need to make draw box for wood chips to smoke, set up igniter and figure out a way to hold lid up any ideas would be helpfull, make some stacks sandblast and paint. Im sure ill add a few more little things. Hopefully gonna test it out in the next couple of weeks. I just posted some pics of where i am at now. I mounted wheels, made new control valve manifold, and cut and mounted the bbq grate/grill area and added small work area on left side with intagrated handle for moving around. I would like to thank everyone who has posted to this thread. Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4

    It is now complete

    Just finished it up the other day a cooked 4 pork butts on and they came out great.
    IMAG0828.jpg
    IMAG0815.jpg
    IMAG0818.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,879
    Excellent job, and turned out very professionally!

  14. #164
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1

    Amateur pipe burner builder needs help

    First, i would like to thank everyone for the wealth of information that I have spent time reading...I have learned alot...but i got a few questions on where to start...
    I have a 120 gal tank that I am converting to a small cooker...I want to put to pipe burners in the bottom...
    What size ID/OD pipe should I use? 1"..1 1/4"...1 1/2" ?
    I want to cut slits with a portaband...thinking 1.5" apart? starting 8 inches from venturi?
    Also I want to use a venturi with an air adjust...also a valve to adjust gas flow...
    I guess bell reducers are the best way to go??
    any suggestions on sizes and parts for building something like this is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
    In other words...if this was your build how would you build the burners????I would like to build my own unit...being that custom prebuilt units are expensive and funds are limited....(family of five on 2 teachers salary...in NC mind you..hahaha)
    PICS ARE VERY HELPFUL....Thanks ya"ll for any help..Coach

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Finn View Post
    First, i would like to thank everyone for the wealth of information that I have spent time reading...I have learned alot...but i got a few questions on where to start...
    I have a 120 gal tank that I am converting to a small cooker...I want to put to pipe burners in the bottom...
    What size ID/OD pipe should I use? 1"..1 1/4"...1 1/2" ?
    I want to cut slits with a portaband...thinking 1.5" apart? starting 8 inches from venturi?
    Also I want to use a venturi with an air adjust...also a valve to adjust gas flow...
    I guess bell reducers are the best way to go??
    any suggestions on sizes and parts for building something like this is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
    In other words...if this was your build how would you build the burners????I would like to build my own unit...being that custom prebuilt units are expensive and funds are limited....(family of five on 2 teachers salary...in NC mind you..hahaha)
    PICS ARE VERY HELPFUL....Thanks ya"ll for any help..Coach
    I think the reason that no one has replied is because all of your questions are answered in the previous 11 pages, or, are your choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •