Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 166

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    raleigh, nc
    Posts
    446

    pipe burner build instructions

    (pic#1 and 2) 1" untested pipe. U can use black pipe but it's thinner and does not stand up to the heat and will rust and flake. Thread and cap end.

    (pic#3 and 4) gas mixer is a 1" cap about $1.50. Drill (4) 1/4 inch holes on face of the cap and drill and tap the center for a 1/8 inch npt thread

    Purchase a high pressure regulator. Heres one from amazon

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...ET6CHU3M5KOGTP

    PRESSURE REGULATOR 360#189 ADJ. W/EXFLOW POLY 36" HIGH PRESSURE HOSE
    part #32832

    In Stock



    pic of hose end hpim0063.jpg
    Last edited by boykjo; 02-17-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: added pic. end of regulator hose and part #

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    raleigh, nc
    Posts
    446
    (pic#5) With a sawsall Start your first cut 4 inches away from the gas mixer or however far down the pipe you want to start as long as its no less than 4 inches and cut every 1 1/2 inches as far as u can go. Stop the cut into the pipe when a 1/4 inch of the blade is at the top and continue to your next cut. as u can see i wasnt paying attension and had to weld shut the first two cuts.

    (pic#6,7 and 8) With the end cap and gas mixer installed on each end connect regulator and position the slots underneath. connect tank and light.

    This pipe burner cost me $85.00. I dropped my digital camera and broke the lens. Went to best buy and bought another one to finish the pics. It normally cost around $20

    good luck

    completed instructions
    Last edited by boykjo; 02-17-2010 at 07:15 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    raleigh, nc
    Posts
    446
    U can T and U your pipe burners. heres one that is teed

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    1,261
    Thanks.....I'll have to try that with my copy of my father-in-laws Holand Grill..... mine will be a bit bigger.....
    Mike
    George W. Bush saving your butt whether you like it or not!
    If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    Thomas Paine
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 w S.G.
    Victor/Uniweld O/P
    Dewalt Chop Saw

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    357
    thanks for the instructions. i am familiar with black pipe, but what is "untested pipe" and where can it be purchased? thanks again.
    5 rules for happiness:

    1. free your heart from hatred
    2. free your mind from worries
    3. live simply
    4. give more
    5. expect less


    milwaukee 12 amp 4.5" angle grinder
    Rigid chop saw
    Rigid 3" drill press
    4 X 6 horizontal band saw
    porter cable 1410 dry cut saw
    milwaukee 8" metal cutting circular saw
    Van Sant 1 HP multi-tool/grinder
    O/A setup
    TA 185
    MM 212
    Cutmaster 52

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    raleigh, nc
    Posts
    446
    Untested pipe is piping not rated for pressure. It is used in handrails, roll bars, frames ect. It has a seem inside the pipe where black pipe is smooth. Untested usually come in schedule 40. Your local metal supplier should carry it.
    Last edited by boykjo; 12-18-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: n/a

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    144
    great post!! thanks for posting the instructions. just one question. what did you use as the jet where the hose connects to the mixing cap?

    i will post pictures of my set up for a home made weed burner or cooking jet burner. we made them at work so we could preheat some metal before welding.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wichita, KS, USA
    Posts
    4,182
    Quote Originally Posted by boykjo View Post
    Untested pipe is piping not rated for pressure. It is used in handrails, roll bars, frames ect. It has a seem inside the pipe where black pipe is smooth. Untested usually come in schedule 40. Your local metal supplier should carry it.
    The black pipe I got at HD has a seam. The only common steel tube/pipe that I'm familiar with is DOM. Then again, I'm not edjumakated...

    I built a burner for a foundry from 3/4" pipe from plans online, but I hadn't seen too many plans for a burner of this sort before. Thanks!

    Dave
    Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

    Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
    MM180
    SP125+

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1

    Clarify the depth of the sawcut

    Quote Originally Posted by boykjo View Post
    (pic#5) With a sawsall Start your first cut 4 inches away from the gas mixer or however far down the pipe you want to start as long as its no less than 4 inches and cut every 1 1/2 inches as far as u can go. Stop the cut into the pipe when a 1/4 inch of the blade is at the top and continue to your next cut. as u can see i wasnt paying attension and had to weld shut the first two cuts.
    I'm need some clarification on the depth of the cuts into the pipe. Do you mean 1/4 inch into the pipe (where you can see a 1/4 of the saw blade looking into pipe).

    Would drilled holes work? If so what bit size should be used?

    This is a great project. I hope this works for me. I've been trying to find a suitable length propane burner commercially to no evail.

    AzzurroSI
    "There are no problems only situations looking for creative solutions".

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by AzzurroSI View Post
    I'm need some clarification on the depth of the cuts into the pipe. Do you mean 1/4 inch into the pipe (where you can see a 1/4 of the saw blade looking into pipe).

    Would drilled holes work? If so what bit size should be used?

    This is a great project. I hope this works for me. I've been trying to find a suitable length propane burner commercially to no evail.

    AzzurroSI
    "There are no problems only situations looking for creative solutions".
    These questions have been addressed in earlier posts, if you read from the beginning.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by AzzurroSI View Post
    Do you mean 1/4 inch into the pipe (where you can see a 1/4 of the saw blade looking into pipe).
    The OP specified to use a metal-cutting Sawzall blade and to cut deep enough so 1/4" was showing above the cut. I measured those blades and found them to be 3/4" wide, so I figured 1/2" deep saw cuts. Meaning, the blade's deepest penetration into the pipe is 1/2".

    metalmagpie

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10
    DO you think you could get the same results using 1 1/4 " pipe to build a burner by your design?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1

    need help

    i built a pipe burner 39 inches long i need to make three more but im having a problom the flame runs back through the venturi and lights after lighting it scares the **** out of me the pipe is 1.5 and i drilled 130 holes in it what should i do

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by steve curtis View Post
    i built a pipe burner 39 inches long i need to make three more but im having a problom the flame runs back through the venturi and lights after lighting it scares the **** out of me the pipe is 1.5 and i drilled 130 holes in it what should i do
    First, Boyko had some pretty specific construction measurements and I think the number and size of your holes may be the problem. From what you have said, it sounds like the speed of the gas coming out is less than the speed of flame propagation, which allows the flame to burn back. You are going to have to increase the gas velocity in your burner, by increasing pressure.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1

    burner help

    These are probably stupid questions, but anyway

    Can I buy this pipe from Lowes or HD already threaded?

    Are you using a burner cover, or do you not need one since the holes are facing down?

    Will someone please post pictures of where and how you add your wood chips.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •