Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A metal cutting question

Hello. I have a question and am looking for a professional opinion.

The following picture has been posted around the internet by some people who claim that the column in the top center of the picture was cut by some sort of remotely detonated thermite device and thus, according to them, proving that the WTC towers were intentionally demolished by the U.S. government, or the "New World Order" or the U.N., Iluminatti, or whomever.

I maintain that it is obviously a torch cut that was done as part of the rescue and clean up activities.

It has been about 10 years since I have handled a cutting torch, and I would like your professional opinions.

So what do you think, "thermite bomb" or cutting torch?

Never heard of a "thermite bomb" cutting device, but I'd bet it wouldn't have left that slag......

My bet's O/A.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    MM 210 w/3035, BWE
    HH 210 w/DP 3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
    Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Looks like a torch cut to me. We all saw what brought down the Towers.....a plane each. All the wackjob theories in the world will not explain away the results of thousands of gallons of burning jet fuel on steel columns. Add that to the fact that steel will burn when hot enough and you have the makings of what we all saw. Pancake city due to melted support columns. Any engineer could support that theory since it happens from time to time in normal situations. No whackjob theories in those cases...just this one. Very sad. The Towers were a tragedy to be sure. Would be nice if the theories would go away and let everyone get on with it.
    Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Don,

Absolutely correct. I was glued to the **** tube when the first tower went. Classic pancake collapse. I had just said to my wife "that baby's gonna go......" when I saw the antenna mast move, and down she went!

Bad day.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    MM 210 w/3035, BWE
    HH 210 w/DP 3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
    Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

The slag is a big clue to me that it was an OFC, based on my experience.

Now, I have seen the explosives in use that are designed for that kind of cutting and demolition, but the remnants that I have seen do not bear a resemblance to a torch cut as that picture does.

Yup, the slag is a dead giveaway. It indicates a slow, directed process.
    Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Thermite is used to weld, not cut.

It's a common way to repair railroad tracks after a derail.

"linear shaped charge" wouldn't have left that much slag.

Final bit of evidence: it's clean. If it had been cut before the collapse there would have been some debris lodged on it.

Let's see -- there was "Roswell", then the Kennedy assination, now the "Twin Towers".

Guess every generation has to have something for the outer fringes to get in a wad over.

I've got enough real problems -- don't need to make any up

Yeah, but Roswell has to be true. It would easily explain where all the nuts came from.
    Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dda52
    Yeah, but Roswell has to be true. It would easily explain where all the nuts came from.
    and they all end up here
    Ed Conley
    Screaming Broccoli, Inc
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
    TA185
    SO 2020 Bender
    Miller 125c Plasma
    "Hold my beer while I try this!"

What Nuts??

Well said dda52!

spud, do they grow crazy-nuts up in alaska too?

Quote Originally Posted by dda52
    But I thought we were welding before the incident at Roswell.

A lot of people gauge their status by the status of those they see as enemies. The anti-government conspiracy theorists are the ants climbing up the leg of the elephant with rape on their mind of the theory world.

It sure looks like someone decided the column presented a hazard for the emergency services and had it cut by someone using an oxy-acetylene torch.

enlpck is offline teacher student weldicatr
    Torch cut. Using thermite to cut that would make a huge mess. Thermite can be used to 'cut', but works best where gravity helps (cutting from the top side of a level beam, for example). Tends to leave a very rough cut with lots of mess in the area.

The conspiract theorists are really at it lately, one of the flagbearers being a BYU astrophysics professor. I read his principle paper yeasterday (at the request of one of my students) and got eleven lines in before finding the first major flaw in his reasoning-- he demonstrated poor to no understanding of the second law of thermodynamics. It only got worse. And this guy is one of the most rational of the bunch. People don't seem to want to realize how the buildings were designed.

For a good analysis, hunt down one of the articles by Henry Petrovski (professor at Duke)

It looks like to be another Photo Shop ( Photo Chop ) generated picture. The firemen are way too sharp focus/clarity for the rest of the picture. The sense of scale does not look right either. The smoke floating around looks added. Another tip off is you can not see the feet of the people. It would take more work to show someone standing on a pile of debri.

Are box beams used in a building or is everything I beam? The left lower cut is incomplete.

When a building is imploded, more than one cut must be made. I doubt there are _ANY_ of these cuts in the hours of news coverage.

Besides, we all saw the buildings go from the top down, this cut is nearer ground level perhaps 4 or more stories up due to the debri pile? If the building was cut from the bottom it could go down from the bottom up.

Does anyone really think the whole building could be wired and no one not see something?

This kind of thing is sick, there are enough problems in the world and we don't need someone generating problems that don't exist.

I suspect _everyone _ was affected by this attack in some tangable physical way. I'm under a major air coridor and Flight 93 would have flown over my house minutes before it went down as I'm 50 miles from Shanksville by car.

The person who posted the question is doing the right thing, asking people that deal with metal "Is this possible?". I'd have a dificult time wether this post should stay, on one hand it debunks the theory the buliding was put down but on the other hand it exposes people to that myth.

Myth BUSTED!

The slag on the face of the beam facing the camera clearly shows that side of the beam was cut AFTER the beam was tipped over! Any cuts from the outside would put a slag pile like that on the INSIDE of the beam.

Look at the picture again! the beam was cut on the 3 far sides, tipped over, and the face was cut. Clearly torchwork to clear debris.

Thermite grenades were used in WW 2 do destroy artillery by covert forces, they used magnesium as their main component which burned hotter than most cast or steels and destroyed the mechanism of the gun or tank.
    Jeff Phillips
    Silver Moon Forge

HH 180
    Hammers and Anvil
    Coal forge.
    Other "stuff"

"Those who don't weld so good, become expert Grinders"
    "Measure to build, Hammer to fit, Paint to hide."