Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Lightbulb Need a slick plan for a ATV storage rack.

I have two ATV's in the garage and I am out of room. If I could stack them (without getting killed or a hernia) it would give me enough room for a welding table.

The top ATV would be a 500cc Honda Foreman. It weighs 600 pounds wet. Anyone know what size mild steel angle iron (or maybe square tube or I beam?) it would take to support it safely? I will need to drive it up or winch it up onto the top rack so it needs to be pretty sturdy.

If anyone has ever seen anything like this or has a picture that would be great.

I would use 1/4 inch and nothing less. That will be more than enough strength for your purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
    I have two ATV's in the garage and I am out of room. If I could stack them (without getting killed or a hernia) it would give me enough room for a welding table.

The top ATV would be a 500cc Honda Foreman. It weighs 600 pounds wet. Anyone know what size mild steel angle iron (or maybe square tube or I beam?) it would take to support it safely? I will need to drive it up or winch it up onto the top rack so it needs to be pretty sturdy.

If anyone has ever seen anything like this or has a picture that would be great.
    What is your ceiling height, and do you have overhead hoist anchor point? If so, I would recommend a simple drive-on tray with four sockets for sliding posts at corners. Hoist up, pin posts to tray, lower, and drive/roll other machine under. Use hitch receiver sockets at corners and 2 x 1/4" tubing for legs.
    Last edited by Northweldor; 11-12-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northweldor View Post
    What is your ceiling height, and do you have overhead hoist anchor point? If so, I would recommend a simple drive-on tray with four sockets for sliding posts at corners. Hoist up, pin posts to tray, lower, and drive/roll other machine under. Use hitch receiver sockets at corners and 2 x 1/4" tubing for legs.
    That is a great idea but no hoist point, that would be WONDERFUL. Nothing up there could support it.

Metal is really expensive here or I have not found a reasonable price supplier yet. Would black iron pipe do it?

The sliding post thing is good.... I like it. I wonder if i could mount a winch on the bottom of it to lift?
    Seems like one would need to do this with one winch to pull it up evenly without binding.

The sliding post thing is good.... I like it. I wonder if i could mount a winch on the bottom of it to lift?
    Seems like one would need to do this with one winch to pull it up evenly without binding.
    And this will take you into complications where you might as well buy a 2 post lift, and there are plenty available, if you want to spend $2500-3000. If you Google ATV storage racks you'll find plenty, but I thought you wanted something you could build reasonably. Why not stand both on end,after turning off fluids,etc ?
    Last edited by Northweldor; 11-12-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northweldor View Post
    And this will take you into complications where you might as well buy a 2 post lift, and there are plenty available, if you want to spend $2500-3000. If you Google ATV storage racks you'll find plenty, but I thought you wanted something you could build reasonably. Why not stand both on end,after turning off fluids,etc ?
    The two post lift is for a car. I wouldn't have room for that.
    I'm to old to stand them up.

Your Google idea turned this up and it would do the trick. I need to find a metal supplier, buying metal at Lowes and Home Depot is $$$

I like this..... Wonder if I could make it with black iron pipe?

atv-storage-lift-plans.jpg

The two post lift is for a car. I wouldn't have room for that.
    I'm to old to stand them up.

Your Google idea turned this up and it would do the trick. I need to find a metal supplier, buying metal at Lowes and Home Depot is $$$

I like this..... Wonder if I could make it with black iron pipe?

atv-storage-lift-plans.jpg
    That would work if you establish a winch point in your end wall, and extended the support arms. Looks a little flimsy in present form.
    I passed the "too old to lift" point many years ago, but continued on because I built a gantry crane and engine hoist to do all the heavy lifting. Both store flat against the wall,until needed.