Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Spring Seats on a Dana35 Axle

Does anyone have any experience welding a seat of spring seats for coil springs onto a 1/4" thick axle tube using a Hobart Handler 140? I want to be sure I get enough penetration but not sure if the welder has enough power. What would the setup be if the welder can do it.

This is a VERY CRITICAL joint. Not being SURE of you and your machine means PLEASE do not attempt it.

That said, an expert that knows how to properly prepare the joint, set the machine, choose the filler, and SEE the penetration as it happens, can do the job with that machine if he absolutely had to. And he still wouldn't!

Dana 35 means there is a likelihood that this is for off-road usage, too, which is that much more stress on such a critical weld.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    This is a VERY CRITICAL joint. Not being SURE of you and your machine means PLEASE do not attempt it.

That said, an expert that knows how to properly prepare the joint, set the machine, choose the filler, and SEE the penetration as it happens, can do the job with that machine if he absolutely had to. And he still wouldn't!

Dana 35 means there is a likelihood that this is for off-road usage, too, which is that much more stress on such a critical weld.
    Thanks for the response. I'll be looking for a pro to weld the seats on.