Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Suitable material for a welding cart, not to sure what to use!

Hello all, so for my first project with my new Hobart Handler 140, I need a welding cart! I have a need for my cart to be strong enough to hold itself, welder, 80cu tank, and some gear. I am assuming nearly 200 lbs at the worst, and I need to be able to lift it into the truck bed. So i plan to use a small crane. While the crane can handle 500 lbs with ease, I need the cart to be light and yet very strong. I have only used 3/16 and higher thicknesses with welders that can weld 1/2" thick material all day. So I'm not really all that sure what the limits are for thinner material. Would 1.25 x 1.25 tubing, .120 wall hold up to constant lifting onto and off of the truck bed? I'd like to keep my back in good shape! I would like to make some arms that swing out from the sides, allowing anchor points to lift from. When the welder is down in place, or in use, the arms would be swung down, out of the way for full access to the welder. Is 1/8 to thin or to thick? Suggestions? Thanks all. -Unholy

I used 1/8 thickness all the way thru on the cart that I built and also added 4 casters 2 of which are locking [highly recommended] type.
    Last edited by Hunter55; 10-09-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Built mine out of 1x1x .120 inch square stock with wheels and casters from hardware store.... Only real thing I can offer is do not scrimp on wheel and caster size, the bigger they are the easier it rolls across shop floor that may have some clutter on it... Lower shelf on my cart (where helmet is in pic) now holds a big plastic tool box I got from yard sale for a couple of bucks, keeps spare wire and gloves and some tools that are welder specific... Another thing is a handle on front so you can drag it around... I didn't think about that at first and had to add one later...

Of you need lift rings just make them permanent, stuff that swings out will either be in way when not wanted or will break when needed....Use "KISS principle" (Keep It Simple Stupid) ....

Need some inspiration...

http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=welding+cart

Dale
    Last edited by Dale M.; 10-09-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Thanks Dale and Hunter! I can see the point about the swinging arms. I guess I will just have to make an attachment for the crane, that would spread the chains/cables. I have a friend who lifts his welder in and out of the back of his truck, and the cables or chains, always seem to rub against the welder or tank. It has left marks over the years. I would like to keep my gear in good condition.

Dale, nice cart! what did you use for the upper shelf?

I bought two 4" casters, locking type, that are over kill (250lb capacity each. I also have two flat free 10" wheels (300lb capacity each.) I should have issues rolling it!

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post

Dale, nice cart! what did you use for the upper shelf?

I welded couple of pieces of flat stock across from rail to rail and set in a piece of cement board (tile backer board) because the was what I had and had to raise welder up a tiny bit so door would open...

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.