Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Best way to cut Aluminum

Hi all
    I have a aluminum project I need to do. I'll be using mainly 1 1/2 x 1/8 and 1 x 1/8 aluminum tubing. I have on hand a 12" Hitachi chop saw and one of those Harbor Freight Vertical/Horizontal band saws.

I think I'd like to use the chop saw. I'm reading that a high tooth blade will work or a non-ferrous metal blade for the Hitachi. Any recommendations?
    Thanks

What exactly are you referring to as a "chop saw?" What is the RPM? Was it designed to have a toothed blade? Was it designed for wood (miter saw) or metal?

Is the job small/poor enough where you are trying to just get by with something you have, or do you really want something ideal for the job? I find people rarely mean "best" when they say they want the "best."

What blade do you have in the bandsaw?
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-16-2017 at 02:43 PM.

I recently purchased this from jet.com along with a non ferrous metal cutting blade. Black & Decker M1850BD 9 Amp 7-1/4 in. Compound Miter Saw. High quality and well made tool. It will be used for cutting aluminum only. Cost was very reasonable and shipping was even better. If you are going to be cutting a lot of aluminum I highly recommend this.

Hey hunter. Can you make a video review or something similar? It might prove useful.

Sorry, I don't have a video. Here are a few pics. This is a small compact saw that came with a wood cutting blade but I installed a Dewalt non-ferrous [aluminum,brass, copper,] blade. The saw, new blade, and shipping was less than $90. Dimensions are 10 inches depth by 16 inches wide. Even has a small dust catcher and a blade changing tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Couple more pics. Notice the hold down clamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks all. I have a 12" Hitachi miter saw and I bought a non-ferrous blade for it ($69...ouch). Works great. Hopefully it will last a while

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter55 View Post
    Sorry, I don't have a video. Here are a few pics. This is a small compact saw that came with a wood cutting blade but I installed a Dewalt non-ferrous [aluminum,brass, copper,] blade. The saw, new blade, and shipping was less than $90. Dimensions are 10 inches depth by 16 inches wide. Even has a small dust catcher and a blade changing tool.
    Let us know how long that dust catcher bag lasts with the continual impact of hot metal particles. The air-stream may cool them enough to avoid destroying the bag, but it will be interesting to find out.

Haha....bag was destroyed long before this.

Quote Originally Posted by Northweldor View Post
    Let us know how long that dust catcher bag lasts with the continual impact of hot metal particles. The air-stream may cool them enough to avoid destroying the bag, but it will be interesting to find out.