Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Greetings from Western Mass

Hi Everyone... Just picked up a extremely lightly used Hobart Handler 140 and looking to listen, learn, and hopefully do some hobby welding. I haven't touched a welder in many, many decades LOL, and that was an old arc welder we had in a metal sculpture class I had in Design School. Technology has come a long way, and I've gotten a _lot_ older... but I'm ready to learn. Don't know if its a good thing to watch You-Tube videos or not, but thats pretty much all I have to go on. Hoping that I can lurk here and learn something, hope I don't ask too may stupid questions.

And yes... the "Camaro" in my handle my bucket list baby. A restored 1969 muscle car, she's a true beast... 454/4-speed SS restomod. I doubt that I will do any welding on the car, but I might try fabbing up some simple no stress brackets. If I get into it, I might even try some metal sculpture again. Right now, I want to learn more about this welder, its pros & cons, and its capabilities.

Mike
    Last edited by CamaroMike; 09-01-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Coming from stick to mig is a piece of cake.... Love my HH 140... Actually got to play with it today (only to find out my AD helmet has died- had to borrow one)... Quick primer on MIG in link below..... Plug it in, turn it on, pull the trigger and do some test beads... IF you didn't get manual with it, it's available online (here) under "Service & Support" tab...

http://weldingtipsandtricks.com

Dale
    Last edited by Dale M.; 08-31-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Welcome to the forum, Mike.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast PA 200

"....Don't know if its a good thing to watch You-Tube videos or not,..."

Save time and effort by first purchasing or watching all you possibly can of the "Welding Tips and Tricks" series. The author is a superior teacher, and photography is far better than many of the Lincoln, Miller, Esab, company videos.

I have no association or financial interest with this organization, but am speaking from many years of familiarity with welding instruction materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Northweldor View Post
    "....Don't know if its a good thing to watch You-Tube videos or not,..."

Save time and effort by first purchasing or watching all you possibly can of the "Welding Tips and Tricks" series. The author is a superior teacher, and photography is far better than many of the Lincoln, Miller, Esab, company videos.

I have no association or financial interest with this organization, but am speaking from many years of familiarity with welding instruction materials.

YEAH.... Youtube is dangerous place, only about 10% of what's there is safe and sane, problem is with youtube anyone who can "put something together" (you pick subject and method) shoot a video (cell phone) and upload it becomes a instant expert....NOT.... If going to watch stuff on youtube be sure you have BS filter set to highest settings...

Many have said ChuckE2009 is pretty good, but I have not viewed his videos (yet)...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJA...b5sg79yld7T3hA

Dale
    Last edited by Dale M.; 09-01-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    LOL... yes it is. I am somewhat skeptical about YT "instructional" videos and thats why I asked. I also agree a good BS Filter is needed for many of these.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroMike View Post
    LOL... yes it is. I am somewhat skeptical about YT "instructional" videos and thats why I asked. I also agree a good BS Filter is needed for many of these.
    As I emphatically said previously, you can trust all of "Welding Tips and Tricks" for both content and quality. Months of study and practice is available there, and no filter is required.