Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Help with a Hobart HSW-25 Resistance Welder

Hi, I am a newb to the forum and need a little help. I picked up a HSW-25 Spot welder awhile back and cannot seem to get it setup correctly. It came with 6in tongs and when I tried to spot weld to 16 gauge sheets, it just blew threw. I made sure the metal was clean and clamped tightly together. The tongs were aligned. I tried different amounts of pressure on the tongs and had no luck. As soon as I hit the power switch, it blows through the metal.

I can't really find much on the internet or utube on it, but what I have seen shows the welder running about 3 seconds and the metal heating up gradually with a good heat patter all around the weld. I don't know if there is a problem with the unit or if I am just not doing something correctly.

I did pick up a set of 18in tongs to see if that made a difference and it did the same thing.

Anybody have any suggestions to try or any idea of what I might be doing wrong. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mccullin View Post
    Hi, I am a newb to the forum and need a little help. I picked up a HSW-25 Spot welder awhile back and cannot seem to get it setup correctly. It came with 6in tongs and when I tried to spot weld to 16 gauge sheets, it just blew threw. I made sure the metal was clean and clamped tightly together. The tongs were aligned. I tried different amounts of pressure on the tongs and had no luck. As soon as I hit the power switch, it blows through the metal.

I can't really find much on the internet or utube on it, but what I have seen shows the welder running about 3 seconds and the metal heating up gradually with a good heat patter all around the weld. I don't know if there is a problem with the unit or if I am just not doing something correctly.

I did pick up a set of 18in tongs to see if that made a difference and it did the same thing.

Anybody have any suggestions to try or any idea of what I might be doing wrong. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
    Seems obvious that you have more than required amperage, but I haven't used this model. Do you have a timer connected, or a switch to interrupt amperage?

Just a momentary power switch. No timer or way to control the amperage.

Quote Originally Posted by mccullin View Post
    Just a momentary power switch. No timer or way to control the amperage.
    Perhaps you should contact Hobart on the service network to see if this model is designed to work with a timer, or, for other solutions.

I am far from an expert when it comes to resistance welding, but from what I have read it appears that your units output current is too high for the material thickness. Even with 18" tongs the spot time would be under a second with standard tips. You would have to be able to reduce the current or add resistance to the tips by using some type of highly resistive material such as tungsten.

Keith

Not sure what voltage is on your unit but....years ago I bought a 115v spot welder from Harbor Freight. It would only do very light metal. I took it back and exchanged for the 230 volt model. It would blow through the light metal but ok on the heavier stuff. So, what I did was make a 25 or 50 foot extension cord...I forget..... I use the extension cord on light stuff and no cord on the heavier material. I believe the cord is 14 or 16 ga. It limits the power to welder. You might try that.
    Nick
    Syncrowave 200 Tig
    Century 50 Amp Plasma
    2- O/A outfits
    Spot welder
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horiz/vert bandsaw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter Metal Saw
    Electric Hydraulic vertical press
    CNC 60"x60" Plasma/Router table
    www.nixstuff.com
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ

Quote Originally Posted by Monte55 View Post
    Not sure what voltage is on your unit but....years ago I bought a 115v spot welder from Harbor Freight. It would only do very light metal. I took it back and exchanged for the 230 volt model. It would blow through the light metal but ok on the heavier stuff. So, what I did was make a 25 or 50 foot extension cord...I forget..... I use the extension cord on light stuff and no cord on the heavier material. I believe the cord is 14 or 16 ga. It limits the power to welder. You might try that.

Thanks, I will try that and see if it makes a difference. I have a 50 cord setup, but have not used it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobart Expert Keith View Post
    I am far from an expert when it comes to resistance welding, but from what I have read it appears that your units output current is too high for the material thickness. Even with 18" tongs the spot time would be under a second with standard tips. You would have to be able to reduce the current or add resistance to the tips by using some type of highly resistive material such as tungsten.

Keith
    There was or, is, an optional timer for this unit.