Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Question i am getting one of the new 240 only stickmate welders

M&S Blades
    I am getting ready to start a project. First of many. I will be fabing and welding an anvil from sections of forklift forks. The dimentions of the sections are 3.5 in thick 5 in. wide. I was thinking of plug welding the body of the anvil then solid welding the seams to try and make it as solid as possible. then I was wanting to plug weld the face of the anvil on and welding the seam solid to the base. pre heating the project to around 3 to 400 degrees so the weld penetrate deep and stay as strong as possible. I will need to heat treat the anvil when it is finished. like I already said I want to use hard facing rod for the plugs on the face of the anvil and was thinking of using 7018 for the rest. Does this sound like a good plan or does anyone have a better idea besides just going and buying an anvil.

Thanks to anyone that can offer there expertise I am relatively new to welding I have some hours but I am far from a journeymen and any help with this build to help insure its success would be greatly appreciated. Just to add the steel is 4140 if this helps anyone to be able to give some good advice..
    I will be adding video updates and pictures of the process and finished product.

Thanks in advance to all that reply.
    Martin Moldovan at M&S Blades / Blacksmithing /and metal arts and fabrication

Let us know about the new machine

The price is a lot lower than I expected. Looks to have a standard, decent quality, ground clamp. You might want to pull the plastic sleeves off the ground clamp to make it more useable.
    steel fence and gate shop worker
    At home...
    Miller maxstar 200sd stick welder...SOLD
    2016 Lincoln PowerMig 256..."Big Jake"

Quote Originally Posted by gatemaker View Post
    The price is a lot lower than I expected. Looks to have a standard, decent quality, ground clamp. You might want to pull the plastic sleeves off the ground clamp to make it more useable.
    When first seeing the work clamp in person it doesn't look impressive but it is pretty decent, with a strong spring to close the jaws. The rod holder would do justice to a more expensive welder; that was a pleasant surprise. IMO there are no reasons to replace either of them. The connections to the welder are small Dinse-type which allows them to be detached. For the price they didn't skimp like some other brands do.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
    Two hands, tired body, not enough time...