Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

New Stickmate units

Are these imported units or USA built units?

https://www.hobartwelders.com/products/stick/

Literature on units states ideal performance for most 6010, but then there is a note that states 6010 not recommended for open root. Is this because there would be arc outage issues?
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Non-disclosure in force but I will say it ran Lincoln 6010-5p open-root much better than I expected from a basic inverter but it can't sustain a long arc like the big boys can. It can pull a much longer arc on Lincoln and old-stock J.W. Harris 6011. I'd have no qualms about 6010 for any reasonable use. For reference the Lincoln 225/125 really fails there; the 210i is worlds better. It's no Idealarc or Dialarc but that statement re open-root.....

Edit: At first I said to myself "I don't need another welder" but it got me thinking.....
    Last edited by canoecruiser; 07-15-2017 at 09:34 PM.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
    Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

nice portable size.

The machines are obviously throw aways if there was any type of malfunction. It looks like the iron-cored transformer stickmates have been dropped from the lineup. I am guessing theses would work well on a 6000 watt generator, at least to run 1/8" rod. The older stickmates were piggy on power at start up (in rush).
    steel fence and gate shop worker
    At home...
    Miller maxstar 200sd stick welder...SOLD
    2016 Lincoln PowerMig 256..."Big Jake"

hey im getting one of these welders the 240 only one

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Are these imported units or USA built units?

https://www.hobartwelders.com/products/stick/

Literature on units states ideal performance for most 6010, but then there is a note that states 6010 not recommended for open root. Is this because there would be arc outage issues?
    M&S Blades and Blacksmithing
    I am getting one of these welders the 240 only one. I have a project I will be subjecting it to . I will be building an anvil from fork lift forks which is generally 4140. I was thinking of plug welding the base along with welding all the seams solid with preheating it the whole time to about 3 to 400 degrees so the welds reach a good penetration and are as strong as can be. I was thinking of plug welding on the face using a hard facing rod and solid welding the seam so I can heat treat it when I an finished. I am hoping to acheve a Rockwell around 50 to 55 hardness. does any one have any suggestions. Century Gothic][/FONT][/FONT]

Dan, the 160i hated 6010 for the most part, but if you know what you are doing, you can make it work. Long arc is out of the question. I am used to running a short arc with low amp 6010's, but this needed a super short to keep lit. It shined with 6011's though...even 5/32's.
    Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!