Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Welding Tables

Welding Tables

Found this seeming pretty nice kit for welding table for home shop....

https://weldtables.com/collections/p...ivel-castors-1

Specification state it is 40 inches tall when finished... Was wondering what people think about good height for table may be.... My workbench is at 40 inches but was wondering it for welding it may be too high...

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

36"

If you are leaning over a lot when taking up or trying to reach pickets or clamped material, maybe 36" would work better? Really depends on the width of the table, too.
    steel fence and gate shop worker
    At home...
    Miller maxstar 200sd stick welder...SOLD
    2016 Lincoln PowerMig 256..."Big Jake"

Looking at the catalog I was quite fascinated with the welding block system, two 3x3 tables you could bolt together and the 1' extensions that can be bolted to extend or upright and with enough clamps and blocks it would be a truly adult erector set. I'd probably need to win the lottery though in order to save my marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by odis View Post
    Looking at the catalog I was quite fascinated with the welding block system, two 3x3 tables you could bolt together and the 1' extensions that can be bolted to extend or upright and with enough clamps and blocks it would be a truly adult erector set. I'd probably need to win the lottery though in order to save my marriage.
    Exactly! I think they sell the little one cheap just to get you hooked, just like drugs. If I had the fab jobs to pay for it, I'd get one, but otherwise, it will fall into the "nice to have" category, since my present scrap-yard fabrication does almost the same job, plus, I can tack stuff without worrying about marring a precision surface.

Yeah guys but its a home shop (garage) and I am novice welder and I want something solid (better then HF or other rickety foldaway tables for $79) and it has to double as work table for lawnmower repairs and making things other that pure metal fabrications.... IN this case size matters...

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
    Yeah guys but its a home shop (garage) and I am novice welder and I want something solid (better then HF or other rickety foldaway tables for $79) and it has to double as work table for lawnmower repairs and making things other that pure metal fabrications.... IN this case size matters...

Dale
    Not disputing your choice of tables at all Dale, I already have a small table that I made 19 years ago.
    I just wish I could afford to go all out, what I was looking at would also be quite compact since you could separate the 2 tables and keep one out of the way till needed.

"The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys", thanks for the link.

Hey, Dave! Don't worry, I have something similar and it's quite enough for a garage.

Weld Table

I made a cheap one

IMG_0995[1].jpg

I since drilled holes in the top every 6 inches all over it for clamps.
    "Workshop" - a place to relax and enjoy life.

Nice! One of mine is a piece of plywood on top of a Harbor Freight plastic cart! Yes, the plywood is charred in several places... I've got nicer tables, too, but that one always seems to be where I need a table at the moment...

Our sometimes welding table is two 4-foot pieces of fairly heavy 12" wide c-channel laid on top of sawhorses. Heavy stuff, maybe 20 pounds per foot. I have several more 8 foot pieces. I passed on the 24" tall I-beams the next-door neighbor was giving away, maybe 25-30 feet long.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------
    DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdiver View Post
    I made a cheap one

IMG_0995[1].jpg

I since drilled holes in the top every 6 inches all over it for clamps.

I made one similar to yours instead of the red cart I used this one from place below.. I paid 20 for on sale same place instead of a huge piece of 1/4 inch steel I used made 10 sections of 1.5 wide by 3/16 thick by 15 long cold rolled weld to the top in a Skelton type welding tabe. So I could clamp projects the height is about 33.5 inches high. I sit on a seat spider which is for hunting and has a boat seat on it and is the perfect height my work bench is about 38 inch and just seems to high up unless standing or sitting a a high chair lol's I ended out pulling welding gear off the bench and use the cart as a mobile welding around shop.. and now have a sand blast cabinet on the bench.. that 33.5 is perfect from a seated position and 38 is good form a standing position.. I will get pictures of the mobile Skelton table later only thing I can suggest if you mske a Skelton table dont weld in place make it so you can adjust the slats by sliding further or closer together so it's more user friendly.. when parts are odd shade and need to fit inbtween slats unlike I did I welded mine in place.. any how here is the link to cart I used and the guys I gutted came out good to.. I like mine better cause I don't have to drill 1/2 inch holes every 6 inches if wondering what a Skelton table is google it..

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...2733444&ipos=1