Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

lots of tiny MIG dots on galvanized tank?

('Just like returning to my old campus!)
    I have another unusual project for a client Make a large (about 7 foot long, main body is 24" diameter) "Steampunk Submarine from a heavy large galvanized water heater tank. on which I will put zillions of "MIG Dots" to simulate rivets (I have done many such dotes on other projects. The question here is "mini grinding the spots for the dots. I am leaning towards 2" scotch brite "coarse" discs, although my preference hs always been flap discs. I want to minimize the size of the prep spots , as this piece is going to be sprayed with Antique Copper metallic Hammered paint, and I am afraid a series of larger spots will really show through the paint.
    I know the protocol of grinding off the galvanized, super ventilation...and I am Lactose intolerant, so drinking milk is out of the question, but am searching for a way to "mini grind " all those hundreds of spots.
    I f there was an abrasive "stick about the size of a pencil I could mount in an air grinder, that would be perfect!
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Quote Originally Posted by Hotfoot View Post
    ('Just like returning to my old campus!)

I know the protocol of grinding off the galvanized, super ventilation...and I am Lactose intolerant, so drinking milk is out of the question, but am searching for a way to "mini grind " all those hundreds of spots.
    I f there was an abrasive "stick about the size of a pencil I could mount in an air grinder, that would be perfect!
    Carbide burr, dust-mask and goggles?

Have you tried just seeing what would happen if you did the spot weld with no prep; just shoot it right through the coating? It's not structural, so who cares about the quality of it, just the appearance. If you usually do GMAW, try it first, but try FCAW if you don't like the GMAW appearance.

Again, you know the abatement techniques for welding on galvanized material...

"... If there was an abrasive "stick about the size of a pencil I could mount in an air grinder, that would be perfect!
    Hotfoot! I was wondering about you. Yes, get hold of some CRATEX abrasive sticks. Abrasive in a rubberized stick. It's similar to the old abrasive ink eraser sticks that draftsmen used in those motorized eraser gadgets. Otherwise, get some really coarse Scotchbrite pads, cut out circles with a hole punch and glue them on the end of wooden dowel rod. Worst case. get some gel-type clinging toilet bowl cleaner that has hydrochloric acid in it. Squirt out a bunch of dots, let sit awhile, then hose off. Maybe rinse with some baking soda in the H2O.

Another way is to put on a bunch of dots of coarse valve grinding compound from a tube (Permatex - "West Virginia toothpaste"). Then hit it with a stiff piece of rubber or even a pencil eraser. Sort of like "engine turning". Or glue on a bunch of those "candy dots" we used to eat as kids.

Actually, since it's not a pressure vessel, get a small ball-end grinding stone for your die grinder. Just kiss the surface and wiggle around a bit. As long as you don't get it too thin and burn through when welding.
    Last edited by usmcpop; 05-11-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------
    DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Don't know why I didn't think of small ball stones. I gave a large bag of assorted stones away because I never use them...but this seems to happen every time I give something away, or throw something out!

Thanks guys, I'll go dig some up in the morning...as soon as I first try trying a Non-prep approach.
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Don't know why I didn't think of small ball stones. ...
    Because you have big ones?

DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Quote Originally Posted by usmcpop View Post
    Because you have big ones?
    According to his ex girlfriend....

Quote Originally Posted by cope View Post
    According to his ex girlfriend....
    He is a legend. Haven't you seen some of his movies?

"Hot Foo -Flaming Feet", "HotFoo -Man with Big Stones", ...

Hot Foo t junk fui.jpg

Here' a pic from "Hot Foo- Man with Big Rod."

Hotfoot, I didn't think of this earlier, but you could try flux core for the "rivets". It will work well with galvanized.