Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Conversion from Oxy/ace to oxy/propaneSo I've got a Victor Superrange II torch outfit

So I've got a Victor Superrange II torch outfit. Wanting to convert from Acetylene to Propane as fuel gas. Read alot about this. Some say swap the tips, make sure you got a Grade T hose and the regulator is fine. Some say some acetylene regulators use same internal components (seals, diaphragms, etc) as propane regulators and some don't. I have a Victor CSRM 360 regulator. I contacted Esab (has victor line) and this is what they told me via email:

"Even though the parts are the same with exception of the delivery pressure spring and low pressure gauge. The marking specs state ACETYLENE ONLY. OSHA does fine customers for doing this."

I take this to mean in my home shop I'm ok using the acetylene regulator for propane because I don't think there is an issue with a different spring and I'm not worried about an OSHA fine in my home shop. If I were a business, I would probably swap it because of OSHA.

Did I interpret that correctly? Am I ok (safe) using this particular acetylene regulator for propane? Thoughts appreciated.

Sounds like you have the go-ahead from Victor. I would not be concerned.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------
    DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Quote Originally Posted by copiahdad View Post
    ...I'm not worried about an OSHA fine in my home shop...
    Correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THP1wlGT2fA

Welcome...
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast PA 200

Quote Originally Posted by M J Mauer View Post
    Welcome...
    Thanks!!!!

Be aware if you have type "R" hoses the are certified for acetylene only... For proper hose with propane use you should have type "T" hoses.... Using propane with type "R" hose will cause premature deterioration...

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Modern R hoses have been used with LP for many years without problems but it's your call to use R or T at home. I'll use either and have never seen LP eat a hose.

The Victor rebuild kits are the same soft parts for LP and acetylene. I rebuild my own regulators per the Victor manuals which are available on their website. The heavier springs on LP regulators would be dangerous in an acetylene application, but the light acetylene springs are of course safe at LP pressures. Do not use an LP regulator with acetylene as it's too easy to exceed 15psi.

Incidentally, the parent company of Victor bought ESAB and killed off a lot of their classic torches in favor of the Victor brand, but tips are available and there are plenty of ESAB torches on Ebay for those who like them.

Quote Originally Posted by monckywrench View Post

Incidentally, the parent company of Victor bought ESAB and killed off a lot of their classic torches in favor of the Victor brand, but tips are available and there are plenty of ESAB torches on Ebay for those who like them.
    I think Colfax Corp. the owner of ESAB, bought Victor (Thermadyne), and combined them, but maybe that's what you meant.

http://www.esab.ca/ca/en/news/latest...ldings-inc.cfm

I fired acetylene well over ten years ago. At first, for quite some time, I just used my same equip and just changed the tip. Since then, I have replaced my equipment with the grade T hoses and LP regs. Heating is better, since you don't have to worry about withdrawal rates, propane is available everywhere, cheaper, safer, lasts longer, cuts cleaner, more friendly with rust........... The only thing you can't do is gas weld with it.....and who does that anymore???
    "Stick-man"
    Miller Shopmaster 300, Super S-32P
    Lincoln
    Commander 500D
    LN-25
    Idealarc 250
    5 Idealarc Tig 300/300's
    Hypertherm Powermax 600

If the tank is big enough you don't have to worry about withdraw rates.

I think Colfax Corp. the owner of ESAB, bought Victor (Thermadyne), and combined them, but maybe that's what you meant.
    That's also what I said. Parent company = Colfax. They aren't really combined in terms of production, they just had the ESAB product lines cleansed of models considered redundant and replaced by Victor models with ESAB labels.

Note the replacement of ESAB torches with Victor models.

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products...ry&catId=21263

Another great torch brand passes into history but there's a century-worth of hardware out there and tips etc are available.