Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

RC-300 successful Haas Kamp conversion

I converted my welder to single phase this past weekend and it works great!
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4w...ew?usp=sharing

Excellent! I love it when someone can mod a machine like that.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------
    DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Quote Originally Posted by usmcpop View Post
    Excellent! I love it when someone can mod a machine like that.
    One of these sold recently (untested) for $221 CAD at auction in Langley BC, complete with feeder and all gear!

Wow, that was a heck of a deal. I really don't see anything that could go wrong inside one of these barring a direct lightning strike.

I got mine hooked up to my Cobramatic 150-003/Prince XL tonight and practiced welding some 1/4" 3003. I am very pleased with it. I think I will take the spoolgun off the Millermatic 251 tomorrow, I don't think I will be using it for welding aluminum much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerehauler View Post
    Wow, that was a heck of a deal. I really don't see anything that could go wrong inside one of these barring a direct lightning strike.

I got mine hooked up to my Cobramatic 150-003/Prince XL tonight and practiced welding some 1/4" 3003. I am very pleased with it. I think I will take the spoolgun off the Millermatic 251 tomorrow, I don't think I will be using it for welding aluminum much anymore.
    Any idea what the output amperage is, on single phase? As a non-electrician I don't know what advantages, or disadvantages this mod has over a phase-convertor, but it appears to be much cheaper in terms of cost.

I was running .035 wire, c-25 gas, on a piece of 3/8" flat. I had the wire feeder maxed out, but I couldn't run the voltage at maximum because it would almost 'evaporate' the wire and burn holes in the plate. I recall glancing at the meters and seeing 30 volts and 275-300 amps when welding at a normal arc parameter.

I really need to have someone watch the meters when I am welding aluminum, because I can get a bigger load on the machine this way. I am running 3/64" 4043 wire, 100% argon, welding 1/4" 3003. I also weld 5/8" round 6061 handles to the 3003 plate. My target wire speed is between 410 and 460 ipm and the voltage is 23.5 to 24. I have been fine-tuning things and I need to have someone watch the meters while I weld to see what they read. I wish I could figure out a way to have them 'freeze' like the MM251 does, but that is for another day.

In articles I have read, most seem to agree that a RPC will not provide full power. I am not sure if the Haas-Kamp conversion will yield full MAXIMUM power, but in my case, it is very satisfactory. I do not have any thicker aluminum to experiment with, and I probably won't buy a spool of .045 er70-s6 unless I have need of welding a lot of thick steel. I weld 90% aluminum currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerehauler View Post
    I was running .035 wire, c-25 gas, on a piece of 3/8" flat. I had the wire feeder maxed out, but I couldn't run the voltage at maximum because it would almost 'evaporate' the wire and burn holes in the plate. I recall glancing at the meters and seeing 30 volts and 275-300 amps when welding at a normal arc parameter.

I really need to have someone watch the meters when I am welding aluminum, because I can get a bigger load on the machine this way. I am running 3/64" 4043 wire, 100% argon, welding 1/4" 3003. I also weld 5/8" round 6061 handles to the 3003 plate. My target wire speed is between 410 and 460 ipm and the voltage is 23.5 to 24. I have been fine-tuning things and I need to have someone watch the meters while I weld to see what they read. I wish I could figure out a way to have them 'freeze' like the MM251 does, but that is for another day.

In articles I have read, most seem to agree that a RPC will not provide full power. I am not sure if the Haas-Kamp conversion will yield full MAXIMUM power, but in my case, it is very satisfactory. I do not have any thicker aluminum to experiment with, and I probably won't buy a spool of .045 er70-s6 unless I have need of welding a lot of thick steel. I weld 90% aluminum currently.
    Thanks for the reply, and please let us know if you come up with any other info on the comparison of the Haas-Kamp conversion and a phase converter.

I rigged up my phone camera to 'watch' the meters as I welded last night. At 505imp, the voltage reads around 26 and the amperage reads 260. This is with the inductance set at 85%. This setting is plenty hot for the 1/4" 3003.

Curiosity got the better of me, so I cleaned up three 1/4" thick scraps (2"x 10" long) and clamped them together. I then set the coarse voltage to 5 and the fine adjustment to 95%. I turned the wire feed up as high as it would go on the Prince gun. The camera said I was getting 33 volts and 320 amps. I could burn through the first two layers and leave a bubble on the bottom side of the third layer.

I then turned the coarse voltage down to one, and I could just barely sustain a very COLD arc with the fine control set at 35%. The meters were reading 125 amps and 14 volts. I do not have any thinner wire to test with, but the arc seemed pretty stable one I got it going.

As good as this conversion has been working so far, I cannot see ANY advantage to running a RPC for this particular welder. I never ran this welder on three phase, so I do not have a side-by-side comparison to offer. I am very impressed with the maximum and minimum outputs. If memory serves I have 220uf in capacitors PER leg, which was $57 from the Surplus Center in Lincoln, NE.

I highly recommend the Haas Kamp Conversion mod to this family of welders.

Thanks for the follow-up and additional data!