Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have done a lot of soldering and would have done this in a jiffy. I worried that if the diode wasn't the fix and I did an ugly job with that conformal coating a repair company would not fix it. York Electronics said they would fix it for 185 dollars plus shipping so I just boxed it up and shipped it to them. They will have it Friday. Hopefully they will go through everything and get everything fixed so I don't have to mess with it again.

I appreciate everyone's help with this issue and will post back success or failure with York Electronics. I found a good review for them and their price was somewhat reasonable for a 2 dollar diode. I hope it works out.
    Hobart 190 mig welder 13 months old still in the box
    champion 10k welder/generator- on the to do list

Quote Originally Posted by hydroax View Post
    I have done a lot of soldering and would have done this in a jiffy. I worried that if the diode wasn't the fix and I did an ugly job with that conformal coating a repair company would not fix it. York Electronics said they would fix it for 185 dollars plus shipping so I just boxed it up and shipped it to them. They will have it Friday. Hopefully they will go through everything and get everything fixed so I don't have to mess with it again.

I appreciate everyone's help with this issue and will post back success or failure with York Electronics. I found a good review for them and their price was somewhat reasonable for a 2 dollar diode. I hope it works out.
    I've never spoken with York but know several whom have used their services for various items. They will put that CCA through a battery of tests to reveal anything you may not have come across yet. It very well may fail in another area and will be repaired then.

I've heard nothing bad about them myself but turnaround time can be slow at times. However that being said, some are over anxious once they send their part in for a repair to process so be patient if possible.
    Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

I hope your right. There is not much to the board, and they should be able to load it down. The physical Hobart generator looks really beefy and the Koehler engine runs like it is new. I have the same engine on one of my t30 compressors. I picked up this machine for 500 bucks so 200 dollars to work the bugs out still keeps me in the win column. I am anxious to get it going so I can plug my 190 mig into it and see how it runs. we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by canoecruiser View Post
    This will most likely remove the conformal coat: https://www.zoro.com/techspray-confo...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

It is also available from Allied Electronics for a few dollars more: http://www.alliedelec.com/techspray-...FcZKDQodtJ8F7w

This diode is a drop-in replacement and is rated for 6 amps; the reverse voltage rating is the same at 1000 volts: http://www.alliedelec.com/nte-electr...FY5WDQodQKsNTg. Any silicon diode with equivalent or better ratings to what Keith referenced will work fine.

Before removing the existing diode, note which way it is oriented by identifying the cathode (should have a band around one end of the body). It sounds like you have experience with electronics so you should be in good shape.

If I had seen this conformal remover before I shipped it out I would have given it a go for sure. that's an awesome tip thanks! Hopefully I wont have to repair anything in the near future

I've read that the Champion 10K is very similar to the Miller Bobcat line of engine drives. Hobart and Miller have the same corporate parent. Some of the Millers' reputedly have a design flaw (a serious one IMO), in that if the battery is dead and you jump-start them from an external power source, it takes out a diode and then after it is running....there is no output due to no field excitation. The Millers, reportedly do not suffer any damage other than to the diode resulting from this step. I am not familiar with either engine drive and don't know first-hand how similar they are to one another.

The reason I state it is a serious design error is that if it is only used intermittently, a dead battery could be a likely occurrence, and jump-starting is a typical remedy to get it running immediately. If you need it to be reliable, say for emergency power, keeping the battery inside on a maintenance charger and connecting it as required would prevent any possibility of this happening.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
    Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Well I intercepted the board and replaced the diode with a nte5817 and soldered it in. No joy, then it let the smoke out of a trace. Bad day.

Im banking someone has seen this trace go before, which indicates something wrong with wire 20 or a engine regulator or diode. I am holding off doing anything till I get some feedback from you pros. The trace will be easy to fix but I certainly don't want to mess anything else up with this board.

Should I be able to run the engine with no card and verify the voltage from the regulator? Im thinking that was going out.

Update: regulator fine, stable, 12 volts from engine is good. checked wiring, everything looks fine. Checked the diodes on the board, all check good. D23 checked good before I replaced it. something's breaking down and it doesn't look like I am going to find it.

20170112_195024[1].jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hydroax; 01-12-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Hydroax, check your in-box for a PM.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52

For that diode to pull that kind of current it was either in backwards, Q5(or6 depending on board version) shorted, or rotor shorting to ground pulling too much current from 12Vdc on engine.

Keith

Update!

I sent the board out to York electronics, and not only did they fix it they reworked it replacing all the devices with sockets. Looks good and seems to work good. It cost me 200 dollars including shipping. To me that is a great value and I couldn't be happier with the company. I highly recommend you reach out to them if you need your board repaired.

20170126_205859.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hydroax View Post
    I sent the board out to York electronics, and not only did they fix it they reworked it replacing all the devices with sockets. Looks good and seems to work good. It cost me 200 dollars including shipping. To me that is a great value and I couldn't be happier with the company. I highly recommend you reach out to them if you need your board repaired.

20170126_205859.jpg
    Thanks for the feedback and update. That cost is not out of line at all I don't feel. Did you receive the same board back you sent, or is it a replacement? Matters not as you received a CCA that will perform as designed.

As mentioned earlier I've not heard bad on them at all. It doesn't seem their turnaround time was bad either in your case. That is great as I will continue to recommend their services.
    Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

That is surprising that they would go to the effort to put sockets in where they could. It also speaks well of their rework prowess; it is common to cut each lead on a dual-in-line package and remove each leg individually to make it easier, albeit destroying the original device in the process. The price you were charged is a bargain.

Did they recoat the circuit card after reworking? And was there any listing of devices replaced or a diagnosis of problem(s) found?

Thanks for the update.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by canoecruiser View Post
    That is surprising that they would go to the effort to put sockets in where they could. It also speaks well of their rework prowess; it is common to cut each lead on a dual-in-line package and remove each leg individually to make it easier, albeit destroying the original device in the process. The price you were charged is a bargain.

Did they recoat the circuit card after reworking? And was there any listing of devices replaced or a diagnosis of problem(s) found?

Thanks for the update.

There is a picture on the above post that I probably could have done a better job renaming the file so you would tell its the board but oops. You can zoom that up 300 percent and really have a look. It appears to be recoated. A gentleman called me, said the price would be 185,(which was posted on their website before I sent it in) plus shipping which was 9 bucks (they didn't even jack me on shipping) and said it would be out the door the next day. I asked him what was wrong but he kind of talked around the issue but did say the board did have a problem but will be returned repaired. With it being 200 dollars I was more than jacked. They did remove the diode I had put in as a replacement and I don't know if they put the original back in (I sent that too) but they put my diode back in the package and returned it to me as well. York Electronics really rocks in my book!

No diagnosis or list of replacements but the only thing I was aware of wrong was the little excite circuit for the generator and they replaced all devices. Awesome!
    Last edited by hydroax; 01-28-2017 at 07:48 PM.