Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

use trailer hub and bearing for driving 1" steel shaft

has someone used a hub. and fixed it so steel shaft can be turned, by an electric motor with pulley and belt?in other words hub stays still and shaft spins in bearing?its for a machine build.

Go to Youtube and search "welding positioner". Even if you're not intending to rotate something being welded, there are lots of videos there that could give you some ideas you could build upon.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
    Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

snapshot lathe.jpgneed better bearing then these flange style used here,need way to pre load bearings.

Ummm... Excuse me but is that a home made lathe, it looks like it was cast with concrete?

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

pre-load

yes its a you tube project ,not mine,trying to collect parts now,want to use better sideways etc loading,then cheaper ball bearing flange used here.thought some of you thinkers could come up with way to use roller bearing and pre load as it wear .

I made a band sawmill mill nearly 20 years ago, and used trailer hubs (bolted the hub to the plate, and with the four bolts was able to shim it parallel, use the stub shaft to mount the wheels that ran the band blade, and the pulley from the engine, I will try to post a picture not the best but one I took many years ago,
    Attached Images Attached Images