Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Bending and Mitering angle iron

Hi everyone I have a test coming up and one part of it requires me to be given several dimensions of a square and i have to bend an angle iron into the square using only a hacksaw to accomplish the cuts. I am assuming that the metal will be fairly thin due to timing and the lack of them making us use a torch. i believe i will have access to a vice to assist in the bending. I have searched all eh threads but cannot find a video or pictures to support the proper way to do this. can anyone help me out with a quick tutorial on this or point me in the right direction

I did not find a bunch of pictures but did find many ways to do this. There is math involved.

This is what I put into GOOGLE:

picture of bending angle iron

As with any search you may get exactly what you want but usually get a bunch you don't.
    pick and choose what you read until you understand what will be required of you.

I remember as a boy cutting V's in angle iron bending into a U putting wheels on one end and C clamps on the other to use for moving a small boat around. This was long before the internet, so the idea must have come from a magazine.
    Last edited by shady; 11-07-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dooco View Post
    Hi everyone I have a test coming up and one part of it requires me to be given several dimensions of a square and i have to bend an angle iron into the square using only a hacksaw to accomplish the cuts. I am assuming that the metal will be fairly thin due to timing and the lack of them making us use a torch. i believe i will have access to a vice to assist in the bending. I have searched all eh threads but cannot find a video or pictures to support the proper way to do this. can anyone help me out with a quick tutorial on this or point me in the right direction
    Google "miter corners in angle iron".

Dooco, welcome to the forum.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast PA 200

Hi everyone and thank you for the replies sorry it took so long to get back here the email never popped up about replies i tried what you both suggested but only came up with this image that kind of helps http://www.metalartspress.com/sites/...4-image004.gif
    this is basically what i have to do but the webpage is referring to using a "ironworker" machine. since this is a test i don't have access to one. I have to do this with only a hacksaw and a vice. I have made several attempts but they still come out a little off. my process is to take the 1/8" angle iron and measure up 1/8" from the bottom to account for the thickness and then make the 45 angles meet there. this produces a rounded corner which is ok but the 2 legs flare out the page is referring to setting a bend allowance gap i am unfamiliar with that. should i be cutting the same v with the 45's and just leaving 1/16th of an inch in the middle to allow for the bend? any pictures or suggestions would be appreciated
    Last edited by dooco; 12-06-2016 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dooco View Post
    Hi everyone and thank you for the replies sorry it took so long to get back here the email never popped up about replies i tried what you both suggested but only came up with this image that kind of helps http://www.metalartspress.com/sites/...4-image004.gif
    this is basically what i have to do but the webpage is referring to using a "ironworker" machine. since this is a test i don't have access to one. I have to do this with only a hacksaw and a vice. I have made several attempts but they still come out a little off. my process is to take the 1/8" angle iron and measure up 1/8" from the bottom to account for the thickness and then make the 45 angles meet there. this produces a rounded corner which is ok but the 2 legs flare out the page is referring to setting a bend allowance gap i am unfamiliar with that. should i be cutting the same v with the 45's and just leaving 1/16th of an inch in the middle to allow for the bend? any pictures or suggestions would be appreciated
    once you cut the v, score the inside of the remaining side with the hacksaw, exactly where you want it to bend. The steel will bend where it is thinnest.

With that, I'd ask the tester if it is allowed. Real world, do it...testing world, only if allowed.

In the real world, I might even score the outside instead, and then the kerf would open up when bent, as opposed to the inside kerf closing on itself. I'd then lay a bead in the outside kerf and use a flap disc to get perfect corners.
    "never argue with an idiot; he'll bring you down to his level, and win by experience"