Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Handler 140 Spool gun

Hello, Does anyone know of a spool gun for a Hobart Handler 140? I would like to use it to weld light gage aluminum sprinkler pipe!

There is no direct connect spool gun option for the Handler 140.

Keith

I have a HH140. It is possible to weld aluminum with this unit. I tried it on mine and it actually worked quite well. However, it take patients and practice. Just keep at it till you get all settings fine tuned. Birds nesting is a big issue but just keep tweaking the pressure on the roller and wire speed.

I'm thinking of getting a new 140 HH for doing aluminum welding .1 side of the drive roller is knurled .they have them on sale at Northern tool for $399 ,and you can also use one of the coupons also for $20 more off .

Its a good machine, will do quite a lot, but I seriously doubt it will do aluminum well... IT seriously lacks the amperage and trying to run aluminum wire through the whip will probably end up in a large tangle of wire in drive assembly as it probably not move through whip to gun effectively... And as mentioned above, it is not spool gun ready... May want to consider moving up to a 210MVP with spool gun if you want to try aluminum with 120 volt capable machine...

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Difficult to weld aluminum without birdsnesting any time to try to bend the whip while underway. On a coupon directly in front of you it'll run smooth as butter.

Just try to build somthing.

Save up for a HH190 with spoolgun combo.

Quote Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a new 140 HH for doing aluminum welding .1 side of the drive roller is knurled .they have them on sale at Northern tool for $399 ,and you can also use one of the coupons also for $20 more off .
    If you are really considering this machine, you are sadly lacking in your knowledge of aluminum welding. The HH 140 is an excellent machine, but is not for this purpose, as you have already been advised by others.

To remedy your lack of knowledge, go to "The Fabricator" site, and search for Frank Armao's articles on welding aluminum. There are more than six pages of article summaries, that amount to a short course on most aspects of aluminum welding, including several on machines and processes, and most are written by the guru, and head of aluminum welding technology for Lincoln.

This is the best free resource on the web for aluminum welding theory and practice!