Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Question Welding a shift fork

I have a question on the best method to weld a shift fork on an old Ford Tranny. I can do Stick, TIG or wire feed.

It looks like cast steel and I measured the hardness at Rockwell 25C or 253B. I am welding them for a buddy that is trying to change the offset for some crazy custom mod he is doing.

Any advice on what would be good and strong? I'll try to upload some images later...

Quote Originally Posted by jasowiii View Post
    I have a question on the best method to weld a shift fork on an old Ford Tranny. I can do Stick, TIG or wire feed.

It looks like cast steel and I measured the hardness at Rockwell 25C or 253B. I am welding them for a buddy that is trying to change the offset for some crazy custom mod he is doing.

Any advice on what would be good and strong? I'll try to upload some images later...
    I'd wager it is forged steel that has been shot peened as that is what I've seen when welding them back up. I don't follow what the need is from your description but however you do it brace it with gusseting on both sides of the offset as clearance allows.
    Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Question

Does anyone have suggestion on the best method and/or filler material?

I added an image in case that helps.

I would appreciate any advice I can get on the welding methods. As far as what my buddy is up to I am not sure. Just trying to weld them so they never break!
    Attached Images Attached Images

When in doubt a good chamfer on all 4 sides & 3/32" 7018