Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32

    Question Hobart Champion 16 8000watt AC/DC multipurpose

    Hey Y'all!
    New member here.
    I was at my father-in-laws the other day and he had a welder hanging out of an oak tree
    He used the tree limb to take the welder off of the trailer it was on and left it hanging there.
    I asked him what he was going to do with it and he said he going to take it to the scrap yard and see what he could get for it but he wanted to keep the trailer.
    I asked him what was wrong with it and he said it worked fine a couple of years ago but when he started it up awhile back the generator/welder was not working. I told him it was probably something simple like the brushes or it had lost magnetism but he said it was going to the scrap yard.
    Well to make a long story short I finally persuaded him to let me take a look at it before he took it off. At this point he said I could have it. He can no longer sees very well and has not welded in a while.

    My problem and the reason for seeking out this site:
    The only thing that is still legible on the face plate is "Hobart Champion 16 8000watt AC/DC multipurpose Mig/tig/stick" or something similar. The welding machine is still at his house and I will get it tomorrow but tonight I wanted to gather some info on it.
    The engine still has the plate with the serial number and the model/spec number but I can not find the plates on the welder/generator.
    It has the onan 16hp engine.
    As I said the face plate is completely faded. I would like to get a manual for replacement part numbers but I need the serial number for that.
    Does anyone know the year(s) in which they used the onan or has it always used this engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    All of the knobs and recepticles are still there and look pretty good. If I got it running though I will definetly need a new face plate for the control panel. This welding machine really does not look very bad seeing how it has been out in the weather for many a year.
    I would really like to get it looking almost knew again .
    Thanks
    Robbie

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32
    I was trying to find pictures of similar welding machines and I ran across this video. This looks identical to the one my father-in-law has except you can read the control panel on this one. Sadly I can not get the serial number from the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RFHmjbwRncs

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    2,052
    Not sure about the genny head, but the engine will be an Onan Performer Series. JD used them on their riding mowers for many years and you can find them on compressors and other gas powered equipment. Onan is gome but parts are availabe. In fact, they are about bullet proof. I have one on a skid mounted air compressor and it's going strong after 20 odd years plus they have a beautiful sound when worked. Only a big one lung Kohler sounds better. The earlier engines were pressure lubed but had no oil filter. The later engines (60's) to bankruptcy, had spin on oil filters.
    So little time...So many machine tools.........
    www.flipmeisters.com

    Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
    Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
    Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
    Harris OA
    Too many motorcycles.............-

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    Not sure about the genny head, but the engine will be an Onan Performer Series. JD used them on their riding mowers for many years and you can find them on compressors and other gas powered equipment. Onan is gome but parts are availabe. In fact, they are about bullet proof. I have one on a skid mounted air compressor and it's going strong after 20 odd years plus they have a beautiful sound when worked. Only a big one lung Kohler sounds better. The earlier engines were pressure lubed but had no oil filter. The later engines (60's) to bankruptcy, had spin on oil filters.
    Thanks sidecar,
    He said the engine ran like a top and he never had any trouble with them so they must be pretty tough.
    What I am looking for is a serial or model number on the welding machine so I can buy replacement parts.
    I know a couple of guys who can get me just about any small engine part I may need but I don't know where to look for the generator or welder parts
    Thanks for the reply
    Robbie

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Thanks sidecar,
    He said the engine ran like a top and he never had any trouble with them so they must be pretty tough.
    What I am looking for is a serial or model number on the welding machine so I can buy replacement parts.
    I know a couple of guys who can get me just about any small engine part I may need but I don't know where to look for the generator or welder parts
    Thanks for the reply
    Robbie
    I think there was a decal on the right side frame below the engine that has been worn off, but try the generator body for a stamped number. Also, I have a 1999 manual that has all parts #s, if that's any help, and Hobart would be the place for parts.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Northweldor View Post
    I think there was a decal on the right side frame below the engine that has been worn off, but try the generator body for a stamped number. Also, I have a 1999 manual that has all parts #s, if that's any help, and Hobart would be the place for parts.
    Thanks for the reply. I just brought the welder/gennie to the house and I believe it will be great when I get done with it. Needs new decals, fuel hoses and maybe some new wire. Over all the frame and covers are in pretty good condition.
    I have to work the weekend so I will be thinking about it the entire time

    I also think it is a 1995 model. I downloaded the manual but the control panel pic does not look like the one I have. Is this normal for the manuals? Do they make one manual for several serial numbers?
    I found one on line with pics of the serial number 395WR05343 and Spec. number SP7116A-001.
    Another thing I found odd. When looking for the manual, hobart ask for the Serial number. I put it in but the search comes up with nothing. If I put the Spec. number in where they ask for the serial number I get a hit. Kind of strange and it makes me wonder if I have the right manual.
    Any insight??
    Thanks
    Robbie

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I just brought the welder/gennie to the house and I believe it will be great when I get done with it. Needs new decals, fuel hoses and maybe some new wire. Over all the frame and covers are in pretty good condition.
    I have to work the weekend so I will be thinking about it the entire time

    I also think it is a 1995 model. I downloaded the manual but the control panel pic does not look like the one I have. Is this normal for the manuals? Do they make one manual for several serial numbers?
    I found one on line with pics of the serial number 395WR05343 and Spec. number SP7116A-001.
    Another thing I found odd. When looking for the manual, hobart ask for the Serial number. I put it in but the search comes up with nothing. If I put the Spec. number in where they ask for the serial number I get a hit. Kind of strange and it makes me wonder if I have the right manual.
    Any insight??
    Thanks
    Robbie
    Here is the control panel from my manual (I don't have the machine). It's dated 1997, but i suspect different engine types had different panels as well. Posting pics of yours would help identifying, since someone may recognize it. Pm your email and I'll send a pdf of the manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Northweldor; 12-27-2012 at 06:06 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Northweldor View Post
    Here is the control panel from my manual (I don't have the machine). It's dated 1997, but i suspect different engine types had different panels as well. Posting pics of yours would help identifying, since someone may recognize it. Pm your email and I'll send a pdf of the manual.
    Thank you for your help so far.
    The pic you posted looks like the one in the manual I downloaded but my machine looks like this: http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...21025/U9582/11 .
    I will be connecting the lights to my shop Monday and start tearing down the machine. I will take pics of it before I start, during the rebuild and when it is complete.
    I will try to post some "Before" pics Monday evening but for now mine is just like the one in the link above. The only difference is that all the decals are gone off of mine.
    Thanks again!!
    Robbie

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    2,052
    That one's got my favorite connects on it... Tweco half turns.... Nice machine. With that one, the addition of a HF box, and Argon and you can TIG (scratch start).
    So little time...So many machine tools.........
    www.flipmeisters.com

    Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
    Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
    Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
    Harris OA
    Too many motorcycles.............-

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    That one's got my favorite connects on it... Tweco half turns.... Nice machine. With that one, the addition of a HF box, and Argon and you can TIG (scratch start).
    You have good taste Sidecar. I like the half turns as well.
    I do a lot of tig welding at work with a miller electric unit (not sure of series) but it has a HF unit built into it and is great for aluminum.
    I also use a bobcat for pipe welding in the field. Mostly 3" to 12" SS pipe where I work.
    I do not use a remote for the tig rig, the torch is always hot. I have never tried a remote and do not know if I would like it or not. Would you rather use one or not? I am looking for the best set up at the house and want to know if I should invest or stick with what I know.
    As for the HF box, I do want to weld aluminum so I will have to find one. This machine should be able to handle it with no problems right?
    Thanks,
    Robbie

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Thank you for your help so far.
    The pic you posted looks like the one in the manual I downloaded but my machine looks like this: http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...21025/U9582/11 .
    I will be connecting the lights to my shop Monday and start tearing down the machine. I will take pics of it before I start, during the rebuild and when it is complete.
    I will try to post some "Before" pics Monday evening but for now mine is just like the one in the link above. The only difference is that all the decals are gone off of mine.
    Thanks again!!
    Robbie
    Sent the manual, but may be the same as what you already have. However, Hobart (and others) have a long history, started about 80 years ago, of putting out the same generator with various engines and control panel variations that were essentially just rearrangements of the same components. If you look at the panel in the manual I sent, it has all the same controls, with the addition of the process switch, and the resultant relocation of other components, when compared to your welder. This manual will probably do to get you started, and you will just have to be very careful when ordering parts, until you get the right manual.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Northweldor View Post
    Sent the manual, but may be the same as what you already have. However, Hobart (and others) have a long history, started about 80 years ago, of putting out the same generator with various engines and control panel variations that were essentially just rearrangements of the same components. If you look at the panel in the manual I sent, it has all the same controls, with the addition of the process switch, and the resultant relocation of other components, when compared to your welder. This manual will probably do to get you started, and you will just have to be very careful when ordering parts, until you get the right manual.
    Thanks.
    Looks like the same manual.
    I wonder if they still make or have copies of the one in that series with my control panel?

    The decals on mine are completely gone so I guess I will have to order a new control panel but if I order the one out of the current manual it will be the wrong one for my unit.

    I guess I could do a little light sand blasting on mine to clean it. Then take it and a picture of how it is supposed to look to a "Strip It", have them make and install new decals. This might be the easier route. What do you think?
    Also I see that you are a "senior member", any ideas on where to find parts for the 16hp Onan?

    Thank you again for all of your help! This has really been a huge help to me.
    Robbie

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    590
    That engine was used by Wheelhorse lawn and garden tractors in 1993. Toro purchased Wheelhorse in 1986 and they are still in business. Any shop that services Toro equipment should be able to help identify and supply you with parts. Check at Onanparts.com.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
    Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Altoona, Iowa
    Posts
    583
    Robbie,

    I have a (pretty sure)1999 Champion 16. See attached link. There's some info on remote for tig. I never did get set up with remote. I don't have high frequency, so I can only "scratch start" non-critical. I bought the welder in 2001, it was about a year and a half old and had less than a tenth of an hour (6-minutes) on the meter. It had been covered and kept inside since new. The owner only started it once and hadn't even attached the leads. I have had no problems with it, Great Welder.

    Good luck with yours!

    Dave
    "Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fire hydrant"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Altoona, Iowa
    Posts
    583
    Robbie,

    Sorry, here's the link:

    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...6-Running-Gear

    Dave
    "Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fire hydrant"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •