Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: grinders?

grinders?

Someone probably talked about these before i got here but im gonna buy a name brand grinder im leaning toward a dewalt but can anyone give me their 2 cents about grinders and which brand is better? Bosch seems good and so does makita but ive only used cheap grinders until i buy a new one.
    Miller Trailblazer 251
    Lincoln Electric Pro-Core 125
    14''chop saw
    7 inch grinder,2-4.5 inch grinders,electric die grinder
    half inch drill
    And alot of hand tools

I think most of them are a reasonable bet. I have a Ryobi 4 inch grinder that I bought in 1990 during a truck repair project. The button to stop the shaft from turning (so the wheel nut can be removed) is broken but it's lived through tough use. Even the $20 cheapo's from the dear departed Central Tractor refuse to die.

The one with the most torque was a Hitachi on sale at Costco for $30; it is a 4 1/2". And a few days ago I picked up a Harbor Freight for $15 just to see how good or bad it was, brand was Drill Master, a house brand I guess. It works quite well and will probably last a long time. One thing I'll say about the cheap stuff from China is that they all seem to pack a spare set of brushes and a few have gone through the original set and were replaced. It took ten or more years of hobbyist use for the first ones to wear away so I got my money's worth. I'm not a big booster of "inexpensive" Far East stuff but these have been good.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
    Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Been trying to break a 4-1/2 Craftsman for 10 years, so so good....

Dale

Joe, I know you are a budget and I can get bashed for this but it comes from some real experience not just whizzing one one day. Do yourself a big favor, go to Walmarts and spring 30$ for the B&D 4 1/2, I got a whole box full of carcasses, the design things just fell together on this item, doesn't mean all BD things are great but this is tough as nails and outlasted several yellow, I got tired of buying them. Its based on the same chassis, its about as good as any grinder I have ever used in this class and the kicker is the cost. There are a couple other maniacs on here said they beat them like rented mules too and they are still going.

I am pretty much a daily driver with a grinder, we tested this on the bench, not only one guy using it but at a level no hobby type could ever match. Never overheated it, between that anbrushch wear is what takes them out. This is not a firestorm but the model is 7750.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Joe, I know you are a budget and I can get bashed for this but it comes from some real experience not just whizzing one one day. Do yourself a big favor, go to Walmarts and spring 30$ for the B&D 4 1/2, I got a whole box full of carcasses, the design things just fell together on this item, doesn't mean all BD things are great but this is tough as nails and outlasted several yellow, I got tired of buying them. Its based on the same chassis, its about as good as any grinder I have ever used in this class and the kicker is the cost. There are a couple other maniacs on here said they beat them like rented mules too and they are still going.

I am pretty much a daily driver with a grinder, we tested this on the bench, not only one guy using it but at a level no hobby type could ever match. Never overheated it, between that anbrushch wear is what takes them out. This is not a firestorm but the model is 7750.
    I have one as well. Came from Lowes and it wasn't very much. You can't kill it. I don't think it has stored smoke like the Chinese Harbor Fright stuff does, it never even gets warm......Only drawback I can see is the gears are a bit noisy.

Great cheap grinder
    So little time...So many machine tools.........
    www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
    Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
    Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
    Harris OA
    Too many motorcycles.............-

Two nice things about cheap grinders is you can have one for cutoff disks, another for grinders, another for a flap wheel, etc. Really convenient to just grab the right tool instead of changing wheels or pushing the wrong one. Second, it spreads the workload across a bunch of them. Finally if one breaks you have backups in a pinch. Okay, three things.......
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52

Here are the companies that "StanleyBlack and Decker" owns: (pretty much everybody)

http://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com...ces/our-brands

Lightbulb

A few years back I worked in a large-work fab-shop.
    They litteraly burned out several grinders a month.
    Three shifts 6 day weeks.

Most were top name, attempts at rebuilding worked sometimes
    other times not. I made a point of checking out the carcasses
    as there was no maintainance crew on 2nd shift.

I noticed that just the "luck-O-the draw" seemed to matter as much
    as anything else. Some had been under-greased from the factory.
    I saw a few that looked as if they had been forced together
    in assembly. Tollerence stacking can kill any tool out of the box.

SO
    Might as well follow the advice above. Plenty of evidence to suggest
    these can hold up as well as the $pen$ive ones.
    ViceGrip
    Negative people have a problem for every solution

i have a craftsman 4" from the late 80's that just wont quit. i got a 7" a few years ago that i have been well pleased with. you can kill anything pretty easy if youre not the guy paying for it. i have napa ingersoll rand, milwaukee and metabo. i cant find much fault with any.

i dont know where b&d are made these days but 20 years ago i liked their power tools and thought their German made drill bits where some of the finest i ever used....i still have a broken set that i cherish.
    Last edited by mikecwik; 09-29-2012 at 08:34 PM.

There seem to be two broad price categories for the little electric angle grinders:

From $15-20 to about $60 to $70; this spans the Horror Freight ones to big-box store DeWalts, Makita, etc.

And then the Metabo line at about $180 or so at tool boutiques.

I wonder how the Metabo feels and handles, and if any are actually sold at that price.

Has anyone on this forum used the Metabo grinders, and are they noticeably better than the stampeding herd the rest of us use?

Edit: I see Mike has a Metabo. Shine the light into the dark recesses of our alleged minds!
    Last edited by canoecruiser; 09-29-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Because Grasshopper wants to know.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52

i forgot about being cheap lol and went to homedepot and bought a dewalt 94 bucks and its got plenty of power but the gear case gets hot quick so im unsure about it my welder friend said its a break in period and i opened up the case and checked the grease on the gears its bare minamal grease so im gonna slather it in new grease and grind on if it not grind till it breaks return it and get another one.
    Miller Trailblazer 251
    Lincoln Electric Pro-Core 125
    14''chop saw
    7 inch grinder,2-4.5 inch grinders,electric die grinder
    half inch drill
    And alot of hand tools

FCJoe, I noticed the same thing you and VG did....greasing the bevel gears seems to be optional at the manufacturer and I've greased 'em up too.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52

Hi, too much grease, as in packed to the rafters etc and they will run hot.

All gear cases with grease packs should only be loaded to 2/3rd full to give the grease room to circulate.
    Ian.

what type of grease is everyone using ?

You can't go wrong with a tub of wheel-bearing grease.
    Has the greatest ristance to hardening, and is "heat-seeking".

If you have a tool that runs hot, the only drawback could be
    a little weapage, as wheel-bearing grease gets a little runny
    as it gets hot, and may find a place to escape a little.
    Phil
    ViceGrip
    Negative people have a problem for every solution