Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Recall on Worthington MAPP-Pro Cylinders

My workplace just issued a recall to the trades on Worthington MAPP-Pro portable cylinders. Apparently the valve may not reseal when you disconnect the torch, allowing the gas to leak out and create a hazardous situation.

The recall is as follows:

Sold at: Various plumbing/HVAC distributors, Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware Stores nationwide and in Canada from October 2004 through January 2012 for about $7 to 13 for cylinders and $45 to 75 for the torch kits.

Remedy:

Unused cylinders: If the cylinder has never been connected to a torch or other device, do not use cylinder. Return cylinder to store where it was purchased for exchange or full refund.
    Partially-used cylinder currently connected to torch or other device: Do not disconnect torch or other device. Take outdoors and ignite the torch and burn off entire contents* of the cylinder. Disconnect the torch from empty cylinder and dispose of empty cylinder per cylinder label instructions or return it to store where it was purchased for exchange or a full refund.
    Partially-used cylinder NOT connected to a torch or other device now: Take cylinder outdoors. Leak test top of the cylinder with soapy water. If bubbles develop, attach the torch. Ignite the torch and burn off entire contents* of the cylinder. Remove the torch from empty cylinder and dispose of empty cylinder per cylinder label instructions or return it to the store where it was purchased for exchange or a full refund. If no bubbles develop, do not use cylinder. Return it to the store where it was purchased for exchange or a full refund.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Thanks for the heads-up. Some additional detail:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12117.html
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------
    DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++