Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Auto Darkening USA Made Welding Helmets? Which model & Mfgr?

I want to buy a made in USA auto darkening welding helmet. I am evaluating other parameters aside from country of origin. But made in USA is what I really want to buy. Can anyone confirm that any of the more commonly found helmets are currently made in USA? I'm still digging into this, not as easy as you might think to determine.

Please don't tell me how much you like your HF or other chinese/korean helmet as that's not what I'm asking nor do I care.

Thanks
    Last edited by morsetaper2; 12-28-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Roger Guest
    Maybe assembled in USA or some percent made in USA. USA brand?

Original concept was USA flash protection for bomber pilots dropping atomic bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Maybe assembled in USA or some percent made in USA. USA brand?
    In an ideal world entirely made in, and assembled in USA would be ideal. Maybe not possible however. But for instance Miller Helmets (a US brand) are Korean made. So they're out.

Supposedly Speedglas & Jackson are made in USA. But I'm still digging into those details.

Well you will have to be very careful in what you believe in the companies statements. As the US trade commissions rules were written to make it difficult for the consumer to find out country of origin. They have revised them, but there is still a lot of qualifiers, and lawyer speak, wiggle room that a legal battle would talk years arguing about what the meaning of is is!

There was a big stink with Harley Davey parts and accessories a while back. They clearly were marked on the package that they were "Made In the USA". They items in side were stamped made in China/Mexico! The USA had a "Value added" at one time. Meaning if the largest per centage of the price of an item is added in the USA, It could be labeled made in the USA.

At one time all it had to be was packaged in the USA, don't know if that is still the same. I bought a jack from an auto parts store that the box had American flags etc all over it, with made in the USA. Upon closer examination of the wording in a very same font under a large dropped shadowed USA, " all packaging is made and it is packed in the USA ".

They had such a uproar over all the lawyer speak and qualifications and expectations, they have cleared some of it up.

Open your cupboard doors and read the can food labels, even the mushrooms that go on the pizza's from some pizza chains are grown and canned in China or India. A lot of the seafood and other frozen foods at Aldi's and other stores are from Vietnam.

Here is the feds web site with the education material for business and consumers, along with a number of enforcement actions

Here is one section
    Buy American Act — Requires that a product be manufactured in the U.S. of more than 50 percent U.S. parts to be considered Made in USA for government procurement purposes. For more information, review the Buy American Act at 41 U.S.C. §§ 10a-10c, the Federal Acquisition Regulations at 48 C.F.R. Part 25, and the Trade Agreements Act at 19 U.S.C. §§ 2501-2582.
    A product that includes foreign components may be called "Assembled in USA" without qualification when its principal assembly takes place in the U.S. and the assembly is substantial. For the "assembly" claim to be valid, the product’s last "substantial transformation" also should have occurred in the U.S. That’s why a "screwdriver" assembly in the U.S. of foreign components into a final product at the end of the manufacturing process doesn’t usually qualify for the "Assembled in USA" claim.

Example: A lawn mower, composed of all domestic parts except for the cable sheathing, flywheel, wheel rims and air filter (15 to 20 percent foreign content) is assembled in the U.S. An "Assembled in USA" claim is appropriate.
    The auto's are one area in addition to wood and textile products that have special rules. Since I think with the current general consumers standards rules, the only truly American made cars are the Honda's when you look at content!

All of the "American cars and trucks" have more foreign parts than domestic all are or were above 70% foreign content.
    American Automobile Labeling Act — Requires that each automobile manufactured on or after October 1, 1994, for sale in the U.S. bear a label disclosing where the car was assembled, the percentage of equipment that originated in the U.S. and Canada, and the country of origin of the engine and transmission. Any representation that a car marketer makes that is required by the AALA is exempt from the Commission’s policy. When a company makes claims in advertising or promotional materials that go beyond the AALA requirements, it will be held to the Commission’s standard.
    Good luck and please lets us known if you find one.
    glen, been there, done that and probably broke it!If you aren't on the edge. You'r taking up to much room

Well, it is a global economy, so its going to be difficult, just like PT says...On food labels I often encounter "Packaged for Blah Blah,USA", but not the country of origin. When in doubt, email the company's Customer support (which should be in USA, as well, right!) and directly ask the question about a specific model #.

I'm going to guess that the best you are going to get is "parts and Pieces" from "other supplier"...like the battery, Solar screen, or lens, straps...maybe the box it comes in.

Let us know what 100% USA ones you come up with, many of use would like to know, as well!
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Well, it is a global economy, so its going to be difficult, just like PT says...On food labels I often encounter "Packaged for Blah Blah,USA", but not the country of origin. When in doubt, email the company's Customer support (which should be in USA, as well, right!) and directly ask the question about a specific model #.

I'm going to guess that the best you are going to get is "parts and Pieces" from "other supplier"...like the battery, Solar screen, or lens, straps...maybe the box it comes in.

Let us know what 100% USA ones you come up with, many of use would like to know, as well!
    "Good Enough Never Is"

My kids were assembled in America from foreign and domestic components.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------
    DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Jackson Next Generation-USA

The auto darkening insert is made or assembled in USA with some global components. Some of the other Jackson AD lenses are not domestic. Most Jackson accessories such as clamps and glasses are from China or India.
    My $275 Jackson lens was always difficult to turn on and killed 2 batteries every 2 months. After 5 months it wouldn't turn on anymore. I paid to ship it back to them. They wouldn't replace it as there was a small spatter zinc burn on the button membrane. The burn didn't affect operation. 2 1/2 days of my wages flushed down the toilet. I am using my previous 2 sensor weldmark insert and looking for a new 4 sensor lens. USA made or not.
    Last edited by gatemaker; 12-30-2011 at 12:22 PM.
    Ornamental fabrication shop worker
    At home...
    2011 Hobart Handler 210MVP, 2013 spoolgun
    homemade 6000watt generator--13hp Honda engine
    miller maxstar 200 stick/TIG

Thanks We need all the help we can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
    I want to buy a made in USA auto darkening welding helmet. I am evaluating other parameters aside from country of origin. But made in USA is what I really want to buy. Can anyone confirm that any of the more commonly found helmets are currently made in USA? I'm still digging into this, not as easy as you might think to determine.

Please don't tell me how much you like your HF or other chinese/korean helmet as that's not what I'm asking nor do I care.

Thanks

...I understand! You know, you can still buy vintage USA wristwatches, camera, and TV sets if you shop ebay...so that might further help getting that foreign "stuff" out of your life.

I assume you drive a pre-foreign components' vehicle. I used to strive for that, but (foolishly) let my ex-girlfriend talk me into selling my last one, which was my daily driver. She was an Emergency Room Nurse, and wanted me to get into something with airbags and shoulder harness' (I now drive a Volvo)..but, as is often the case, she's gone...and so is my '63 F100..

"Good Enough Never Is"

After doing some research I narrowed my choices to the "Hobby to Entry Level Pro" range ($100-$200). I am nowhere close to being pro but I hate cheap shiitt that falls short.

Reporting back, this is what my survey found:

* All Miller helmets: Made in Korea.

* Hobart helmets: Assumed they come from the same source (Miller) so I didn't even bother researching them

* Speedglas 100V: Estonia & Sweden sourced

* Jackson #14988, black, Pro, variable lens, helmet & lens assy made & assembled in Michigan. I neglected to ask where the headgear parts came from.

It was $180 shipped. I was able to call in and talk to 2 different people to get my questions answered WRT Jackson helmets. I have no doubt that their customer service will be very good if I need to use it. Some of their other helmets are foreign sourced however. So you need to look into it if you are like me and go out of your way to avoid chinese ****.

Jackson was recently purchased by Kimberley-Clark, but fortunately this Made in USA helmet is still available. I wonder if K-C will take Jackson down the toilet by further sourcing from Asia in the future?

I hope not. If they do, they'll loose my future business.

New Jackson

After almost 6 months without a good adf I went and bought another Next Generation. This lens comes on the first time the button is pressed and is very clear. My first one was blotchy out of the package and quickly turned black if not used for 15 minutes. It wouldn't even stay at #3 shade. Now I realize my first one was defective from the store. Still battling with Jackson to replace the $278 lens that died after 5 months. They are owned by the tissue company now.
    At home...

My replacement Jackson came today

The next generation lens is about $285+tax so I was determined to get a replacement as it was under warranty. The lens works as it should. The original didn't work worth beans and ate batteries.
    If you folks ever need warranty exchange with Jackson make sure you call or email them first and get an authorization number to return the part. Try to get the warranty claims person's name also.
    At home...