Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

7018Ac vs 7018 low hydro. rod

Just got my 235 lx a/c only welder set up and running great. I used a normal 7018rodhole to build a some brackets for a friend to hold commercial lawn seed spreaders on the bumper of a truck, they worked ok had to burn them hot it seamed to keep them going. (I did not bake them and got them from work and never been dried) tru some investigation at tractor supply noticed some 7018ac rods and picked up 5lbs. I used the 8 or 10 that wont fit in my storage case I made out of 2" pvc pipe and 2and caps one glued. Anyway t noticed I had to cut down my heat about 10 or 15 and their was a lot less BB'S vertical welds looked good and hover heads weren't to bad. I used 3/32 rod and welded 1/8 plate to 1/4 plate. Anyone no how to upload pic via android?

thats cool that it worked for you. i tried it once and ended up giving the 7018 away as an ac machine was all i had.

Cool

I used some when i was about 20 and that would be 33 years ago to fix my buddies Ford backhoe loader arm that broke in two. He only had an AC buzz box. I saw the weld a few months ago and it looks like i just did it minus the surface rust. I don't think i would have changed anything now that i look back and know a little more...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab
    Salem, Ohio
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

I honestly believe you get better penetration with a/c than d/c cause the rapidly changing polarity. I've been welding for years with d/c current and although its a lot smoother you can feel the rod pushing itself on ac it seems as its being sucked in

I'm the same way...been welding a ton of DC 7018-M at work, went back home for thanksgiving and was burning some AC rod on my buzzbox and it looked horrible, completely forgot how to weld with AC. I can lay down a perfect weld at work, was embarrassed to show off my work at home

I run 6011 when using AC. Good dig and does the job.

If "pretty" matters, they make grinders for that.

It had to be the old reliable buzzbox i had no choice!

Old alloy john checking in,
    hope all had a great holiday, this blog brought me back to the first welding machine i learned on. Burn't great mild steel rod ,but when i experimeted with alloy rod, forget it. Splater splater , the only rod that burn't was a 680 eutectic rod ? I have no idea why.

low hydro. rod

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I used some when i was about 20 and that would be 33 years ago to fix my buddies Ford backhoe loader arm that broke in two. He only had an AC buzz box. I saw the weld a few months ago and it looks like i just did it minus the surface rust. I don't think i would have changed anything now that i look back and know a little more...Bob
    been there done that. he hasnt been able to break it yet. did it 1981 even welded it down hill while a pro welder was telling me u cant do that they would run u off in a welding shop. and no i still aint a welder i mite qualify for a rod burner "maybe"