Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Decision on a basic ac/dc tig machine?

Hey feller's, I just need expierienced opinion's on 3 machines, Miller& hobart 185 version's and (forgive me, the everlast machine) but money is tight and have saved enough for the everlast . I do not weld for a living, just a sideline to make a little fishjng money. I have miller 212 with spoolgun and hobart ac/dc sticke, I need something for repairing thin aluminum flat bottom boat's, we have a bunch of um in mississippi, so I need small ac/dc/ tig ,but I still want a quality machine, prob'ly already know the answer just need apush one way or the other. thank you for your opinion's.
    Miller 212/3035 spool gun Hobart stick mate ac/dc oxy-act HTP 625 micro-cut plasma(12 yr. old son campbellhausfeld Mig) ,HayBudden 75# anvil and custom built coal forge.If I can't build it I don't want it.

inverter machines Thermal Arc 185 or HTP221

transformer machines Lincoln precision tig 225 or miller syncrowave 200
    Last edited by brucer; 12-02-2011 at 10:17 AM.

+1 on Brucers post. There are other options before going to off shore manufacturers. Enjoy and welcome to the forum
    Bob
    Enough tools to do anything, common sense to use em properly.
    Big nasty scar, no kidneys, so you think you got issues?

Thumbs up

I looked at the miller dynasty, lincoln invertec and the htp 201(did not really considered thermal arc)

I knew that I wanted a inverter machine.

As soon as they came out with the htp 221 dv I bought it and been very satisfied.(good company to deal with)

a friend of mine has a welding shop and has lincoln 185 and 225 and have been rock solid for years.
    HTP invertig 221 DV
    Lincoln 3350 viking ad
    Next... Hypertherm powermax 65
    Miller Passport Plus with spoolgun
    Lincoln Tombstone
    Grizzly 79" Belt sander
    Firepower Oxy/acetylene
    Ingersoll rand 2 stage comp.

Measure to build, Hammer to fit, Paint to hide.

Miller 180. Older machine transformer type, bullet proof. %0 amp breaker runs stick too!

I would sugest going to northern tool's website and looking at the hobart tigmate. It is reconditioned and sells for $1000. That is if you are looking for a lightduty machine it goes to 160ish amps. It has a foot pedal and does stick too I wouldn't but the EZ-tig 165i it doesn't stick but the tigmate does do stick.

Question same situation for me

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    inverter machines Thermal Arc 185 or HTP221

transformer machines Lincoln precision tig 225 or miller syncrowave 200
    Timing may never be better.
    My guy at Weld Specialty last time was pushing the Arc Master 200
    If I can get the "Man" to replace my Linde ? what to do ?

Any unit would cover all our steel tool-welding.
    But!
    I join aluminum in sections 2 1/4" X 4 1/4" (with HeliArc) "DC"
    How big of an inverter are we talk'n?? if I am to sell him on the premice
    "we won't need Helium any more" in otherwords AC on aluminum.

A M 200 do that ? (Themal Arc).
    or HTP invertig 221 DV
    Invertig 221H ?
    Thanks
    vg
    Last edited by vicegrip; 12-06-2011 at 08:49 AM.
    ViceGrip

Thank's Chasehav,that seems to be exactly what I need. I rather go with the tigmate than an import that's for sure.Just needing something better than my spoolgun for flat bottom boat's. Thank's for all your time and replies. GOD BLESS.
    Miller 212/3035 spool gun Hobart stick mate ac/dc oxy-act HTP 625 micro-cut plasma(12 yr. old son campbellhausfeld Mig) ,HayBudden 75# anvil and custom built coal forge.If I can't build it I don't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by vicegrip View Post
    Timing may never be better.
    My guy at Weld Specialty last time was pushing the Arc Master 200
    If I can get the "Man" to replace my Linde ? what to do ?

Any unit would cover all our steel tool-welding.
    But!
    I join aluminum in sections 2 1/4" X 4 1/4" (with HeliArc) "DC"
    How big of an inverter are we talk'n??
    what's material thickness?
    arc master 185=185 amp
    arc master 200=200amp
    arc master 300=300amp
    htp221= 220 amps

I would add on a water cooler and water cooled torch. In an Industrial setting the arc master 300 would be a good choice, the arc master 200 would do it depending on material thickness, would also depend on preference at that point and how many amps you need.. you know more is always better, you cant turn it up if its maxed out already..

The htp221 seems like a good deal right now, they are on sale for like $2100, plus they have the ability to store 64 preset programs for various material parameters.. you still have to add a water cooler so that adds to the overall cost.. I have yet to hear anything bad about the htp221..

I own a thermal arc 185, I would buy another thermal arc tomorrow their quality is excellent.. Its been a great machine at a great value, I paid around $1600 new when i bought it almost 6yrs ago, they cost more than that now..

Early this year I was planning on selling my 180c and buying an Ironman 230, but now that thermal arc has released the 181i and also introducing the 252i, I've also heard they were going to introduce a 210amp dual voltage mig/dc-tig/stick/spoolgun unit so now I'm going to wait and see before I make a decision, If they come out with a 210 amp class machine I'll get that one, I dont really need the 300 amps of the 252i.

Inverters also dont take near the power as the transformer machines, so your boss would save on that also..
    Last edited by brucer; 12-06-2011 at 04:13 PM.

I think it's .095, just old flat bottom john boats, maybe a diamond plate tool box now and then,nothing over 1/4".

Quote Originally Posted by backhoe View Post
    I think it's .095, just old flat bottom john boats, maybe a diamond plate tool box now and then,nothing over 1/4".
    I would look at the htp221 or thermal arc 185 or thermal arc 200 these inverters have some nice features..

Early this year I was planning on selling my 180c and buying an Ironman 230, but now that thermal arc has released the 181i and also introducing the 252i, I've also heard they were going to introduce a 210amp dual voltage mig/dc-tig/stick/spoolgun unit so now I'm going to wait and see before I make a decision, If they come out with a 210 amp class machine I'll get that one, I dont really need the 300 amps of the 252i.

too bad thermal arc did not make the 181i dual voltage ... I would have sold my passport today and buy it tomorrow.

I am also waiting to see the 210 dv and other options that may come next year.

Kemmpi minarcmig Evo 200 seems very nice but no dv
    HTP invertig 221 DV
    Lincoln 3350 viking ad
    Next... Hypertherm powermax 65
    Miller Passport Plus with spoolgun
    Lincoln Tombstone
    Grizzly 79" Belt sander
    Firepower Oxy/acetylene
    Ingersoll rand 2 stage comp.

Measure to build, Hammer to fit, Paint to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Matadem View Post
    too bad thermal arc did not make the 181i dual voltage ... I would have sold my passport today and buy it tomorrow.

I am also waiting to see the 210 dv and other options that may come next year.

Kemmpi minarcmig Evo 200 seems very nice but no dv

you from australia? reason i ask is you mentioned kempii..

you might Keep an eye out on cigwelds site, seems like they are releasing the new models before thermal arc does... cigweld are one and the same as thermal arcs just different colors..

what's material thickness?
    arc master 185=185 amp
    arc master 200=200amp
    arc master 300=300amp
    htp221= 220 amps

I would add on a water cooler and water cooled torch. In an Industrial setting the arc master 300 would be a good choice, the arc master 200 would do it depending on material thickness, would also depend on preference at that point and how many amps you need.. you know more is always better, you cant turn it up if its maxed out already..

The htp221 seems like a good deal right now, they are on sale for like $2100, plus they have the ability to store 64 preset programs for various material parameters.. you still have to add a water cooler so that adds to the overall cost.. I have yet to hear anything bad about the htp221..

I own a thermal arc 185, I would buy another thermal arc tomorrow their quality is excellent.. Its been a great machine at a great value, I paid around $1600 new when i bought it almost 6yrs ago, they cost more than that now..

Inverters also dont take near the power as the transformer machines, so your boss would save on that also..

Where have you seen the HTP 221 for $2100? USAWELDS is the only place I can find it sold and its 2500.00..
    Mike

HH210 & 3035 Spool Gun
    HTP 221 Tig
    Powermax 30 plasma
    HF bandsaw
    HF hood

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb9550 View Post
    Where have you seen the HTP 221 for $2100? USAWELDS is the only place I can find it sold and its 2500.00..
    they were on sale