Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Dump Trucks with Snow Plows

50% of the repairs I do locally involve all sizes of trucks with snow plows on them. I end up redecking alot of dump truck boxes, thanks to them runninig Salt Spreaders on them. I looked at one a couple of weeks ago where the guy says, "The pivot shaft on the bed broke on one side. can you weld it?" I told him to take the salter off and move the lights and wiring, then I would look at it. He got the salter off, I went and looked at it only to find the the box to frame pivot shaft had siezed due to lack of grease and salt and was twisted off on both ends. I showed him and gave him a Time and Material price. Yesterday, I jacked the back of the box up, then blocked it. Started cutting rusty remnants out, pounded out the remainder only to find the hinges were tore off from the frame due to the twisting of the siezed shaft! I cut the rear lip off the ends of the box to better access the hinges, ground and refit the hinges and pins. Rewelded those and fit in a new pivot shaft along with grease fittings. I told him I would be back tomorrow(today) to weld the back of the dump box back on where I cut it off.

I have found most people dont think a grease gun will fit there hand!
    Nickoli
    ~ OUCH...OUCH...#@&$ OUCH... That didn't take long to look at! ~

Lincoln Pro Mig175
    Hypertherm Powermax600
    Victory Journeyman O/Lp
    Jet 4x6 Bandsaw
    Craftsman Chop Saw
    Craftsman 15in Stationary Drill Press
    Grizzly Compact Bender
    Many Other Various Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    I have found most people dont think a grease gun will fit there hand!
    Are these the same people that never change the oil because "it's not that dirty?" Many years ago I had a contractor neighbor who made fun of my habit of dutifully recording all the maintenance on my F-250. When I bought a new truck and put that one up for sale, he couldn't find the cash and run across the street fast enough.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Are these the same people that never change the oil because "it's not that dirty?" Many years ago I had a contractor neighbor who made fun of my habit of dutifully recording all the maintenance on my F-250. When I bought a new truck and put that one up for sale, he couldn't find the cash and run across the street fast enough.
    +1! Same with automatic transmissions. Chrysler minivans with the 4 spd Ultradrive were notorious for being 75k mile boxes. But change the fluid and filter every 30k or so and they go for 200k+.
    Last edited by canoecruiser; 02-05-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
    Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    I had a neighbor that said he never changed his oil because it would stir up the dirt on the bottom of the pan and circulate it into the engine...