Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

50's 13"x40" southbend lathe

any advice for a guy going to check one out that doesnt know jack about lathes? no serial numbers or model.

im guessing at the age from photos.

Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

thanks for the link. good info along with humor. i didnt even bother to go look at it. the ads been running for months now and i guess i want plug and play rather than a likely project which is how things usually go for me.

Plug and play depends on the condition. Personally I own a SBL Benchtop, flat belt drive 7" that's just as accurate as anything out there and it was made in Indiana by real craftsmen.

If you want plug and play and don't have steel hinges on your wallet, you are basically stuck with a Chi-Com machine with change gears and minimal hard tooling.

Of course I'll sell you my Dashin Prince 13x40 (swings 21" through the gap) geared head engine lathe completely tooled, 4 jaw, 3 jaw, face plate, Wedge Lock Tool Post, coolant system, Collet closer with nose piece, follow rest, steady rest with full Meehanite Hardended Ways and a D1 Camlock spindle. It's in excellent condition (It's mine so I'm careful not to damage the ways). It's a 220/1 machine. You could buy it new with less tooling for around $4500.00 plus freight but I'll sll this one for a grand and you pick it up.

I can load your truck or trailer. It weights about 1000 pounds.

Or............

How about a Clausing 10" swing toolroon lathe. also completely tooled plus toolpost grinder and taper attachment, under drive cabinet machine in mint condition, tooled as the above machine but with a threaded spindle. $2700.00 and I can load it as well.

Both very 'Plug and Play'.....
    So little time...So many machine tools.........
    www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
    Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
    Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
    Harris OA
    Too many motorcycles.............-

try this... its a craiglist search bot called jaxed.. i went ahead and plugged in tools/pennsylvania/lathe for you
    http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/sd.cgi?...e=PA&submit=go

nice leblond regal 14x20, its kind of short though, nice clean machine.. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2479042691.html

heres a lodge&shipley 16x60, bet it'll move some metal.
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2482015791.html

if i had $1000 burning a hole in my pocket and was a little closer to him i would own sidecarflips dashin prince that sounds like a pretty good package deal... if he dont sell it by winter i might take a trip to michigan anyways..
    Last edited by brucer; 07-14-2011 at 01:06 AM.

It is a nice machine. It's single phase to boot. It's geared head so the entire headstock runs in oil (Shell Spindle oil, the carriage also is in oil, Shell again). I bought the machine from a high school that never used it. It was in cosmoline when I brought it home. It cuts metric, SAE and Diametrical pitch threads, power cross and longitudinal feeds triple V way bed and it's hardened, something that most old machines aren't. All the vintage South Bends and LeBlond's have cast iron beds that aren't hardened and all of the are prone to wallowing out with use and neglect. On a vintage machine you must apply way oil each and every time you use it plus fill the oil cups for the headstock and keep the QC gearbox well oiled, as most run in insert (plain) bearings.

The Prince is all ball and roller bearing and has hardened Rieschauer gears in the gearbox.
    www.flipmeisters.com

Harris OA

i never knew about the craigslist search engine.

flip, i might come round and have a look at your machines. it wouldnt be too far out of my way when i go to the brickyard for motogp aug 27 28 29. or i guess i might even be able to take a day off beforehand since youre really not all that far. if you can send me some pictures that would be nice.

i tried to email myself from the link in my profile and either its slow or doesnt work so ill pm you it.

Actually, the easiest way to correspond with me is sales@flipmeisters.com which is my e-mail address.

One day, I'll have to start posting pictures. I have a really nice digital SLR that takes fantastic pictures..... Flipmeisters bought it....

I'm just north of Toledo (and the Ohio Turnpike) about 20 miles, straight up US23. Cabelas is about 4 miles north of me.
    www.flipmeisters.com

Harris OA

Flip,

with all of those lathes, are you sure you're not turned out?

The serial number is engraved in the top of the way's at the tail stock end. Also check the way's for wear , cross and compound screw's for backlash. Check spindle for wear and end play. Check carriage feed screw for wear and half nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by AZwelder1 View Post
    Flip,

with all of those lathes, are you sure you're not turned out?
    I just seem to acquire them, like wives.....

Quote Originally Posted by mhttruking View Post
    The serial number is engraved in the top of the way's at the tail stock end. Also check the way's for wear , cross and compound screw's for backlash. Check spindle for wear and end play. Check carriage feed screw for wear and half nuts.
    First thing I look at is if there is damage to the ways near the headstock. People have a tendency to forget to remove chuck keys, it's heck on ways when it spins around....

Most older machines, especially with plain bearing headstocks have a radial bearing on the outborad end to take up end play. I'd be more cognizant of the oilers and if there is lubricant showing on the bearing (take up) outer edge. That's a dead give away to tell if the owner kept the oil cups full.

All the older machines with cast iron beds will wallow a bit down the ways, with use. The best way to tell is to chuck a center drilled length of drill rod between centers (headstock and tailstock) and use an indicator on the compound. You can also ascertain how much run out there is in the headstock (and how bad the bearings are), by grasping the drill rod with an indicator on it at the headstock end and moving it side to side or up and down and noting the deflection. Acouple thousands is acceptable for a plain bearing machine, anymore indicates worn insert bearings (usually caused by no oil).

Of course, none of the above applies to a tapered ball/roller bearing machine and /or hardened ways.

Far as the compound and cross slide, unless the Gibs are adjusted correctly, it's pretty hard to determine backlash in the feed screws and if there is, it's pretty easy to make new nuts from bronze stock.

Newer machines ,ike my Prince and the LeBlond have seperate splined feed rods so the leadscrew is just for threading. It sits there unmoving 95% of the time.
    www.flipmeisters.com

Harris OA

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

I'm just north of Toledo (and the Ohio Turnpike) about 20 miles, straight up US23. Cabelas is about 4 miles north of me.
    Cabelas is 200 miles from my house and i get up there once a year. I will give you a shout sometime on my way by...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab
    Salem, Ohio
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mikecwik View Post
    any advice for a guy going to check one out that doesnt know jack about lathes? no serial numbers or model.

im guessing at the age from photos.
    If the price was right i would buy it esp if you didn't have to haul it far...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab
    Salem, Ohio
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Cabelas is 200 miles from my house and i get up there once a year. I will give you a shout sometime on my way by...Bob
    I'm sure you'll like poking around in my 'man cave' turned shop cave. It has grown from a man cave into a 40 x 40 building with o.h. crane and air conditioning. I try to stay away from Cabelas. Cabelas has changed our rural way of life and not for the better, I might add. I find them overpriced as well.

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    If the price was right i would buy it esp if you didn't have to haul it far...Bob
    Bob...You are like me in that almost any SBL lathe or machine is a tentative purchase because we admire the craftsmanship. What we don't admire is the less than ideal care they receive from ignorant owners. However, all are rebuildable with time care and knowledge.
    www.flipmeisters.com

Harris OA