Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Polaris 600 ATV to power 50amp welder?

Hey guys, I was thinking the other day to my self (very dangerous - and usually expensive).

I said self, what if I could hook up my 50 amp arc welder or HH 187 to my quad so that I could weld wherever I want???
    I could make a mobil welding palace!

I guess it's as simple as getting a good power inverter, I'm just wondering if anyone has done this or has a nice simple way to go about doing so?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
    Hey guys, I was thinking the other day to my self (very dangerous - and usually expensive).

I said self, what if I could hook up my 50 amp arc welder or HH 187 to my quad so that I could weld wherever I want???
    I could make a mobil welding palace!

I guess it's as simple as getting a good power inverter, I'm just wondering if anyone has done this or has a nice simple way to go about doing so?

Thanks!
    Yes,, It's called a mobile welder or generator.
    I don't think your ATV battery is big enough plus you would need a very large inverter.

Roger Guest
    Hobart Trek 180 is made to be charged by 12V to 120V inverter power might be what your looking for.
    http://hobartwelders.com/products/ba...wered/trek180/

Another way to do this is get old belt drive Hobart welding generator for stick welding and power it with PTO power from engine. It would take most of the engine's power to do this. Once saw a picture of Cushman 3 wheel pickup with belt drive generator in back probably powered this way. It was for sale at a USAF surplus auction.

Or maybe use belt drive welding alternator based on modified car alternator to stick weld. Find how to build or were to buy one on Internet.

Roger Guest
    Hobart trek 180 battery powered welder might be what your looking for. Might charge off inverter hooked up to Polaris 600 ATV. Find it in product link at top of this page.

For the price of an inverter big enough and retrofitting a LARGE battery to your quad, the Treck would be cheap.
    So little time...So many machine tools.........
    www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
    Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
    Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
    Harris OA
    Too many motorcycles.............-

the electrical system isnt strong enough. it is barely able to run its own electrical needs.if you wanted to run a generator off of the motor that would work but you can buy something complete probably cheaper.

Ok, thanks for the responses

Quote Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
    Ok, thanks for the responses
    Better to gather input before embarking on something that might prove to be expensive and fruitless.

My Yamaha 2800I fits nicely on the rear rack of my Foreman 4x4. That would power the Trek or at least recharge the battery..... Something I'm thinking about getting in the interest of portability.
    www.flipmeisters.com

Harris OA

Roger Guest
    Any other welder you would have to power off PTO from engine or belt drive car alternator converted to provide welding power. This would be easier to do on a riding lawn mower than what your writing about.

I remember seeing an contraption somewhere that utilized an alternator mounted on a riding lawnmower for auxilliary power.

That would be hard to do with a quad as there is no exposed PTO access or easy avenue (except machining the front cover to accept an outboard add on.

That's how you supercharge a Rocket 3. You machine the front cover, add a Lovejoy coupling, outboard carrier bearing and stub shaft to drive the supercharger. I, myself prefer an exhaust turbocharger but the supercharger has no lag time to 'spool up' like the turbo does.

325 RWHP is attainable with slight modification to the fueling tables.

Just the ticket for a Sunday drive.....
    www.flipmeisters.com

Harris OA

Hobart Titan 7000 AC/DC

Hobart Titan 7000 AC/DC
    16HP Kohler engine
    Looking for owner and parts manual
    Engine runs fine but welder will not weld, receptacles have no power. Need to know what to check in order to narrow down a specific problem. Sounds like itís the generator part but have no clue as to how to check this out; any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    I remember seeing an contraption somewhere that utilized an alternator mounted on a riding lawnmower for auxilliary power.

That would be hard to do with a quad as there is no exposed PTO access or easy avenue (except machining the front cover to accept an outboard add on.

That's how you supercharge a Rocket 3. You machine the front cover, add a Lovejoy coupling, outboard carrier bearing and stub shaft to drive the supercharger. I, myself prefer an exhaust turbocharger but the supercharger has no lag time to 'spool up' like the turbo does.

325 RWHP is attainable with slight modification to the fueling tables.

Just the ticket for a Sunday drive.....
    I think out in the shop had that set up. Is he still around??

I guess you could do all of this if there was a high demand for mobile all terrain welding in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by WLWDESIGN View Post
    Hobart Titan 7000 AC/DC
    16HP Kohler engine
    Looking for owner and parts manual
    Engine runs fine but welder will not weld, receptacles have no power. Need to know what to check in order to narrow down a specific problem. Sounds like itís the generator part but have no clue as to how to check this out; any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Start a new Thread
    Ed Conley
    Screaming Broccoli, Inc
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
    TA185
    SO 2020 Bender
    Miller 125c Plasma
    "Hold my beer while I try this!"