Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Everlast welders

Are these welders ANY good or are they just some chinese POS? looking at a 200 amp tig/stick/plasma combo machine. I don't care for the plasma part because I already have a nice plasma rig, but I do want a 200 amp tig machine. Says it comes with tig torch, stinger, ground, foot pedal, regulator, some consumables and a 3 year warranty.

If I need to steer clear just let me know.
    Snap-on Muscle Mig
    Thermal Arc 95s
    Hobart HH 125EZ
    Hobart AirForce 625

Everlast <<< maybe >>> Longevity...If indeed the same company there was a guy who did a "demo" on youtube. The longevity 3 in 1 machine was bought and he used a 8-10 pound sledge hammer for the "demo".
    I would not waste my money on something that's questionable for a over seas product like that. Buy USA and get a good warranty.
    {{{{{ STEER CLEAR }}}}}

There are those who love Everlast and those who hate it. There are those who love Longevity and those who hate it. There are those who Love Miller and Hobart and Lincoln, ESAB and those who hate them. I have had fair dealings with them but as with all companies, equipment and customer service these days, your mileage may vary. We all live in a global economy now so buy what you can afford, take a close look at customer support of any company you chose to deal with (location of service as well as reliability and integrity of the company to support you as a customer) and be prepared to deal with issues if they arise.

Thurmond
    Last edited by Tritium; 05-25-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    Miller Bobcat 3 Phase,
    26 series gas cooled TIG torch, setup for quick connect to Bobcat.
    Miller Suitcase X-Treme 12VS
    SuperCut 50P plasma cutter returned after issues for EVERLAST PowerUltra 205P
    Hobart Handler 187 Mig / Flux Core
    Standard Oxygen / Acetylene Cutting, Welding setup.

I live in my own little world. That's OK, they understand me here.

I have a couple of Everlast machines. The Powerplasma 50 and the Powertig 250EX.

So far they have been great machines with only shipping damage on my Powerplasma 50 which they fixed with a new face plate.

It seems that those who speak out the most loudly about how bad Everlast machines are, are those who don't own one but hate the idea of them being made in China.

The argument goes that the American Machines mean American jobs....but if you look inside the American machines, they are full of parts made in China and are often built in China or Chinese parts assembled in Mexico.

That argument has been going on for quite a while as we have been sold out by our government that allowed that to happen. Seeing how most large corporations are no longer considered "American" by themselves as they have put production of their products out of America for tax and other reasons. Thank you Bill Clinton and all the politicians for selling out the American worker with NAFTA and GATT.

That argument aside, the Everlast machines have been reviewed by quite a few people and so far there seems to be very little difference in the welds.
    The main difference between Everlast and say, Miller or Lincoln is price. The Chinese machines have been very good at using IGBT technology and have made machines smaller with more bells and whistles than the supposed "American" machines.

The advice I have gotten from salespeople associated with the Chinese welders (3 companies) is that the 3 in one machines have more to go wrong and so are more problematic. They recommended that I get a Plasma cutter and a Tig machine. If one goes down, the other is still there.

I've been using my Everlast machines for almost a year heavily and so far not one problem. My Hobart Handler 210 I've had for two years and it has been flawless also. I only wish that Hobart would build comparable machines in price to Everlast as I would buy from them in an instant.

If you were to ask me about Everlast, I would say that yes, there is the thought that warranty work (5 years which is awesome) is done by sending the unit back where the Lincoln, Hobart or Miller is take it to a dealer for repair. The idea is out there too that Everlast is a newer company and may not be around. In business, there are no guarantees that even Miller or Lincoln will be around. So you take a chance with whatever machine you buy.

Here is the pluses and minuses of Everlast.......

Pluses:
    1. Price.....way less expensive than the comparable Lincoln or Miller.
    2. Technology.....IGBT technology has come a long way and makes for a compact easy to use machine with all the options that anyone could want.
    3. 5 Year warranty.
    4. Excellent technical support. Any questions can be answered by guys who designed the machines (designed by Americans). No talking to some person who just learned to speak English.

Minuses:
    1. No dealer support....not yet in many areas....but Everlast is selling through some Airgas dealerships. I hear repairs will eventually be supported at some Airgas dealerships.
    2. Repair......have to send it back....shipping cost.....not cheap.
    3. Resale value.....to be determined. So far there are very few used Everlast machines available. This will require time to see for sure. Miller's hold their value quite well as does Lincoln.
    4. Being a newer company, they are going through growing pains. Some products are selling so well that they have backorder problems.

I don't work for Everlast, own no stock in the company and get no enumeration for any comments made about Everlast here or anywhere else. I only tell it like it is.

I would buy but get the Powertig 250EX. Stay away from the multi units.
    Last edited by Steve from Ohio; 05-26-2011 at 01:30 AM.
    Cobra 2000 A/O torch ( all USA made)
    Everlast Powertig 250EX (US company, Chinese MFG)
    Everlast Powerplasma 50 (US company, Chinese MFG)
    Hobart Handler 210 (US company, Chinese parts)
    GoWeld portable mig (US company, Chinese parts)
    Evolution rage 2 cold saw (USA company, USA parts)
    various other metal working tools

Steve,
    By your own comparison of "Pluses---Minuses" tells me to "Steer Clear".
    If I buy some thing, I would like to know if problems arise, I can take it to some one logically.
    The USA welders may have foreign parts installed in them But I will stick with them..

Want more reviews, go ask on Welding Web. Those two companies have destroyed their reputations on there. I am not against the machine or the companies for being or not being china made or whatever. I have voiced my opposition to the blatant lies, over hyped sales pitches, unethical business tactics, and general arrogance of users and company reps.

I believe time will tell if the machines are up to the harsh environments true industry leaders find themselves used in. I feel there is a niche for these welders as hobbie welders and limited use commercial related welders. They don't take abuse well. Look how many problems are blamed on shipping. shipping is just one form of abuse. These machines are inteded for mobililty. They are portable welders and as such if they can't travel in a fitted box un harmed then how well do you think they will handle being tossed into a truck here, there, and about. I am not talking about blatant abuse of throwing a machine around, but just think about the average hired hand loading and unloading a portable plasma cutter/welder day afer day in and out of a truck, trailer, back seat, tool box, etc.

Read the claims: This little wire came loose due to shipping. That screw backed out and metal was warped due to shipping. That board was jarred due to shipping. Thos connectors came loose due to shipping.

I have been watching and interacting with owners/customers/employees for several years. Little has changed. They still use the same tired over inflated sales pitches, and they still refuse to understand everytime they get dragged into an online argument they are their own worst enemy.

My 2 cent's worth

I bought a H187, have used it over a year, no problems.
    I wanted to do aluminum, and by the time I would have upgraded the H187 to a spool gun could have almost bought a new 210 with spoolgun included. I ended up buying a Miller M211 with spoolgun. Had it 10 days, and it died - dead. Fortunately bought it from a LWS, who was a service center. Took it in and they repaired it in about 8 days. So, regardless of what someone says, even Hobart/Miller can have problems initially. Stilling using them, only the one problem on the Miller.
    Later I wanted a plasma cutter - I thought I would go with one of the 3 in 1 combo machines. Looking at the cost, and for my usage, I end up buying one of the Chinese welders. It's worked right out of the box, no problems - other than a air leak from the regulator/filter sent with the unit. As a non-technical problem is the unit I received had no manual, so I figured I just send a note to the company and request a new manual.
    Now, I have to say, when I ordered the unit I got response from the company/owner immediately! Wow, great. For the request I sent in for a manual - actually sent 3-maybe 4 emails, I've never gotten a reply from the company. Nothing, zero, zilch. The only service the provide is charging your credit card. Fortunately the model I got is the same as the Everlast, and they provided a link to their manual. So, my expectation is when I do have a problem, I won't get anything. A three year warranty isn't any good if you don't have someone to send it for repair.

Now, I wish I would have gotten a Hobart Plasma cutter, and then looked around for a used TIG machine. While the machine is still working, I feel like I'm living on borrowed time.

By the way, if you want to know what happened to my Miller - Fried the main circuit board and fan circuitry - definitely not a loose wire.

Perpetual, nationwide SPAM adverts in Craigslist made an enemy of me.

They sell nothing I need, and for hobby use I can buy used US-made industrial machines that will last longer, do more, and are well-supported.

I've bagged an ESAB 450i cvcc with Digipulse feeder (and a mound of good air tools with abrasives etc) for 1300, a Miller 340 for 250, and Econotig for 500, and there are plenty more out there.

If I buy new it'll most likely be Miller because of their outstanding customer support and excellent forum community. Hobart rocks too.

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada

Not a fan

Spend some time on the Welding Web forum.
    They have their own areas. Seems to me that the customer is not always right with these guys and rather than make something right it is much more important to get in the last word at all costs.
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Quote Originally Posted by monckywrench View Post
    Perpetual, nationwide SPAM adverts in Craigslist made an enemy of me.

They sell nothing I need, and for hobby use I can buy used US-made industrial machines that will last longer, do more, and are well-supported.

I've bagged an ESAB 450i cvcc with Digipulse feeder (and a mound of good air tools with abrasives etc) for 1300, a Miller 340 for 250, and Econotig for 500, and there are plenty more out there.

If I buy new it'll most likely be Miller because of their outstanding customer support and excellent forum community. Hobart rocks too.
    Yes, I am very happy with my Handler 210 and it has been one great Mig welder. Best Mig machine I've owned so far.

Nationwide advertisements on Craigslist does not bother me. As long as I get a good deal and a machine that works, who cares where they advertise or if they eat worms.

If I can get a machine that does what I want at a decent price reliably, then they have me as a customer.
    Cobra 2000 A/O torch ( all USA made)
    Everlast Powertig 250EX (US company, Chinese MFG)
    Everlast Powerplasma 50 (US company, Chinese MFG)
    Hobart Handler 210 (US company, Chinese parts)
    GoWeld portable mig (US company, Chinese parts)
    Evolution rage 2 cold saw (USA company, USA parts)
    various other metal working tools

There has been a person who had to return one for warranty work. They made him pay shipping. On welding Web, you would have to look and find it as I don't remember on what date it was.

question for steve

Did you buy your Everlast at full price? Did they give them to you for your support? I know Longevity has given "professionals" machines that end up being shown off in you tube clips.
    Last edited by gatemaker; 05-29-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Ornamental fabrication shop worker
    At home...
    2011 Hobart Handler 210MVP, 2013 spoolgun
    homemade 6000watt generator--13hp Honda engine
    miller maxstar 200 stick/TIG

Want to weld or talk about it?

I bought a Longevity mulifunction last spring a LS200PI Longevity (Tig, Stick/Plasma) and researched the idea for several months and spoke with the owner, and got a good deal and in fact spend more time on their forum than any other, and I suggest if you want to speak to people about these machines and what problems you may encounter go to the Longevity forum or free welding forum.This year I got a second identical machine to use in the body shop.
    Their is still a mix of mosfet and IGBT use, and for that matter people cannot decide which can work better, for the most part the reason all mfgs are going IGBT is because they can work if one goes out at partial power, and it requires fewer of them, if you get a working machine to your door, if UPS doesn't destroy it in the delivery, chances are you never have to worry.If it does their is a good warranty, you pay shipping, and they are made to make repairs easy, I know my machines and have serviced one, although the machine is three in one they are easy to distiquish what a component is for.Modern inverters such as the one I have are using ****roft-Walton bridges for power, which is a combination ladder of capacitors and high power transistors instead of the heavy transformers to produce power conditioning.
    The only problem with chinese machines is the stress testing of these individual components, that are a large part of these machines, could put them in fore front if they made the effort to do, but costs would be higher.Some connections could be made better or tighter, but ground and torches are good in fact identical to some Hobart Tig and Plasma.Also their is the turn around time in getting to a dealer and changing out a damage machine IF you are unlucky enough to have a problem.But alot of torch components and plasma cutter components are ubiquitous.They could produce a better manual with schematics in them for future servicing(??).
    I have made changes that are now standard on new machines, quick connections.Would like to go to a flexible head tig torch, and less robush tig torch/line covering because it is a little stiff to use, a longer gound cord and maybe in the future a longer plasma cutter cord.
    I am happy with the advance features that my machines have for their cost but advise you to buy the best you can afford, some of the new domestic machines have amazing features.
    Best

I have heard enough horror stories on welding web to never even consider one of these machines. And you want to look in the "Off Topic" area. In the longevity and neverlast areas, the real bad true stories are removed.

I would consider a harbor freight, if they had something I could use. At least there, you can get an extended warranty, and an exchange unit right now at one of their stores.

When you buy a Miller, Hobart, Lincoln or Esab, you are buying a unit that will probably get passed on to your grandchildren! In the long run, they are much cheaper.
    "Stick-man"
    Miller Shopmaster 300, Super S-32P
    Lincoln
    Commander 500D
    LN-25
    Idealarc 250
    5 Idealarc Tig 300/300's
    Hypertherm Powermax 600