Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

What is this and what is it worth ??

I am about to think strong to buy this and do NOT know what it is worth and what it is.

Do you know.

The only info I have of it is it runs right and is powered with an Onan 16 hp or so..

Here is what he said in ad.
    LINCOLN GAS DC WELDER & GENERATOR AC AUX POWER ONAN CCKA-S/1627 G ENGINE

I have NOT looked at it yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (6.7 KB, 389 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (6.1 KB, 231 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (5.0 KB, 195 views)
    Last edited by onlyonmonday; 11-16-2010 at 05:05 AM. Reason: ad info

search "weldanpower". I believe you'll have some luck.

I wouldn't touch anything with an Onan with a 10' pole.
    They are fine as long as it runs but if the motor needs repairs you better hang on to your wallet on parts.
    The is only an opinion but come from first hand knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    I wouldn't touch anything with an Onan with a 10' pole.
    They are fine as long as it runs but if the motor needs repairs you better hang on to your wallet on parts.
    The is only an opinion but come from first hand knowledge.
    I disagree,, If you want a gas welder i would want a onan. With regular maintenance it will run forever. Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by FabDave View Post
    I disagree,, If you want a gas welder i would want a onan. With regular maintenance it will run forever. Just my 2 cents
    No one said they weren't good engines. However, that's an Onan CCK, more than a couple decades obsolete, and parts have been steadily drying up for some time now. When you can find parts, they're priced as if they're made of 14K gold. I'd pass on that machine, unless it was just so dirt cheap you couldn't help it, in which case I don't think you'd be here asking if you should buy it.

In current and past few years production, I've grown pretty fond of Kohler engines in these machines. Good engines, and parts are available just about anywhere - lawn equipment supply, Home Depot, even Tractor Supply Co.
    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

My machine has a newer Onan 18hp, Cummins support center is fairly local and can get about anything for it (mind you it is MUCH newer than that one) however Cummins is so insane on prices that even the counter guys complain. I found an automotive interchange for the oil filter as they wanted $18 for the $3 filter. Starter solenoid was $90 from them etc. If it dies I will adapt a Honda if I feel the rest of the machine warrants it.

If you are good with that stuff and have time/equipment you almost always can find another way on parts, I found a mitsubishi solenoid for I think a galant that was a direct interchange for like $18 from autozone, I recognized the mitsu tri-trapezoid symbol on the starter body so I had a starting point to go from. turns out they made that starter with different noses for: chrysler, jeep, government motors, Ford, Mazda, Onan and many equipment companies for like 15 - 20 years.

That brings up another question. If your Onan motor conks out, can you fit another motor to the welder? Is the welder connected to the engine with a coupling or is it a straight shaft?

I have a weldon 130 Lincoln welder. The fuel pump broke on the Kohler engine. Parts should come in the mail tomorrow and they weren't that expensive.

D i c k

I believe they use a tapered crank which would make them rather unusual.