Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lincoln Precision TIG 225

Looking to buy a Lincoln Precision 225 TIG, anyone have one?
    Like to find out any info good or bad about this welder.

Thanks
    John

Have a ton of time on the bigger Precision Tig and it welds great.....The smaller output model is most likely the same quality....
    Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
    Hobart Beta Mig 200
    Twenty seven Hammers
    Three Crow Bars
    Two English Springer Dogs

A Big Rock

I have an older 275 Lincoln that I like a lot, got the higher amp model due to all the thicker aluminum I work with. If you do much aluminum I would look into a cooler and watercooled torch. Thought I did not need one and almost melted my air cooled torch and my hand would get really hot during welds.

I got the Lincoln because it was a better deal, the only difference b/w Lincoln and Miller is usually just paint color or some minor difference that does not make much difference.

I have a Precision 225 Welder. I really like it. I have yet to use it to arc weld anything serious.
    My problem is I cannot tig weld steel 3/16 and get enough penetration.
    I have tried all the tricks I know and what others have suggested.
    Anybody out there have any answers?
    Thanks,
    Jack

Wonder if there's something wrong with your welder, or if they just don't have enough punch to weld the 3/16 steel?
    John

What settings do you have your 225 set to when trying to weld 3/16 steel, what tungsten size, filler, gas, etc.

I have one and use it only infrequently.

The machine itself works very well, although the machine is rated at 225 output, the torch is only rated at 150 amps(maybe 180?), so I tend to use the machine near the top end, especially with aluminum. This makes for a pretty hot torch after awhile, and overheating with 3/32" tungstens.(yes, I know, I have to get some 1/8" tungstens, I just never get around to it)

I find that with the thicker stuff, a bigger torch would be well worth the money to purchase, and at the top end, 1/8" tungstens with matching collets/cups are necessary.

it welds aluminum(AC) well with pure tungsten, and I use lanthanated for DC work. I beleive it also works for AC, but I have yet to try that.

I am using Argon, 3/32 Lan. Tungsten, 3/32 filler and have run as high as 220 amps.
    Jack

Jack.

If you can't tig weld 3/16" mild steel with that machine, you're either doing something wrong (technique) or your machine is defective.

You really haven't provided enough information for anyone to be able to help you.

I may suggest that you go to Millerwelds.com and download a copy of their Tig Handbook. Even better, order a copy of their Student Pack. The SP includes a hard copy of the Tig Handbook, a GMAW handbook, a GMAW-P handbook, welding calculators, and a bunch of other goodies. Best $25 you'll ever spend in welding.
    SundownIII

Syncrowave 250DX, Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
    MM 251 w/30 A SG
    HH 187 Mig
    XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Pulser
    Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
    Hypertherm PM 1250 Plasma
    Victor, Harris, and Smith O/A
    PC Dry Cut Saw and (just added) Wilton (7x12) BS
    Mil Mod 6370-21 Metal Cut Saw
    More grinders than hands (Makita & Dewalt)
    Grizzly 6"x48" Belt Sander
    Access to full fab shop w/CNC Plasma & Waterjet
    Gas mixers (Smith(2) and Thermco)
    Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Quote Originally Posted by Jack772 View Post
    I am using Argon, 3/32 Lan. Tungsten, 3/32 filler and have run as high as 220 amps.
    Jack
    Wow 220 is way high enough to weld 3/16....That machine isn't running right?
    Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
    Hobart Beta Mig 200
    Twenty seven Hammers
    Three Crow Bars
    Two English Springer Dogs

A Big Rock

I measured the current with a clamp-on amp meter and it was right on the money.
    I got a good weld on 1/8 stock with no gap, just butted together. It looked like a bead on each side.
    Welding stock that is 1/16 thicker with a 1/16 gap should not be a problem. What is wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack772 View Post
    I measured the current with a clamp-on amp meter and it was right on the money.
    I got a good weld on 1/8 stock with no gap, just butted together. It looked like a bead on each side.
    Welding stock that is 1/16 thicker with a 1/16 gap should not be a problem. What is wrong?
    DC+ or DC- ?

DC- (neg) That's pretty basic.

I have nothing to say but good things about my PT225. I weld 1/4" MS with mine with no problems. But usually over 1/8" I Mig Weld so I have never felt like the machine was too small for me. I did upgrade to a water cooled torch 20, and a ITW cooler. It has a great arc on it, has better arc starts than the miller syncrowave (never used a dynasty, so cant comment on that). O wait, I do have something bad to say about the PT225, it has a cheap ground clamp. There is lots of reviews on this little welder.
    PowerMig 215
    Precision Tig 225
    Old Buzz Box

Hypertherm 600
    HH 125 EZ
    MM 350P
    TB 302 w/ 12RC

Quote Originally Posted by scab View Post
    If you are the type of person who gets upset at things breaking brace yourself for possible dissappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    I have nothing to say but good things about my PT225. I weld 1/4" MS with mine with no problems. But usually over 1/8" I Mig Weld so I have never felt like the machine was too small for me. I did upgrade to a water cooled torch 20, and a ITW cooler. It has a great arc on it, has better arc starts than the miller syncrowave (never used a dynasty, so cant comment on that). O wait, I do have something bad to say about the PT225, it has a cheap ground clamp. There is lots of reviews on this little welder.
    I thought the Miller 200 had really good arc starts too. The two main differences were, the Miller has a very soft buttery AC arc (nice), and the PT-225 is just flat out stronger of the two. Water-cooled for ac operation is a good idea for both machines. It was able to wet out some 3/8 scrap aluminum with the 225. Not a big hunk of it, but it showed me it had some power to it. I heard Lincoln might of overshot the mark on that machine, info from one Lincoln rep. I talked too.