Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Tigwave 250 HF Start Problem

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a Tigwave 250 that I bought new about 15 years ago. It has worked very well for my purposes, but lately the High Frequency Start feature doesnt work. In DC mode I can just barely touch the work and the arc will start and work just fine. In AC mode (HF set on CONTINUOUS) if I just get the electrode really close it will start and work just fine. It used to make noise and light off from up to 3/8 inch (estimate) away from the work piece. Any ideas what might be wrong? I sure liked this feature...

If it has "POINTS" adjust them....Gap is too small or points burnt (Replace)
    Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
    Hobart Beta Mig 200
    Twenty seven Hammers
    Three Crow Bars
    Two English Springer Dogs

A Big Rock

Thank you for the reply. Not sure if it has points. If it does what is their function? Would I still have a nice arc if they are dirty or out of adjustment?

Yep it has points. The owner's manual says they control HF output so I'll take a look at them. Are there capicitors in the machine that need to be discharged after I disconnect it? If so how do I do it?

Shouldn't be a problem with machine shut off of course. Locate points location (most of the time on the front panel) Adjust gap to .013 or so (whatever specs say) leave cover off start machine and depress pedal.....Look at the points and notice blue arc.....At least they are getting current......if you still have NO HIGH FREQ.....I would check the torch cooler fluid for someone using automotive anti-freeze with metal particles in in (Runs High Freq to ground ) Most likely the points...
    Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
    Hobart Beta Mig 200
    Twenty seven Hammers
    Three Crow Bars

A Big Rock

I used to clean the crud off of the points by chucking them one at a time in a drill press and lowering them onto the bed with a piece of 200 grit emery cloth on the bed. You can get by doing this a few times if you have to. Replace them as soon as you can and buy a few extra so you don't get caught short the next time. If you have a lathe you can cut a few thousandths off until you get a clean face.
    Two turn tables and a microphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalydrvr View Post
    Are there capicitors in the machine that need to be discharged after I disconnect it? If so how do I do it?
    Awww...those capacitors don't bite...just stick your hand in there!

Just kidding...I don't know anything about fixing your machine but your question about caps reminded me of a story my Dad told about when he was in the Air Corps in WWII and they put some big charged caps in somebody's bed in the barracks..."It really made a loud SNAP!" he said...LOL
    Last edited by Krunch; 08-27-2010 at 06:37 AM.

LMAO I can just see that too.....

Dynasty 350
    Hobart Beta Mig 200
    Twenty seven Hammers
    Three Crow Bars

A Big Rock

The last time i checked (about a year ago with Thermal Arc) new points, they call it a spark gap assembly P/N369286-1 was still available but if the problem is in your HF assembly transformer P/N 493811-2 you will be out of luck.

When i called to check on the points i also asked them about the HF assembly and they told me they had no stock and have no plans on getting any more in stock. They said the best thing to do was call around to local weld repair shops and see if they might have a NOS one sitting on a shelf or look for a good used one.

One thing i find funny is in the owners manual it tells you to resurface the point gap faces as necessary to get an accurate gap but then a few lines later in the same manual it says DO NOT file or dress the points of the spark gap assembly? Say what????? Then it goes on to say that the points should be replaced when the tungsten section has completely disappeared from the points face. Thermal Arc told me that they DO NOT sell just the points by them selfs, that if you need a set of points you have to buy the whole spark gap assembly to get them.
    Last edited by sunpeople; 08-31-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    Hobart Tigwave 250
    Hobart Pulser
    Hobart Tig Cooler
    9X42 Bridgeport
    14X40 Engine Lathe
    Darex Tool Grinders
    Hor.&Ver. Bandsaws
    Boyar Schultz 6X12 Surface Grinder
    Never Forget Our Freedom is not free! Thank you to all of the serviceman and woman in harms way overseas because without them we would have no freedom! God Bless The USA!