Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Weld Stainless to Carbon Steel?

Hello,

I am working on a Mauser rifle and at the point where I will be cutting off the old bolt handle and replacing it with a 'butterknife' style handle.

My question: Can I get away with making the new bolt handle out of stainless steel ( since it will be handled so much ) and TIG weld the stainless handle to the carbon steel bolt?

If so, any words of wisdom on making it all go smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Kind regards, Salvo

You can weld stainless to carbon steel. What alloy will you be using for the handle?

Couple pointers:

"Although a standard 308 type filler can be used for joining a 304 type stainless steel to carbon steel, more highly alloyed fillers, such as the 309 type (23 12L to BS EN 12072) are preferable. This is should help avoid cracking in the weld dilution zone that can be a problem if a 308 type (19 9L to BS EN 12072) filler is used, where there can be too low a ferrite level and martensite may also be formed on cooling."

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...nlesssteel.asp

EDIT: Don't get the body of the bolt heated too much! http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=177300

If high carbon steel, see about 1/3 of the way down here:

http://www.weldreality.com/stainlesswelddata.htm
    Last edited by usmcpop; 07-17-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------
    DialArc 250 (1974)
    Idealarc 250-250 (1971)
    SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3
    SP-175+
    TA 161STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952)
    Victor & Smith's O/A
    Dayton (Miller) spot welder
    1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap
    A kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Quote Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
    Hello,

I am working on a Mauser rifle and at the point where I will be cutting off the old bolt handle and replacing it with a 'butterknife' style handle.

My question: Can I get away with making the new bolt handle out of stainless steel ( since it will be handled so much ) and TIG weld the stainless handle to the carbon steel bolt?

If so, any words of wisdom on making it all go smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    First butter the carbon steel i.e. lay a couple of beads of stainless filler, then weld the stainless bolt to the stainless beads.
    It will still crack over time more than likely just takes longer, it will crack under the buttered beads.
    Sincerely,
    Kent

309 is used for welding steel to stainless steel.

Very common.

The old system was to weld 310 as a buttering pass then cover with 312 but then the 309 was developed and saved lots of time and money.
    That old system was used to clad interiors of tanks with stainless on a steel tank.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 03-23-2011 at 10:12 PM.