Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Good Deal on HH210 w/ Spoolgun?

I've been browsing prices for a Hobart 210. I find that Northern Tool (thru E-Bay) has a HH210 MIG unit with a Hobart 10 foot (DP-3035????) spoolgun for $899. That's only $70 above the best price I've found (Amazon) for the welder w/o gun.

Other than the fact that it only has a 10 foot cable, is there any other reason NOT to grab this deal from Northern Tool and call it a bargain?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate the info I've gotten from this site in the short time I've been here.

FiremanBill

I don't understand why Hobart puts such a short lead on that...a Spool gun handles the wire, so only a gas line and wires reside inside, right? 20 foot would make a lot more sense, it seems!
    Last edited by Hotfoot; 02-05-2010 at 11:27 PM.
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Fab a new 20 foot line?

Gee, I'm wondering now - if the 10 foot cable only carries currrent and gas, why can't I fab a new 20' line???

Roger Guest
    I've seen MIG gun extensions in Miller Catalogue.
    Just down loaded PDF 2010 Miller Catalogue.
    Page 91 has Spoolmate 3035 Extension kit 194 996 extends hose and cables 25ft from Spoolmate to power source.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I've seen MIG gun extensions in Miller Catalogue.
    Just down loaded PDF 2010 Miller Catalogue.
    Page 91 has Spoolmate 3035 Extension kit 194 996 extends hose and cables 25ft from Spoolmate to power source.
    Thanks, Roger.
    I will download and have a look at it. Looks like the Northern Tool $899 deal is the one for me.

The DP 3035 is available in either the 10' or 20' weld cable length.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/product...lguns/dp-3035/

The package deal with the Handler 210 uses the 10 foot spool gun. If a 20 foot cable is desired, buy the Handler 210 and the DP 3035-20.

Hobart 210 from Northern tool

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman Bill View Post
    I've been browsing prices for a Hobart 210. I find that Northern Tool (thru E-Bay) has a HH210 MIG unit with a Hobart 10 foot (DP-3035????) spoolgun for $899. That's only $70 above the best price I've found (Amazon) for the welder w/o gun.

Other than the fact that it only has a 10 foot cable, is there any other reason NOT to grab this deal from Northern Tool and call it a bargain?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate the info I've gotten from this site in the short time I've been here.

FiremanBill
    I just bought the hobart 210 with the spoolgun for $899. free ship through Ebay from Northern tool. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobart-Handl...#ht_2086wt_952 What a super deal I looked for a solid month this is the best deal out there and I got Ebay bucks back from ebay for buying it too something like $18.00 back. Got the unit in two or maybe 3 working days shipped to my back door. I want to make the gun longer. looking at buying a custom made gun runs .045 wire at 20 foot long gun http://www.ebay.com/itm/370468953857...ht_2868wt_1139 I wrote the guy and he said the longest I could go is 20 foot. But it could (MIGHT) cause some bird nesting. But my drive wheel says .035 So I'm not sure I can go up to .045 may have to order it .035???

Quote Originally Posted by bruce0777 View Post
    I just bought the hobart 210 with the spoolgun for $899. free ship through Ebay from Northern tool. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobart-Handl...#ht_2086wt_952 What a super deal I looked for a solid month this is the best deal out there and I got Ebay bucks back from ebay for buying it too something like $18.00 back. Got the unit in two or maybe 3 working days shipped to my back door. I want to make the gun longer. looking at buying a custom made gun runs .045 wire at 20 foot long gun http://www.ebay.com/itm/370468953857...ht_2868wt_1139 I wrote the guy and he said the longest I could go is 20 foot. But it could (MIGHT) cause some bird nesting. But my drive wheel says .035 So I'm not sure I can go up to .045 may have to order it .035???
    I guarantee you there is no way that Hobart is going to recommend setting the Handler 210 up with a 20 ft gun lead. The Handler units have a small wire drive motor a 20 ft lead is going place a lot of strain on this small motor and I suspect also on the components in the circuitry supplying power to the motor.

Also the wire drive is a single driven roll design, so I suspect there would be a lot of slipping of the wire trying to push it through 20 ft of liner.

Increasing the gun length to 12' would probably be more realistic.

Running beyond the supplied 10' gun length may void the warranty. A 20' gun length would most definitely.
    Last edited by Dan; 10-04-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

MM 210-Looking for a new home locally
    PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Roger Guest
    If your thinking about using longer MIG gun lead call Hobart help line number or maybe Hobart expert will will post here before trying it. I don't think the drive system is strong enough to handle pushing wire further. Maybe mechanical parts fail, motor or electronic speed control. No problem using spool gun with longer lead.

I don't get it, but I'm not building bridges or building with my welder. For jobs on a table top, with the welder and gas bottle on a cart, the 10 foot lead is more than enough. Actually almost too much; when I place the welder close by to be able to reach it for fine tuning I have to be careful to route the lead around behind me to avoid sharp bends or kinking.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

The 10 foot standard gun is the longest recommended gun for the HH210. Anything longer will exhibit feeding problems and cause high motor currents which will cause the board to trip the motor overcurrent thus making the unit shutdown until the power switch is reset. The spool gun can have a 20 foot lead but not the H14 or H100S4 gun.

Keith

longer gun

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I guarantee you there is no way that Hobart is going to recommend setting the Handler 210 up with a 20 ft gun lead. The Handler units have a small wire drive motor a 20 ft lead is going place a lot of strain on this small motor and I suspect also on the components in the circuitry supplying power to the motor.

Also the wire drive is a single driven roll design, so I suspect there would be a lot of slipping of the wire trying to push it through 20 ft of liner.

Increasing the gun length to 12' would probably be more realistic.

Running beyond the supplied 10' gun length may void the warranty. A 20' gun length would most definitely.
    Yes I agree 100% with NOT attempting to go to 20 foot it would be to much to expect the motor drive to push through the liner. After I posted it I thought more about it and decided to not venture going any longer. I am solid welding the inside of metal tanks. 7 foot tall and 14 long. I sure enjoy this forum and you guys. When you list your hobby do you put down welding as I do?