Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question on these Lincolns

Looking at these two model migs, and can someone tell me the difference
    between them, if any other than the name and number..
    Weld Pak 140 HD, #K-2514-1

Pro Mig 140, #2480-1
    Both are Lincolns, and have the same specifications.. One is sold at Home Depot, and the other at Lowes Home Improvement. Are they inferior to the
    Lincolns sold at Welders Supply Shops, etc.?
    Thanks,
    "It ain't over till its over!"

---------------------------
    HAMMER
    HACKSAW
    VICE
    DRILL
    FORGE
    TONGS
    FILE

Roger Guest
    Lincoln for years have sold same welder with different model numbers in welding stores, and other stores. If you down load manuals all part numbers are the same. Go to their web site, down load manuals and check for differences. Maybe one includes a cart and the other doesn't. Maybe the retailers want different model numbers.

You could just call Lincoln ask them.

As far as I know they are the same machine down the same line with different jackets on it. They had to create a set of model numbers outside the dealer system.

I just picked up brand new in the box Lincoln Weld Pak 140HD from Craig's list- the factory seal was still on it. Got a great deal. I also tried to find out what the HD stood for. I know there's a 140T and a 140C, which stands either for Tap (I think) or Continuous. They seem to be more expensive than the HD but not sure of the benefits. I'm a complete newb so I'm not fretting the nuances just want to get into a great hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by tcfeet View Post
    Are they inferior to the
    Lincolns sold at Welders Supply Shops, etc.?
    Thanks,
    Yes and No.

Those 2 models are exactly the same machine, as mentioned, and the same as the SP140T sold at Local Welding Supply Shops.

They are Tapped Voltage selection machines

Now there is a 140C model sold at the LWS that is a more robust machine and Continuous Voltage selection- the price reflects the difference.

back to the 2 you mentioned- buy either one.
    Ed Conley
    Screaming Broccoli, Inc
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
    TA185
    SO 2020 Bender
    Miller 125c Plasma
    "Hold my beer while I try this!"

The price difference between the tapped and continuous models has been around $90-$100. from what I've seen. Other than the variable voltage, I've heard that the wire feeder mechanisms (T vs. C) are a bit different, but I can't confirm that.

Here: $512. vs. $602. :

https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...DEF:OR:K2471-1
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------
    DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Both Lowes and Home Depot have a 10% discount if you find the IDENTICAL item for less at the other's store. By having different part numbers on the same machine technically they are not identical. I'll put my tin-foil hat back on now.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Both Lowes and Home Depot have a 10% discount if you find the IDENTICAL item for less at the other's store. ...
    Old Jedi mind-trick. Reminds me of the kid in college who would sell you a glass fish tank, complete with cover, air filter and gravel for $10. Peanut butter jar with holes poked in the lid and a handful of gravel from the side of the road...

DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

According to the Lincoln Website they are all indeed the same except for the color of the faceplate, SP- Black, Weldpak- Red, Pro-Mig- Grey. Personally I think the black looks the nicest
    Specs are here
    http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...t.aspx?p=59618
    http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...t.aspx?p=59615
    http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...t.aspx?p=48148

If there is any advantge in price from one to the other I would go that way. There are some recon units of the SP series around, it may be worth a quick phone call to your local welding supply.

If you are welding pipe in the counter-clockwise direction, I'd definitely go for the one that has the NASCAR sticker on it.

Roger Guest
    T & C models differ.
    T= tap Voltage control,
    C and old + models = Continuance Voltage control.

Talked to a Lincoln rep today. He told me these two units
    were "made" or assembled overseas in Italy or China. The "SP"
    models are built in the USA.
    Don't believe I will buy one if its built in China.............
    "It ain't over till its over!"

---------------------------
    HAMMER
    HACKSAW
    VICE
    DRILL
    FORGE
    TONGS
    FILE

I know for a fact the ones you buy in Lowes or HD are different from the ones you buy from LWS. I really dont know what parts make them different, if it is how they are built, or if one has Cu in it, and another has Al in it, or what. But I do know they have different parts. The reason I know this is last week I was in the LWS and a guy came in and said he had a Lincoln 140 Mig welder from Home Depot and he needed a new drive motor. The counter guy said Ill need the model number of the welder because welder from HD are different than from the LWS. The guy argued that it was the same Lincoln 140 welder as the one sitting on the showroom floor. LWS said no it wasn't and it made the guy made. He paid cash upfront for a drive roll motor, and LWS ordered a motor for the Lincoln 140 mig sitting there on the floor.
    I was in the LWS yesterday and the guys new drive motor was sitting on the counter. I asked about it and he said the guy came in and picked it up on Monday and returned it on Tuesday because it would bolt in his Lincoln 140 mig he got from HD.
    I just shook my head.
    PowerMig 215
    Precision Tig 225
    Old Buzz Box

Hypertherm 600
    HH 125 EZ
    MM 350P
    TB 302 w/ 12RC

Quote Originally Posted by scab View Post
    If you are the type of person who gets upset at things breaking brace yourself for possible dissappointment.

Anyone wanna lay some hard cash on those statements?

ACE- the only LWS models that are different are the C models, The LWS SP T models are the same machines as the Home Depot, Lowes & Sears

Hecho en Mexico

Now the guy at the LWS may have looked at a C model on the Floor and assumed he had the same machine since they look almost identical.
    Ed Conley
    Screaming Broccoli, Inc
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
    TA185
    SO 2020 Bender
    Miller 125c Plasma
    "Hold my beer while I try this!"

What? No takers on the bet?
    Ed Conley