Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Warning TSC gas

I been busy and haven't had time to do a follow up post. Basically, I cant get a receipt from TSC. Customer service wants the day and time of the purchase, which I don't have. It basically boils down to sorry customer service. Instead of arguing and complaing to or about TSC, where I can tell nothing would get done from it, I am going to basically drop the issue. I am done with TSC, Ill just shop at Atwood's from now on. At least, Atwood's has people in there that you can find, TSC only has 3 people working for them at any given time (one on the cash register, one in the store hiding from the customers, and someone in the back).
    The reason I am dropping the issue is because I have acquired a receipt. Thanks Ed. The LWS will now fill the bottles no problem since I have a "receipt"
    So beware if you get bottles from TSC.
    PowerMig 215
    Precision Tig 225
    Old Buzz Box

Hypertherm 600
    HH 125 EZ
    MM 350P
    TB 302 w/ 12RC

Quote Originally Posted by scab View Post
    If you are the type of person who gets upset at things breaking brace yourself for possible dissappointment.

Ace I was thinking of buying a bottle at TSC, but thanks to you I will get one at Praxair which used to be Mittler Bros. They are about a ten minute ride from the house.

Willy

This is just a FYI.
    Cost to fill 251 cf oxy bottle at TSC $34 plus tax.
    Cost to fill same 251 bottle at LWS that I shop at is $11.
    The cheapest LWS for a 251cf fill around here is $9 plus tax.
    PowerMig 215
    Precision Tig 225
    Old Buzz Box

Hypertherm 600
    HH 125 EZ
    MM 350P
    TB 302 w/ 12RC

Quote Originally Posted by scab View Post
    If you are the type of person who gets upset at things breaking brace yourself for possible dissappointment.

Better watch them Mittler people......they are pretty shady

I had TSC bottles for about a year. Originally bought supply house bottles, oxy/acet. Swapped at TSC one day cause convenient, open on Sunday for exchange.

After a year I watched the price go up. One day I filled the bottles at TSC and walked out mumbling WTF?? Called guys at supply house, their price to fill the bottles.....less than half. Used up the gas, took blue bottles in and exchanged them and never went back to TSC.

I've heard from the supply house that there bottles(Thoroughbred) are not tested, made in China? Have had failures?? I'm not sure how true these claims are but hearing stuff like that puts the question in your mind and choosing between a questionalble company or reliable supply house that tests tanks everytime they come in the door, not a hard choice.

Thumbs up TSC Gas

Thanks for posting this. I thought about buying a set of GasPony Cylinders from my local TSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumminsguy71 View Post

I've heard from the supply house that there bottles(Thoroughbred) are not tested, made in China? Have had failures?? I'm not sure how true these claims are but hearing stuff like that puts the question in your mind and choosing between a questionalble company or reliable supply house that tests tanks everytime they come in the door, not a hard choice.
    This is wholly untrue....yet another reason to not listen to counter guys. Scott-Gross Co is the one that handles the Thoroughbred cylinders and they are tested and stamped. All of the ones I bought had multiple stamps on them except for the brand new one. The blue cylinders are no different than any other cylinder...except in price.
    Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Like I said, was not sure how true the claims were but dealin with the same supply house since 1998 and same guys working there. Either way, oxy/acet bottles, little 80's cost me somewhere around $70 to fill at TSC, at the supply house, $30-40? Think it was nearly $40 for the acet alone at tsc.

Guys at the supply house have taken very good care of me. Plus we usually have some pretty good conversations. If I can get out of there in under 20 minutes something must have happened...fire, explosion.....
    Last edited by Cumminsguy71; 07-04-2009 at 05:26 PM.
    It ain't easy starting something with nothing but I sure prefer that over working for someone else!

I got my 330 cu.ft. argon from Thoroughbred (but not through TSC) after dealing with Airgas. I got my 330 filled for $10 more from Thoroughbred than A$$gas wanted for an 80 cu. ft.

Cylinders are handled and tested just as any other cylinder at any LWS in the country. Same gas goes in the same way as any other. Outfit that fills them here is a large welding supplier that has had a good reputation for longer than I've been around.

TSC may be a pain to deal with but I am happy with the place where I get my Thoroughbred bottles (argon and oxygen).
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union.

treborly Guest
    i bought my 125cf cylinder from tsc a few years back, i havn't gone back for a refill yet. But i dont have any reciet. So i`m going to have a problem refilling?

also, should i eventually get my cylinder tested ? i`ve had it for 2 years so far, probly go for another 2-3 before a refill.
    Last edited by treborly; 07-07-2009 at 06:39 PM.

If it's the blue bottle you should be able to just go to tsc and tell them you need to exchange your tank. I never had to show a receipt to swap tanks. They'll give you another and you'll be on your way.

don't know about the testing part. Mine are not around long enough before they get used up and swapped so keeping the same tank in the shop for several years and what kind of concerns there would be about testing I cannot help you with.
    It ain't easy starting something with nothing but I sure prefer that over working for someone else!

treborly Guest
    If it's the blue bottle you should be able to just go to tsc and tell them you need to exchange your tank. I never had to show a receipt to swap tanks. They'll give you another and you'll be on your way.

don't know about the testing part. Mine are not around long enough before they get used up and swapped so keeping the same tank in the shop for several years and what kind of concerns there would be about testing I cannot help you with.
    its not blue... its red... The guy didnt really know much about the tanks, he wasnt even sure what gas it was ..

maybe thats why my welder been acting funny, wrong gas.
    Last edited by treborly; 07-14-2009 at 10:39 PM.

Get them refilled, get a receipt. Wouldn't that mean ownership? Next time call around to LWS ang get prices.
    Retired...
    Master Electrician
    Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
    Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
    Miller MultiMatic 200
    EMCO Maximat - Super 11 Lathe
    Grizzly X3 Mill

well since you have a computer, just make yourself a reciept. Scan in another one then modify it to include your bottles. It's been done before.