Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Electric Cord Types SO/SJ?

I did some Google searching but I've run out of patience. What exactly is the difference between SO and SJ cord?

SJ CORD DESCRIPTION:
    Stranded bare copper conductor, seperator, SBR Rubber or EPR insulation, suitable fillers, separator, thermoset jacket. -40C to +60C

SJ CORD APPLICATIONS:
    SJ Cord is designed for use in portable tools and equipment, portable appliances, small motors and associated machinery.

SJ CORD FEATURES:
    SJ Cord features good flexibility in low temperatures and SJ Cord is suitable for use in conditions where the cord is not subject to acid, grease, oil, or solvents.

SO CORD and SOW CABLE DESCRIPTION:
    SO Cord and SOW Cable feature stranded bare copper conductor, separator, CPE Rubber or EPR insulation, suitable fillers, separator and CPE jacket. SO Cord and SOW Cable have a temperature range of -40C to + 60C.

SO CORD and SOW CABLE APPLICATIONS:
    SO Cord and SOW Cable are designed for use in portable tools and equipment. SO Cord and SOW Cable may also be used for portable appliances, small motors and associated machinery.

SO CORD and SOW CABLE FEATURES:
    SO Cord and SOW Cable feature excellent resistance to oil and moisture, good tensile strength, elongation and aging characteristics, high flexibility, excellent abrasion resistance. SOW Cable and SO Cord are water resistant, UL listed and CSA certified for indoor and outdoor use.
    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

SJ is rated for 300 Volts

SO is rated for 600 Volts.

Quote Originally Posted by BMB View Post
    SJ is rated for 300 Volts

SO is rated for 600 Volts.
    That's really meaningless. In a shop/garage environment, junior vs. hard service is seldom, if ever, an issue.

In any case, who gots a 600V service?

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    MM 210 w/3035, BWE
    HH 210 w/DP 3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
    Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

The most important distinction I see off the bat from the information I posted is "SJ Cord is suitable for use in conditions where the cord is not subject to acid, grease, oil, or solvents." That IS important in a garage environment.
    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Thanks for the info.

I was buying some cord to setup a generator cord to hook up my new transfer switch. The factory cable with the generator (with the break out of 120 outlets) was SJ. I wanted 10-4 because I have a 30 amp rated switch but they were out. I only have a 20 amp rated generator (L14-20 outlet) so I ended up getting 12-4 so I could finish it up. I installed NM 10-3 with ground from the panel to the generator receptacle, so that's all kosher if/went I get a larger unit.

Funny part was the power came back on last night. They had been saying it would be Saturday so it was a pleasant surprise.

Just so ya have a Bookmark if ya need it later

http://www.interpower.com/ic/NA_Cable_Types.asp
    Ed Conley
    Screaming Broccoli, Inc
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
    TA185
    SO 2020 Bender
    Miller 125c Plasma
    "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zrexxer View Post
    The most important distinction I see off the bat from the information I posted is "SJ Cord is suitable for use in conditions where the cord is not subject to acid, grease, oil, or solvents." That IS important in a garage environment.
    Yeah, but my old 10-3 100 foot SJ has been in a "garage" for all of its ten year life, and shows no degradation from getting dunked with acetone and engine oil and muriatic acid. It all depends on how severe the exposure is, I guess.

If I was running a plating shop, I'd be more concerned, probably.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    MM 210 w/3035, BWE
    HH 210 w/DP 3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
    Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Certainly at home most there are not service above 300V but in industrial there may be, then SO is needed.

That's really meaningless
    But it is a difference and when I was in electrical sales it was good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by hankj View Post
    That's really meaningless. In a shop/garage environment, junior vs. hard service is seldom, if ever, an issue.

In any case, who gots a 600V service?

Hank
    Not meaningless for me my work shop is wired for 600v 3 phase. I will have to check the temporary cord I am powering saws up with to make sure it is SO I guess.

I thought SJ used a copper clad stranded steel wires? Or is there a similar cord with similar designation? Somebody help me! Uncrichie.