Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Fan failure on EZ 125

I bought a ez 125 on 12/27/07 and only did a couple beads to check it out after I bought it to try it out. I am a carperter and really don't have a reason to own a welder other to make up some brackets or fix a garden tractor and what not.
    Well this weekend I actually had a little project to do.....long story short...I put about 35-40 minutes on it and I heard a clunck and then it didn't sound right so I stopped and got out the manual.
    I thought I over heated so I let it sit, and sit ,and sit, tried the overload. Nothing.
    Come to find out when I took the the outer shell off it, the fan itself had actual come off the shaft that it is supposed to be on. When I put it back on I noticed it was split so it came right back off when I started it again.....
    Questions:
    Has anyone else had this happen?
    Should I drill it and pin it so the new one don't do the same thing or will this f- up the ballance?
    Where can I get the part?....I figure it's only a $5.00 part, nylon...but I don't like putting my credit card info on the web.

Another question???? Does a welder have any kind of compasitor in it that holds a charge in it after you unplug it like a TV ?

Thank for any input guys.

Funny sidenote......I forgot all about getting "sunburn" from a welder....I work outside year round so I'm nicely tanned now with a bright red chest!

EXACT same thing happened to me. Keith at Hobart sent me a new fan for it. See my thread at http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=29936 though for a possible temporary fix until you get the new one.
    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Yeah, I remember that one...Hobart tech support is the best there is...they'll fix you up in a jiffy!
    Arcin' and sparkin', Rocky D <><
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER...
    IF YOU'RE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!

Hobart will definitely fix you up. But if you're in a hurry, just about any appliance parts store will have a fan of the right size and for that shaft, just verify the rotation, too.

Talking

If he puts the fan on backwards will the machine make cold instead of heat?

No, but it has to be reversed if he brings it to the southern hemisphere...

Smile

Thanks guys...I called today and they are sending me a replacement.
    Nobody answered my other question though, Is a welder completely dead once you unplug it?

By the way, those last two post were real helpful!

Yes, its completely dead.
    HH125ez
    Airforce250ci
    AC BuzzBox

Always give a machine at least 15 minutes if you don't know whether you are dealing with caps or not.