Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trash Can Hauler

Some pics.

I know.... what the ****? LOL.

It's off the ground about six inches in the pic, but the lack of shadow makes it hard to see that.

I got a pretty long driveway and wanted to fab something to drive the can down or up the hill. (This will be nice during rain season.) I may change the way it grabs the top of the can. Perhaps something I could bump that will make the catch fall in automatically.

Very nice, and quite an interesting concept.
    Hobart StickmateŽ LX 235 AC / 160 DC

Lincoln Weld-Pak HD

Campbell Hausfeld 110v Stick

My Welding Picture Album

Pretty slick

Jim
    IN GOD WE TRUST!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, Baffle them with bull$***.

AMERICA-LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

Of course, it's not nearly as much fun, but what everyone around here does is just have about a six inch loop of rope around the garbage can handle, then you tip the can back on its wheels and loop the rope over your hitch ball to tow the cart down the driveway. Low tech and effective
    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Why not lift it the way the trash company does? Hook the bar like you did, but support it below instead of trying to pull on the top like that. I would expect over time, for the top edge to deform or tear with a full load.

Dave
    Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Red (not lincoln) inverter TIG/Stick
    MM180
    SP125+

Thanks for your responses. I had been thinking about this for a while and had several designs in mind. Now whether I chose the right one or not?- lol. First and foremost, it's definitely custom for the front my Heep. At first I considered running something off the hitch, (someone on the net sells that design also) but I'd have to have a 20" extension to miss the spare, plus I'd have to install and remove it every time. I also wanted to make it usable for my wife, kids etc., so it had to be as light as it could be, no moving parts, for the most part, to pinch fingers etc....

Now if I had a hitch four feet up, I'd consider Zrexxer's method. Simpler is better.

whateg0, I believe I thought about that method at some point but probably forgot about it also. Hmmmm. The hitch design seems close to that. It's hinged at the bottom with an arm that points up. Also with that method, I'd have to have a support about three feet long to get the hinge low enough.

The goal was to roll it in place, which means it's tilted back and then pushed forward, which lifts it off the ground. I do believe I chose the wrong method to latch the top, and will make "something" that when bumped will cause it to fall into place- the lid will have to be open at that point. I agree that the top could deform, although I don't weigh the cans down as much as I used to, so I'll widen the inside portion a bit and spread out the load. By the way, I seem to usually find the long route to a solution (I'm used to it now- lol)... if any of you have a clean and simple design you think will do the trick with my Heep, post it. I'll post a pic after I modify the top of it- that is if it functions well! ha. Thanks again- Doug
    Last edited by desert4wd; 08-14-2008 at 06:27 PM.

great idea. I almost with I lived somewhere I would need one.

Bandsawguy. I dunno. Just make sure you have the energy and the hill isn't too steep! I just have a couple acres, but it's filled with tall pine trees. They're always shedding something!

clean and simple... How 'bout a snowplow with the blade replaced with a hook? Nobody has to lift anything now. Sorry. I know about taking the long way to get somewhere. Just look at my shop. A 3/8" bolt would work for something, but I find a way to make some self-latching, quick-release deal, just because it's gizmo-ie.

Looking forward to pics of the final draft.

Dave
    Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Red (not lincoln) inverter TIG/Stick
    MM180
    SP125+

Pretty cool....
    Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
    Hobart Beta Mig 200
    Twenty seven Hammers
    Three Crow Bars
    Two English Springer Dogs

A Big Rock

Well, I think I have what I need with this. It's a little more gangly now but seems to function well and doesn't weigh that much. The top catch, which is hinged is now fixed to the rest of the unit but the bottom is still adjustable. The top has two channels now, the inner one for the regular trash can and the outer one for the recycling. Had to add the extension because the recycling can is simply built different. I still have to clean things up and paint it. I think what I like best, is that the carrier isn't attached to the Jeep and isn't a hassle to put on.

Last edited by desert4wd; 08-19-2008 at 07:36 PM.

And the best part about putting it on the front is you can't forget about it being there when you get to the end of the drive way. I say this because I would lay the container over the ball of my truck and drop it off at the end of the drive for the garbage guys. That is until one morning I forgot about it being there and drove all the way to work with it laying on the ball of my truck. Couldn't figure out why people were looking at me funny going down the road. Pulled up at work and there it was. The rubber around the outside of the tires had melted off and the plastic in the center axle had melted but it made it all the way to work...probably about 5 miles. Hmm maybe I shouldn't be bringing this up.

That's funny, it paints an interesting picture!- lol. Dang, five miles is pretty good- My luck it would have tipped... On the Jeep, the cans look fairly large, especially looking out the windshield. I could easily see forgetting about the carrier though- out of sight, out of mind.

Trash Can Hauler

There is a very simple way to transport your garbage carts without having to fabricate something. The Cansporter Waste Cart Carrier available at www.cansporter.com is a hitch mounted carrier that easily lifts and secures carts for transport. The carts are suspended above the ground so you are not towing the cart on its wheels. This allows you to be able to back up or travel on uneven surfaces. The carrier is also low profile so it does not restrict access to your rear cargo door or tailgate so it can be left on your vehicle at all times. Check it out. It really makes the task of taking out the trash simple.

I assume that's you in the video? Don't take this wrong, but sometimes it's nice to introduce yourself and bs a little here prior to hawking your wares. You do have a nice setup for the cans though.
    Jim

Miller MM 210
    Miller Dialarc 250P
    Airco 225 engine driven
    Victor O/A
    Lots of other tools and always wanting more