Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Welding Hat Pattern

Where do you all get welding cap patterns? My mother's willing to make me some but I need a pattern. I want a low profile cap.

I think the question to be more suitably asked on one of the Sewing room forums.
    That said:
    http://www.paragonpatterns.com/weldingCaps.html
    http://www.blueroseweb.com/welding_cap_patterns.php

Sorry there gatkeper kinda figured welding forum/saftey gear= welding hats...

Anyways thanks for the links...

Get a welding cap. Get a seam ripper, a little tool available in sewing departments. Take the cap apart by removing the stitches. Copy, scale to size, sew.

Folks that are good at sewing do this. My wife can look at a picture of a dress and make a pattern from scratch. Any size you want. Pretty amazing. A buddy and I took a sewing class in Home Economics in high school, but that was just to get more time with the gals. Whatever works.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------
    DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

welding hat

Go to Tractor Supply and buy one -- they're like $6. By the time you buy a hat, take the time to take it apart and get material to make one, you'll have spent enough to buy a dozen. Just my 2 cents worth though. If you really want to do it, use the advice about taking one apart. Good Luck
    Jim Don

I have one already but after I washed it it shrunk. My moms good at that stuff but she said she would rather make one from a pattern but ill see if she'll just take the one apart and go off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcpop View Post
    Get a welding cap. Get a seam ripper, a little tool available in sewing departments. Take the cap apart by removing the stitches. Copy, scale to size, sew.

Folks that are good at sewing do this. My wife can look at a picture of a dress and make a pattern from scratch. Any size you want. Pretty amazing. A buddy and I took a sewing class in Home Economics in high school, but that was just to get more time with the gals. Whatever works.
    More time with the girls???? So now you say you sew your own welding hats?

A simple inexpensive flame retardant beanie for $1.85 from the Miller Company Store
    http://www.millerweldsstore.com/gues...age=1&subcat=1

PM me with your email address and I'll scan what I have and send it to you. And to those who say "just buy one", what are you guys thinking. Sure it's less expensive, but you can't necessarily have the fabric designs that you want. It's like the old Ford that came in any color you'd want as long as it was black.

Dave
    Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Red (not lincoln) inverter TIG/Stick
    MM180
    SP125+

Quote Originally Posted by whateg0 View Post
    It's like the old Ford that came in any color you'd want as long as it was black.

Dave
    Actually the Model T was available in Blue, Black,Green and Red.
    With the advent of the assembly line from, IIRC, 1918-1925 black was chosen to speed production and decrease costs

Sure you can sew your own but what about the flame retardant property of good old Cotton?
    Not really very good, I'll take a store bought flame resistant one. Safety first.
    Last edited by gatkeper1; 12-11-2007 at 12:42 AM.

Here's some free software to make patterns. Don't know if they have a suitable cap pattern or not: http://www.wildginger.com/products/wildthings.htm

(Zobman, the school had separate classes for boys and girls, for the most part.)
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------
    DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

PM sent whateg0.

Sewing is just fabrication with different materials.

A sewing machine is after all just a machine.

Yes I can sew. Not as well as the wife, but I can repair my own stuff if she is pi$$ed at me.
    Robert

Snap-on (Century) 110 Mig
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    Makita 4" Grinder
    Quite a collection of scrap

Functional Stuff is painted, my art rusts.

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes. - Winston Chruchill

Quote Originally Posted by usmcpop View Post
    My wife can look at a picture of a dress and make a pattern from scratch. Any size you want. Pretty amazing.
    I might be interested in a light summer frock.....? If I sent a picture of what I'm thinking of, could she have it for me by spring?

...I'd be willing to pay! You don't know how hard it is to shop for dresses nowadays....

I NEED MORE COWBELL!!!

'Red' Powcon 300ST (no torch yet)
    (ok, not really a 'Red'... )
    'Blue' Miller 35 (older than me and runs great), Thunderbolt AC arc (ditto)
    'Craftsman' AC arc (who made this originally?)
    O/A x 2 (both smaller than I'd like)
    14" Milwaukee chopper
    20t HF press (crap, but works)
    Buffalo forge w/ blower
    Alot of pumps!

"All of us know more than any of us."- TexHand

Do me one favor Creep, Don't post pictures.
    Robert

Snap-on (Century) 110 Mig
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    Makita 4" Grinder
    Quite a collection of scrap

Functional Stuff is painted, my art rusts.

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes. - Winston Chruchill