Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ripped off at Airgas

Ran out of 75/25 for my mig Thursday. Asked my brother th run up to airgas and swap out my 20 size bottle. This morning looking over the weeks reciepts and they charged me...Drum roll please.... $34.72 for a 20 size swap. I will NEVER go in that store again. P.S Any one know where in the Philadelphia area where I can buy a 125 bottle, reasonable?

34.72 for a 20 !!! whoa! thats not far off of what a swap costs for my 4 foot tall tank (i think). i cant remember the size exactly. speaking of which i need a new one of those too. i haven't fired up the mig in ages, not enough room and too much burn-y stuff.
    Son of usmcpop. Lincoln SP175+, Miller Syncrowave 250, Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC, Victor O/A, Index 745 Mill, Clausing 5904 lathe, Harbor Freight 8x12 lathe.

Accurate is a relative term...right?

Have you phoned them up to complain? The squeaky wheel principle applies.

That's what I paid last time for my 80 at Airgas. I'll be going to Linweld now as they are about half that. Airgas seems very high, especially for the level of customer service they give.

Dave
    Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Red (not lincoln) inverter TIG/Stick
    MM180
    SP125+

well it goes to show the old adage "get the biggest you can afford"
    that 35 bux wasn't for the gas, but storage and handling, you see a 20 takes up as much room as a 300 (relatively ((you can't stack cylinders)), on the truck from Airgas to the fill plant and back, on Airgas's floor as well as the fill plant's floor, factor in the fuel costs for shipping (it costs little more to truck a load of big cylinders than a load of 20's)

AirGas small bottle

I recently went to the local Gas supllier (used to be ArgaGas) to swap out or get it filled.

New company owns it, but same guy working the counter. Swapped my tank for filled one for $24 & change.

I have to agree with Pumpkinhead on this one. Years ago when I bought my first bottle of CO2/Argon I asked what the price was for refills for the various sized tanks. Turned out, at that time, there was only a 25 cent difference between the smaller portable size and the almost immobile large size. I went with the larger size and bought a hand truck. The clerk explained the price difference to "labor" costs saying everything other than the gas inside was more or less the same cost either large or small.
    Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Airgas sucks, plain and simple. I use my local guy for everything, and his prices and service can't be beat.
    "Weld It And You Won't Be Screwed"
    Rescued from the boneyard SA-250 on a fully equipt trailer (My Wife's Explorer cries every time I hitch up)
    Trailblazer 301G (can't touch the SA-200 for stick)
    Arcair K-4000 A.K.A "The Hissing Cobra"
    HF- 251 TIG box for the TB with a Weldcrap torch, Yes I weld aluminum
    More than a toolbox full of stuff on an F-350 that is way to small

I like Airgas, but don't buy my gas there. I get it from an independent welding shop that will fill customer owned 250 and 300CF cylinders.

I got a 250CF of C25 filled for $48.00 recently.

I was told it cost 10.00 in gas to fill a 250CF cylinder. Rest is labor, transportation cost, insurance, and lots of profit.
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    The clerk explained the price difference to "labor" costs saying everything other than the gas inside was more or less the same cost either large or small.
    you hit on something else very relavant, labor, it takes 1/7 the work to fill a 150 as it does a 20 (7 connects/disconnects as opposed to one). and don't kid yourselves labor is expensive, we all weld, some for cash, do you charge your customers just for materials and power? no, you charge for your skill (labor), i'm not sayin' it takes Einstein to fill gas cylinders, but those doods need to be paid as well, those bux come from the end user and trickle up, AirGas BIG name supplier= more dollars out of the lil' guy.
    it's like buying the ol' lady Cartier instead of the local jewelers wares, same stuff (gold and gems) but the prices sure do differ.

I know from experience that Airgas will screw you like a tied up goat.
    tjb

They treat me like their biggest customer, & I'm certainly not. No one (around here) beats their prices on gas, wire, gloves, etc. They beat the web prices on the Trailblazer + Spoolmatic + Suitcase, and they discounted everthing bought at the same time to near net cost (best I can tell).

Talk to the store manager. If he wants your business (& if you do most or all of your business there) he has the flexibility to help you with pricing.
    Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
    HTP MIG2400

Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
    Clarke Hotshot

Quote Originally Posted by TJButler View Post
    I know from experience that Airgas will screw you like a tied up goat.
    Some of us aren't familiar with this analagy. Could you please explain how you screw a tied up goat? Do you do it soft and gentle, or rough without lube?

Quote Originally Posted by fatfrank View Post
    Some of us aren't familiar with this analagy. Could you please explain how you screw a tied up goat? Do you do it soft and gentle, or rough without lube?
    Personally, I don't care how he does it. Just as long as he stays the HE** away from me, I'd rather not hear about the details. he must be from someplace like Arkansas or something, because we don't do that in Texas!
    Contact me for any metal polishing needs you may have, my avatar is a pic of a standard, painted fire axe that I ground, sanded polished and buffed to a mirror finish.

Quote Originally Posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
    I'd rather not hear about the details. he must be from someplace like Arkansas or something, because we don't do that in Texas!
    well, i'm a yankee, (nyuck, nyuck) uh, Northerner, and prefer to stick their hind legs in my hip boots.