Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: spool gun info

spool gun info

Hello, I am new to the board and have a question about spool guns.
    I purchased a BetaMig 250 back in the in the mid 90's with the spool gun controller but not the gun itself and never got around to getting one. I need to do some aluminum welding and want to puchase the spool gun but I see that the betamig250 has been discontinued. Does anyone know if the gun for one can be found. How about one that will retrofit my betamig controller?
    thanks,
    John

Give Hobart a call at 800-332-3281 and they'll be able to advise you if any current products will work. A quick search of the owners manuals (per the link above) lists a beta-mig 251 and it accepted an Olympic 30a gun. Don't know if that's the same as the current offering or not.

Good luck,

Clay
    HH187

Clay,

I called hobart and was told the old SP2000 gun line was sold to Thermal Arc Co. who makes the new SP2001 but it has the wrong connectors for the old betamig 250 controller.
    He said there is currently nothing he knows of that will interchange. So my hope is to find a used SP2000. Any ideas?

John

Spool gun issue

Quote Originally Posted by 250betamig View Post
    Clay,

I called hobart and was told the old SP2000 gun line was sold to Thermal Arc Co. who makes the new SP2001 but it has the wrong connectors for the old betamig 250 controller.
    He said there is currently nothing he knows of that will interchange. So my hope is to find a used SP2000. Any ideas?

John
    All you have to do is order a 4 to 6 pin adapter 171312 from thermal arc and then you can use the SP2001 spool gun which is part# 407838b-002 which is a 25ft gun which is sold by thermal arc as well. Your betamig had the 4 pin connection on the front. The newer SP2001 gun has a 6 pin. Buy both items and you will be good to go.

Khucklehead,

thanks for the info.

I called my local Praxair dealer and gave him the numbers but he said he didn't show anything like that. He is calling Miller,( who he says bought Hobart, so I assume Miller is Thermal Arc, or vica-versa) and see if he can find any info and pricing and will call me back.

thanks,
    John

Clay,

Oh Yeah, doesn't sound good does it.

My Praxair guy called back and said that the only recourse I have is to use the millermatic #3035 spool gun @ $518.25 and an adapter cable @ $231.00 to make it work with my machine.

I don't thinks so Verne..

Let a penny in 1995 hide a dollar today.

thanks guys for all of your help.
    John

Gotta wonder if this would work?
    http://www.welding-direct.com/spoolgun250amp.html
    HH187

The Hobart spool gun was made by CK . Same gun as the Thermal Arc . Also the same gun as the Lincoln "Magnum SG " . Only thing different was the color, and the gooseneck ( which took different tips )

You can buy the Magnum SG still . Make sure you buy the version with remote WFS . Lincoln carries both

You will need modify the amphenol to match the Hobart so it will plug in

spool gun

Quote Originally Posted by 250betamig View Post
    Khucklehead,

thanks for the info.

I called my local Praxair dealer and gave him the numbers but he said he didn't show anything like that. He is calling Miller,( who he says bought Hobart, so I assume Miller is Thermal Arc, or vica-versa) and see if he can find any info and pricing and will call me back.

thanks,
    John
    Sounds like the praxair guy is just pushing miller from the sounds of it. He evidently did not call thermal. ITW, (the owner of miller) bought the complete rights to hobart, then the government stepped in on a monopoly issue, so they sold off the 250 amp unit powersupplies and above to thermal arc along with industrial wire feeders.

Quote Originally Posted by TRG-42 View Post
    The Hobart spool gun was made by CK . Same gun as the Thermal Arc . Also the same gun as the Lincoln "Magnum SG " . Only thing different was the color, and the gooseneck ( which took different tips )

You can buy the Magnum SG still . Make sure you buy the version with remote WFS . Lincoln carries both

You will need modify the amphenol to match the Hobart so it will plug in
    I know this is a really old post but I'm hoping for some updated information.

I have an early BetaMig 200 that I would really like to put a spool gun on. In looking over this thread and others that I have found it sounds like the SP-2000 was superceded by the SP-2001. The SP-2001 had a 6 pin connector vs a 4-pin connector but Thermal Arc apparently at one time sold an adapter part # 171312.

I can't seem to find any sales listings for an SP-2001 however the post I quoted from TRG-42 indicates that the Lincoln Magnum SG might be the same as either the SP-2000 or the SP-2001. Unfortunately I can't find any current sales information for the Magnum SG. However I do find a Lincoln Magnum 100SG Spool Gun K2532-1 that is available at a reasonable price.

What are the odds that I can buy a Magnum 100SG and get it to work on my BetaMig 200? I don't mind making adapter connectors/cables etc. I just want to make sure the gun would work with my welder.

Also I'm assuming that the Remote WFS mentioned by TRG-42 means "Remote Wire Feed System". Looking at the Magnum 100SG it sure looks like it has the Remote WFS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brad

Hobart BetaMig 200
    Linde HDA-200 AC/DC Tig/Stick
    Dayton Buzzbox