Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Welding In the Rain?

Question for the professional weldors here.

As a fair weather workshop weldor, I have always wanted to ask.....

What happens, say, if you are out on a job, and it's pouring rain, and it's some kind of "emergency" and you simply must get the job done. Let's say, for sake of argument, it's a Bridge Truss or a Tower Support Arm or something "critical" that needs attention. These may not be good examples but you get my point.

OK, so it's pouring rain, and you need to start welding. You simply can not move the work indoors. What do you do? Postpone? Install some sort of portable SHELTER, hope the weather clears suddenly, or do you just hope for the best under the circumstances?

Sorry, I have always wanted to know the answer to this!

THANKS!

Hobart StickMate LX 235 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 125 EZ
    Hobart Handler 187
    Champion 4500
    Mag-Power MP 55 Plasma
    Lincoln Precision TIG 185
    Smith O/A

Clarke 95e

I weld in the rain all the time. Be extra careful about using wet gloves to put wet electrodes in the stinger. Use DC welding processes only. Find ways to dryly insulate yourself from the weldment or the electrode while changing electrodes.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I weld in the rain all the time. Be extra careful about using wet gloves to put wet electrodes in the stinger. Use DC welding processes only. Find ways to dryly insulate yourself from the weldment or the electrode while changing electrodes.
    I didn't know it ever rained in LasVegas.

Hows the weather, I'm flying out in the a.m. to spend a few days at the Mirage?

Thanks Mac, I knew you would have a good response.

Any other issues? I may have to do this some day. Does the bead change consistency or cool too quickly?

What if you are welding vertically and rain is pouring on your work?

Ever tried O/A in the rain?

Thanks!

Hobart Handler 125 EZ
    Hobart Handler 187
    Champion 4500
    Mag-Power MP 55 Plasma
    Smith O/A

Clarke 95e

Ummmmmmmmmm lets see I built bridges, and container ship docks in the Seattle area for over 20-years, now WTF did we do when it rainedÖÖÖ..Go home? Nope!

Where is that visqueen, or BFBT?

Quote Originally Posted by fatfrank View Post
    I didn't know it ever rained in LasVegas.
    It doesn't. But this is the Internet. I make everything up and most people buy it. Ask JT...

It doesn't. But this is the Internet. I make everything up and most people buy it. Ask JT...

Thumbs up OK, I get the point

I realize the question may have seemed rediculous to some, but when I think of shipyards and container work, I typically think of stationary welding situations that are at least somewhat geared to have some type of weldor friendly ergonomics. Somewhat!

My question was really, IN THE FIELD, away from your shop or a shop, with a portable welder and pouring rain or sleet or who knows what with NO assiatance and NO shelter anywhere. A situation I may find myself in some day.

Forgive the ignorance, but I have never welded at your level! Respect is intended.

Hobart Handler 125 EZ
    Hobart Handler 187
    Champion 4500
    Mag-Power MP 55 Plasma
    Smith O/A

Clarke 95e

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ShopFloorTalk

Millermatic 350P, M-25, M-40 guns
    Dynasty 300DX, Coolmate 3, Crafter CS-310 Torch
    Trailblazer 302, 12RC, WC-24
    30A spoolgun
    Spectrum 2050

Thermal Arc Plasma Welder PS-3000/WC-100B

Honestly the biggest problem is seeing.

I could spend all day telling you stories about welding in the rain.
    Best thing is thick rubber gloves, or really thin ones that can fit inside your leather gloves.

Cheap rain gear, (it all burns)!
    When itís really raining hard, duct tape your collar, and sleeves.

And the big one, very comfortable muck boots! There is no such thing as waterproof leather boots, trust me!

I Can Imagine!

I had already thought about the "being able to see the work" issue.
    If it's pouring rain, the drops have got to partially occlude your vision on the lens of the hood. If it's raining that hard, I would try Rain X on the lens.

Some bright boy is going to come up with a visor wiper and motor just for this situation... Auto Darkening, with build in Visor Wiper

I have a good pair of rubber mucks. Duct tape is a good idea. I think Mac's "DC only" is probably the most purdent advice.

I can see it now. Me against the elements. I don't know how you guys do it at times like this.

You should share a few "stories"

Hobart Handler 125 EZ
    Hobart Handler 187
    Champion 4500
    Mag-Power MP 55 Plasma
    Smith O/A

Clarke 95e

Quote Originally Posted by prowess View Post
    I had already thought about the "being able to see the work" issue.
    If it's pouring rain, the drops have got to partially occlude your vision on the lens of the hood. If it's raining that hard, I would try Rain X on the lens.

Some bright boy is going to come up with a visor wiper and motor just for this situation... Auto Darkening, with build in Visor Wiper

I have a good pair of rubber mucks. Duct tape is a good idea. I think Mac's "DC only" is probably the most purdent advice.

I can see it now. Me against the elements. I don't know how you guys do it at times like this.

You should share a few "stories"
    Have you overlooked the ESAB Luxus 457, with Air Conditioning, Defrost, Heater, Wipers, and Cirrus Radio???
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Damm Carl, I really only ever got hit with about one raindrop,, ha but does it add excitement with some salt water too?

Well in my world since about 1980 you could pretty much count on DC only, because the company had an Intershield feeder strapped to your azz!

Another problem is welding flange to web stiffeners in I-beams. When fabing these beams, itís faster to lay the beams on their sides and make the long web welds flat. Sooner or later the water will dam up on you, Iíve taken a O/A torch or an air line to blow the water out in front of the weld. You have to be careful, or the next thing you know youíre removing metal, instead of depositing it.

Hotfoot, is that for real? Or did you get creative again?