Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Accura or Ellis bandsaw

I'm kinda fed up with my Chinee 4x7 bandsaw. Getting it set for mitre cuts and then trying to go back is just more trouble than I care to deal with any more, not to mention the constant battle to get it to cut straight and even!

So, having recently received a windfall bonus from work, I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet and buy a decent mitre cutting bandsaw. I thought about one of the Grizzly or Homier units, but I've decided that sooner or later I'll have to sell it (hey, everybody has an estate auction of some kind someday, right?), so I might as well buy a unit that will have some residual resale value, as well as being of good or better quality.

The Ellis is obviously a great choice, but even at around 2K$ for the 1600 (or a bit less if I buy direct, I'm told) , it is still a bit of a reach for me financially.

I recently ran across an Accura swivel head saw on Ebay that looks kind of promising, but the picture is small and hard to tell what kind of quality I'm looking at. Anybody out there have any experience with one of these? They're around $1300 + delivery and are said to be better than the Chinese-made units and has a 1" blade for accuracy.

Kiv
    TA 251
    TA 150GTS
    Miller 175
    Hypertherm 1000

Quote Originally Posted by kiv
    I'm kinda fed up with my Chinee 4x7 bandsaw. Getting it set for mitre cuts and then trying to go back is just more trouble than I care to deal with any more, not to mention the constant battle to get it to cut straight and even!

So, having recently received a windfall bonus from work, I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet and buy a decent mitre cutting bandsaw. I thought about one of the Grizzly or Homier units, but I've decided that sooner or later I'll have to sell it (hey, everybody has an estate auction of some kind someday, right?), so I might as well buy a unit that will have some residual resale value, as well as being of good or better quality.

The Ellis is obviously a great choice, but even at around 2K$ for the 1600 (or a bit less if I buy direct, I'm told) , it is still a bit of a reach for me financially.

I recently ran across an Accura swivel head saw on Ebay that looks kind of promising, but the picture is small and hard to tell what kind of quality I'm looking at. Anybody out there have any experience with one of these? They're around $1300 + delivery and are said to be better than the Chinese-made units and has a 1" blade for accuracy.

Kiv
    TA 251
    TA 150GTS
    Miller 175
    Hypertherm 1000
    I'm pretty sure that if you check it out,you will find out that the Accura saw is also Chinese,like most of their equiptment that I have seen.There was a time,a long time ago,when they offered a few higher quality Taiwan machines,but I havent seen any lately.I have'nt looked at their saws,but I have noticed that the quality of their lathes have taken a dive.The last one that I demoed,had terrible gear and bearing noise and a bad vibration.I would call the distributor and get some info.,before I jumped in to anything.

tooldude56
    Lincoln Square Wave Tig 255
    DC600/LN7
    XMT 304/64 feeder W/ digitals
    Esab PCM-875 plasma
    2 -Oxweld O/A ,W-17/CW-23 torches,R-77 2 stg reg.
    new Clausing Metosa SM1560VS Smart lathe CNC/Manual
    Wells index 12x48 mod. 847 vertical 3HP. mill,3 axis DRO,3 axis PF.,Maxi-torque-rite PDB.
    Dake #3 arbor press
    Kalamazoo H9AW hor. metal saw
    16" Kolley vert. metal saw,
    Trinco 36" blast cabinet with collecter
    All Snapon
    huge Summit vert. bandsaw
    6x18 Reid Rollerway surface grinder

Quote Originally Posted by tooldude56
    I'm pretty sure that if you check it out,you will find out that the Accura saw is also Chinese,like most of their equiptment that I have seen.There was a time,a long time ago,when they offered a few higher quality Taiwan machines,but I havent seen any lately.I have'nt looked at their saws,but I have noticed that the quality of their lathes have taken a dive.The last one that I demoed,had terrible gear and bearing noise and a bad vibration.I would call the distributor and get some info.,before I jumped in to anything.

tooldude56
    In an email they said that it was made in Taiwan, not mainland China. Given my frustration with most imports, and the fact that Ellis is only a couple hundred miles east of me, I may decide to go the extra $$ and get an Ellis anyway...

Kiv

Quote Originally Posted by kiv
    In an email they said that it was made in Taiwan, not mainland China. Given my frustration with most imports, and the fact that Ellis is only a couple hundred miles east of me, I may decide to go the extra $$ and get an Ellis anyway...

Kiv
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably wouldn't regret getting an ellis.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I been using my Ellis for a few years. Not a bad saw but have broke the gear box shaft two times now. Once when the saw was still fairly new. Figured it was a fluke so I robbed another gear box from another used ellis that was bought for parts. Just last month the shaft broke in the same spot. The shaft just twisted in half right at the output side of the ouput shaft. This time I called Ellis to see about buying a new shaft and was told they don't carry parts for that saw but Central welding had them. I called Central, They said sure we got em but you have to buy the whole gear box to the tune of $375.00. Crud to that so I ended up turning down 2 new shafts myself. Cost me a few shop hours but oh well. It is a good saw overall so why buy a new one.
    When the project engineer comes to you and say's "In theroy this will work", Be afraid. Very Afraid.