Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Trek 180

Trek 180

Is the Trek 180 being discontinued/ eliminated from Hobart's line up?
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Hmmm... $950. here: http://www.hobartweldshop.com/servle...ers/Categories

And the "list" price here is now $850. http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/ and it no longer links to the spec page.

Edit: No longer available at Northern Tool.
    Last edited by usmcpop; 10-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------
    DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

HUH.... This is first time I have seen or heard about it....

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

I hope not! I love this machine. But after a couple years of faithful service mine is acting up, I think the batteries are failing. I gotta call Hobart this week, I hope they can help me!

check "hobart shop"

Probably going to be discontinued if listed with other refurbished items. I do not think it sold very well. Something like the engine driven MIG welder Miller had. Too small of a market.
    Ornamental fabrication shop worker
    At home...
    2011 Hobart Handler 210MVP, 2013 spoolgun
    homemade 6000watt generator--13hp Honda engine
    miller maxstar 200 stick/TIG

There's plenty of market, Hobart just failed to look for it. Trying to sell a $1400 unit to hobbyists for fixing their rig on the trail isn't necessarily realistic, but there are plenty of welding professionals who could use this for all sorts of residential gigs (it's highly portable, carried to any location, no engine noise, use long runs of cheap extension cords) and would pay the coin because it's a business investment. I can think of a half-dozen handyman services in my area who didn't know about this unit but coulda used it for general repairs and would have purchased it if they understood what they were getting for their money (merely one example, I'm not saying handyman services are THE key to success and I realize most don't do any welding).

Furthermore Hobart focused too much on the fact that it can run off the grid but never sufficiently pushed how it's a 180amp wire feed from 110V power and your power cord is only a charge wire, just like putting a battery on a trailer to power a winch and then you can run a much smaller charge wire from the alternator to the trailer battery.

I could go on and on, but throwing the Trek into the Ultimate Adventure to try to impress the 'wheeling crowd and then running a few promos thru Northern Tool with free shipping does NOT the adequate marketing campaign make. Esp in the off-road market you're already competing with Ready Welder and Gremillion's company whose name escapes me, but NO ONE ELSE is making a portable 180A wire feed and pushing it to pro's where power is within, say, a couple hundred feet. Plus this COULD be a primary garage welder for Johnny DIY if only he was a bit more educated about what he was getting out of the package, specifically 220V capability in a 110V machine AND every once in a while he can just carry to the back yard sans cord to fix the railing or the swing set.

I realize the initial price was a sticking point but like all new technology if these could take off a bit more price would drop, but that's a hard hurdle to overcome I know.

I'm just sayin'..............there's a market but this is not Field of Dreams; if you build it they will not JUST come if they don't know it exists, you gotta go find your market and I thought that was why companies had marketing departments.
    Last edited by Keith_L; 11-04-2013 at 11:29 PM.