Hobart Welders
Home » Weld Talk
Weld Talk Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

buy a rat zapper

it electrocutes them

I had a pesky mouse that bought it last night, he thought it was safe but I re-rigged the trap and broke his little neck, it dont take much to thrill me in the morning.

Have seen some made for 'Pack-Rats', made like a guillotine. Make a box out of wood, or whatever's handy, at one end an opening ends with a funnel that just allows the head thru. A trigger (Pedal type) would release a sharpened blade set in runners, that would decap the rat. There is a slot in the top of the box for the blade to go thru. The blade was over the box to get some momentum. Best one I ever saw though was a tractor. . . One morning before school dad was getting ready to plow the driveway. The dogs chased a pack-rat out of a wood pile and straight for the tractor. The rat jumped up the 3-point thru the seat area and into the motor. Dad ran over to look, and scared the little guy right into the fan blade. . . Can you say pack-rat-bath. Dad was covered from head to toe with rat. . . Nice Huh?

You guys are going about this the wrong way. You go to the animal shelter and pick out the badest looking cat you can find.

I worked at a fab shop in Atlanta that had rats the size of cats. If you went in the morning to open up you could hear them running around and you would think a person was sneaking up on you! So the owner goes out and found one of the biggest cats I have ever seen! This guy was bigger than some dogs out there. He made him a place to sleep and gave him water but very little food. It didnt take long before he went to work and we started finding suprises everywhere. He even would have battle scars. He just about cleaned the place out before he figured out he could intiminate us into feeding him from our lunches. Would just sit there staring until you were about to take a bite then he would knock it on the floor so it was fair game. I loved him to death we called him the Raternater.
    Don't sneeze with your hood down!!

Am I right that if a wanted to electrocute a rat with a welder, I'd have to use a mig, not a tig? Those traps that electrocute rats -- is that high voltage, low amperage? TIG is contstant current and MIG constant woltage?

Not realistic questions, you understand -- just trying to get a feel for this stuff...

No a welder will not efficiently electrocute a rat . they are designed to be safe for the operators not to electrocute them.
    Just having to ask this question means that you do not have the knowled to safely work with leathal voltages so for safty sake do not try this.
    Just buy a large rat trap and attach an anchor to it so the rat stays put for easy recovery you do not want a decaying rat within smelling distance. Terry

A Yale Graduate Mouse

Before I built in Killingworth, I lived in Orange, and had a yale graduate for a mouse in the house, used talcum powder, to track him,for 7 days strait he would lick the peanut better off the trap and not trio it, brand new trap, well that sucker wasnt going to win,,,SO i took a piece of popcorn and sewed it on the trap with a neddle and thread, put some peonut butter on, figured i would be a nice guy for his Last supper,mice also love popcorn, BINGO,,He had the braclet around his neck in the morning, but was very well fed,,Jack

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Lingle
    Just having to ask this question means that you do not have the knowled to safely work with leathal voltages so for safty sake do not try this.
    Terry
    LOL You got that right!

Why is it that these welders are relatively safe? Clearly they have a lot of power.

I always though that amperage was the real killer -- like, you could generate an eletrostatic charge of thousands of volts but far sublethal amperage. My my TIG does 200 amps, but at a pretty low voltage, so it must need a really low resistance path (not a human). I can see how this would be safe. But a MIG -- that's contant voltage, right? So if it hits a relatively high resistance (like your hand) it should jack up the amperage -- ah, but this probably has a relatively low upper limit.

I understand that even small shocks can be dangerous -- not advocating experimentation, you understand. Just trying to figure out why electricity gets dangerous.

Like those rat traps which electrocute rats -- they use a couple of D cell batteries? How the heck does THAT work?

Like those rat traps which electrocute rats -- they use a couple of D cell batteries? How the heck does THAT work?
    Rat Tazer!!!
    Rat Zapper!!

Or get a large capacitor, 20 mf or so, wire it to two plates on the bottom of your rap-trap-box. BAP!!!

I've never built a rat trap but I have lived in a couple.

(ooops, I gues those were rat holes)

Quote Originally Posted by 49degreesnorth
    LOL You got that right!

Why is it that these welders are relatively safe? Clearly they have a lot of power.

I always though that amperage was the real killer -- like, you could generate an eletrostatic charge of thousands of volts but far sublethal amperage. My my TIG does 200 amps, but at a pretty low voltage, so it must need a really low resistance path (not a human). I can see how this would be safe. But a MIG -- that's contant voltage, right? So if it hits a relatively high resistance (like your hand) it should jack up the amperage -- ah, but this probably has a relatively low upper limit.

I understand that even small shocks can be dangerous -- not advocating experimentation, you understand. Just trying to figure out why electricity gets dangerous.

The welder voltage is not high enough to overcome the resistance in your body. The eletricity needs a path to follow and you are not quite good enough. You can still get shocked but usually not enough to kill. BUT-BIG BUT, if conditions are just right your welder can kill you. That's why there is all those warnings in the owners manual and the labels on the welder. So don't encourage the possibility.

A small shock killing you is a matter of timing and how the electricity travels through your body. Your heart works because there are tiny electrical "shocks" or triggers that make it beat in time. The heart action just isn't a one note thing. It's several notes in tune. If you get a shock that causes the heart to get stuck on one note it starts to flutter and stops pumping blood. It doesn't take much of a shock to cause it.

The rat traps that kill by shocking take the DC voltage and change it to a pulsing voltage which can be transformed to a very high voltage. Very low amperage but the high voltage pushes the amperage through the rat and high voltage zaps the rat.
    Jim-bee

It is current through your nervous system that kills you. Currents above 1/10 amp certainly will disrupt your nervous system and if across vital organs will kill you .. Your bodys internal resistance is in the ball park of 500 ohms at initial contact. Your skin resistance is much higher because the surface layers are dead. The exact value depends on a lot of factors like how high the voltage is , where you make contact or are you sweating , or ????? Once flow starts your internal resistance apparently drops . Your skin is destroyed at the contact points and the current increases .
    That is why each electrical contact event is unique.
    In general the magic number is 600 vac. All voltages above that are concidered lethal. Guarding and special safety precautions apply when working around these voltages , below that an incidental contact is much less likely to be fatal. This is why there are no lockouts or special features on low voltage panels for protection

Welding equiptment has typical open circuit voltages below 90 volts so the contact current is limited well below the danger threshold by your skin resistance. even so prudent welders try to avoid becoming part of the current circuit .

To summarize it is current that kills but it is the voltage that causes the current to flow.
    Lower current shocks cause muscle spasms that cause you to clear the circuit and may even cause you to step back which can be very dangerous when you are 50 feet in the air.

hope this helps Terry

My neighbor tells me lots of things he has had happened to him. He was in a nuke plant pit welding. Just had a new welder he started to use. Went to move it and when he touched the case got zapped. Didn't wake up until a couple days later in the hospital. Had a burn in the palm of his hand where the stinger had worn a hole in the glove. Also some burns on his feet. The experts thought some way the welder case was energized with about 1/2 million volts from the power plant. He doesn't know how they got him out of the pit. He was down about 90 feet. The doctor told him that because he was hot and sweaty that the voltage went around him and not through him. He did get some because of the hole in his glove. He said he had a taste in his mouth for a year like having a nail in his mouth.
    Jim-bee

Rat trap

Get one of those plastic buckets about eighteen inches high. Get a dole pin long enough to run through a drink can and place on top of the bucket. Get a wood strip about three inches wide and long enough to run from the floor to the top of the bucked at one end of the dowl pin. Place some peanut butter on the drink can and -when the rat climbs up the ramp onto the can, the can will spin and the rat falls into the bucket. If the bucket is half full of water the rat will drown.

just build a device to launch it into the neighbor's yard like these guys did with a squirrel!

You'll probably have to copy and paste this into the address bar, I can't figure out how to make it a link.

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/flysquirrel1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    I think I just heard a PETA member pass out and hit the floor!!!!!!!!!!
    PEOPLE
    EATING
    TASTY
    ANIMALS